Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: With no LandCruiser 70, or Defender 90/110 in America, what

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a '95 Range Rover County.... great axle articulation smooth ride. Just ok off road. Poor power and fuel economy from the 4.0l v8.
    This is when I learned the old axiom: "Lucas Electronics, the original inventors of darkness". On the whole, it was poor build quality on the interior and did not age well. Had it for about 150k miles.
    It was mentioned before about the Land Rovers leaking fluids. That is just a hall mark of any British brand, more so with Rover. They could not design an oil seal to save their backsides.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The market for an SUV on a frame with low range was mostly replaced when the four door pickups became popular.

Most of the SUV buyers are happy with the better handling and don't miss the low range.

I find the small bed I used to make fun of on the four door pickups to be far more useful than the back of a 2 row SUV.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The market for an SUV on a frame with low range was mostly replaced when the four door pickups became popular.

Most of the SUV buyers are happy with the better handling and don't miss the low range.

I find the small bed I used to make fun of on the four door pickups to be far more useful than the back of a 2 row SUV.
    Yup. Replacing my wife's old Sport Ute with a Nissan Frontier later this fall. Probably a 2016/2017. They haven't changed them in nearly 10 years, as close to an "old school" truck as you will find these days. Already bought a Diamondback bed cover for it!
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    “For me it wasn't so much of a universal conspiracy but my bank account. Even as a new Major in 1994, my wife was bringing in a bigger paycheck working as a nurse in the local hospital in Clarksville, TN. It was rather discouraging comparing my Leave & Earnings Statement to her check stub. At that time Land Rover was importing the Defender 90 and I believe 500 limited edition Defender 110's. That latter was what I wanted, but the sticker price was $55,000.”

As an 01E /8 in 1994, I think full basepay, BAH, and BAS where I was came to about 38k a year. My wife worked full time for even more and no kids yet or planned for a couple of years. A V6 4WD 4Runner was about 29k then. In 1995 I saw a hardtop Defender 90 and wanted one real bad. I believe they were about 38k.

Ramairthree luck and they were stopped from importing them the same year.

I was not dumping 40k into a used previously 38k new vehicle.
    Last edited by ramairthree; 07-29-19 at 20:31.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    As an 01E /8 in 1994, I think full basepay, BAH, and BAS where I was came to about 38k a year. My wife worked full time for even more and no kids yet or planned for a couple of years. A V6 4WD 4Runner was about 29k then. In 1995 I saw a hardtop Defender 90 and wanted one real bad. I believe they were about 38k.

Ramairthree luck and they were stopped from importing them the same year.

I was not dumping 40k into a used previously 38k new vehicle.
    I think my 1994 Discovery 1 was $28,500 and that was the base model new. The exact engine in my Discovery was in that Defender 90 (3.9L, 241 Cubic Inch V8). The best part of that vehicle has been the American designed aluminium block engine, previously in the 1964 Buick Skylark.

So you were prior enlisted before O-1? Army?
    Last edited by OH58D; 07-29-19 at 20:04.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I think my 1994 Discovery 1 was $28,500 and that was the base model new. The exact engine in my Discovery was in that Defender 90 (3.9L, 241 Cubic Inch V8). The best part of that vehicle has been the American designed aluminium block engine, previously in the 1964 Buick Skylark.

So you were prior enlisted before O-1? Army?
    Enlistment 11B Ranger Bn, ETS into enlistment NG while using my GI Bill, then back to active duty.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    My parents had a early to mid 90s Isuzu Trooper. Shift on the fly 4wd, rear seats that reclined, and the 60/40 rear door that opened sideways, along with a lot of greenhouse and head room. Acura picked it up as a rebadge. In retrospect, it was really nice. Bigger than an explorer, but smaller than a Tahoe.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    My parents had a early to mid 90s Isuzu Trooper. Shift on the fly 4wd, rear seats that reclined, and the 60/40 rear door that opened sideways, along with a lot of greenhouse and head room. Acura picked it up as a rebadge. In retrospect, it was really nice. Bigger than an explorer, but smaller than a Tahoe.
    I had 4 Isuzu Troopers between 1990 and 2008 and found them to be the perfect size. I was very sad when they stopped importing them and ended up with a Hemi Jeep Commander for a bit then a 5th gen 4Runner from 2010 until now. All saw multiple yearly snow trips to Mammoth and fought feet of snow with various success.

All I can say is my 4Runner Limited with AWD is the best by far although even my 1989 old boxy Trooper with manual hubs did just fine up and down steep 4L hills in the rain and mud during my initial 4WD training courses in the high desert.

I'm old with a family now and consider a dirt fire road to be off roading so the new 6th gen 2020 Explorer is looking mighty interesting... At least until Toyota releases a truly badass new 4Runner in a couple/few years!

Hopefully...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Deleted - i was responding to an old post.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-29-19 at 21:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Enlistment 11B Ranger Bn, ETS into enlistment NG while using my GI Bill, then back to active duty.
    Awesome. When I talk High School JROTC or even college ROTC cadets, I try to describe the different paths to a commission. I always find one's route thru their Army career, especially to a commission, most interesting. A young lady who went to High School with my son enlisted in the ARNG right after graduation, branched Field Artillery with basic and AIT at Fort Sill, then 2 years at a military junior college where she did the Academy Prep Program, was nominated and appointed. She joins my son at West Point next month. She's a little thing at 5 ft 5, but tough little gal. She wants to branch MP out of West Point.

Back to that Defender 90 you wanted, I still miss not having the money to buy the Defender 110 Land Rover offered in a limited edition. You see them on eBay offered at $80,000 to over $100,000. Sickening - they're not gold plated. Despite the old style 4WD system, my '94 Discovery is still very capable in all situations I can put it in.
    Last edited by OH58D; 07-29-19 at 21:59.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast