Thread: Detachable carry handle exposed to high heat...

Feedback Score

Detachable carry handle exposed to high heat...

Hot enough to melt plastic on it. Not hot enough to cause visible damage to the metal. So the question is is it salvageable or scrap?

The spring did loose temper. It will need replacement it the consensus is salvageable.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If it shoots straight you are good, if not replace it. Probably the only real way to find out if no visible damage.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Was this carry handle owned by you before or after the fire? If it was owned by you before the fire, have insurance buy a new one. If you got it second hand, I would not use it. Many reputable carry handles for sale that would offer peace of mind.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What was the heat source? If it got hot enough for the springs to lose temper, you might have bigger things to worry about.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    House fire. It was in the gun "safe" not mounted on a rifle. Found in the rubble inside the safe. It was a GI surplus bought in a lot of parts from the DRMO when individuals could still make small lot purchases at the auctions.

I kinda figured it was a lost cause. Guess I just needed to hear it from someone else.

Insurance check has been spent, BTW. New AR came with the rear sight. The "restoration" was to be a kill a few hours project in the climate controlled work shop opposed to being out in the summer heat yard work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When in doubt, throw it out.
    If you're just curious about its function, keep and shoot it to see.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Change out the spring. It is not like the carry handle will cause a catastrophic failure or effect accuracy.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post
    House fire. It was in the gun "safe" not mounted on a rifle. Found in the rubble inside the safe. It was a GI surplus bought in a lot of parts from the DRMO when individuals could still make small lot purchases at the auctions.

I kinda figured it was a lost cause. Guess I just needed to hear it from someone else.

Insurance check has been spent, BTW. New AR came with the rear sight. The "restoration" was to be a kill a few hours project in the climate controlled work shop opposed to being out in the summer heat yard work.
    If the sight hasn't warped, I say buy the springs you need and rebuild it.

Feedback Score
    The spring has been ordered.

Thank all.