Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY AR10's

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

DIY AR10's

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    You have the knowledge and determination to make it happen. And good for you. I would guess with Marks help we could make it happen. How much does your DIY guns cost? Still no plans just curious.

I run Heavy Buffers in my two LMT's as I run them suppressed 100% of the time. And that helps mucho.

PB
    PB

Precision 308: $1200 (-) optic & mount
    Meaning optic and mount not included)
    LMT MWS (upper and lower) $1700, optic and mount not included.

Caveat to both builds, I generally have LPK parts on hand, parts in sales and some parts for those builds I bought on the E&E, like the UBR Gen 2 stocks and BUIS etc. It’s one of my secrets to keeping my build costs down. I have a few guys I buy from pretty consistently and know the parts that are good to buy used and keep buying from the bros I trust who give me good deals.

What can do you have on your LMT’s? With my 762 SDN-6 my MWS would have my shoulder so messed up after running drills for a few outs I could t take my shirt off. So I ended up parting out the MWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 07-16-19 at 15:15. Reason: Cleared any confusion up with (-) optic and mount
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll say this...
    A good 308 AR is expensive because it is worth it.

99% of people in the world could realistically get by on a DPMS.

But if you are trying "to save" then really you are gonna still be in the 2500 dollar zone.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

DIY AR10's

I built up an Aero .308 and have shot a KAC. I wish I just saved up some more money for the KAC and gone that route. I will just have to find a 16” barrel with a rifle gas length system for the Aero. The KAC is just a soft shooter.

Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I guess I don't appreciate recoil from the 308 AR the same as I do from say, a .45-70. Coming over from smaller calibers, the recoil feels little more potent. Of course, a self-assembled rifle will be hard pressed to measure up to a 4k one with years of R&D behind it. No doubt it could be done, but why not enjoy the victory of a working firearm and keep the higher expectations pinned on those north of 4k?

BA offers an moa guarantee. Beyond that, if you want lighter, or more accurate, get out your wallet.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I DIY'd an Aero build and the people saying gassing is a pain in the ass are right.

Used a 14.5 BA barrel and Aero parts initially, along with an adjustable gas block because I'm not a total idiot. At first, it was UNDER gassed. Bolt wouldn't lock back on empty without a can. With a can, it was fine. Long story short, the parts I swapped to were: Magpul A5 length buffer tube (lets me use regular AR15 buffers instead of the stubby 308 buffers), carbine buffer, Tubb flat wire recoil spring, KAK BCG.

Something I found interesting in the testing process with the A5 length tube. Once I had the gas tuned in the general neighborhood, I tried it with and without the can (Surefire SOCOM 7.62) with a regular carbine buffer, H, H2 and H3 buffer. They all cycled fine with and without the can, however with the can, the felt recoil increased the heavier buffer I used. So I slapped in the carbine buffer, tuned the gas to run that unsuppressed and rolled with it. It runs fine now with or without the can, but it sure was a lot of troubleshooting and parts replacement to get there.

It truly would have saved me a loooooot of trouble to buy a prebuilt AR10.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Personally if you have the funds there's no better all around choice than a knights armament rifle(imo).I had a lmt mws lm8 that was honestly just too heavy for a 16" 308.The "quick change" barrel feature and monolithic upper is pretty cool if you plan to swap calibers a lot so that adds a bit of weight.The only real issue I had with the lmt was the fact it was so over gassed with a can it just wouldn't run reliably even with a heavy buffer. I sold it to get my first sr25 ec and from that point on I picked up a 2nd sr25 which is the CC variant. With or without the suppressor the sr25's run reliably and with noticeably lighter recoil.I also put together one with a cmt receiver and rail set along with an lmt bcg and criterion barrel that ive very happy with.If you aren't prepared to spend enough time doing the research on parts to make one of the large frame gas guns reliable then I would probably go with a factory built rifle like the new lmt mlok variant with mars lower and keep it simple.In all honestly a good quality 308 build is going to be very similar in price to the lmt to begin with

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    PB

Precision 308: $1200 (-) optic & mount

LMT MWS (upper and lower) $1700 (-) optic and mount

Caveat to both builds, I generally have LPK parts on hand, parts in sales and some parts for those builds I bought on the E&E, like the UBR Gen 2 stocks and BUIS etc. It’s one of my secrets to keeping my build costs down. I have a few guys I buy from pretty consistently and know the parts that are good to buy used and keep buying from the bros I trust who give me good deals.

What can do you have on your LMT’s? With my 762 SDN-6 my MWS would have my shoulder so messed up after running drills for a few outs I could t take my shirt off. So I ended up parting out the MWS.

Not sure what your question is but I'll say :
    I run my LMT's as more of a Long range or DMR type role
    My Colt is light enough to run both long and CQB type role

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    03scgt

Im surprised you didn’t put a MAMS on your CC. I have it on my ECC and it feels like cheating. I have one on my homemade M110K and wish I hadn’t. I have a QDC but too lazy to install yet.

A CC is kinda like a CAR-15 308 from Hell. It’d be great against vehicles

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Not sure what your question is but I'll say :
    I run my LMT's as more of a Long range or DMR type role
    My Colt is light enough to run both long and CQB type role

PB
    The question was what suppressor do you use on your LMT MWS Since you said you run it suppressed 100% of the time.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I guess I don't appreciate recoil from the 308 AR the same as I do from say, a .45-70. Coming over from smaller calibers, the recoil feels little more potent. Of course, a self-assembled rifle will be hard pressed to measure up to a 4k one with years of R&D behind it. No doubt it could be done, but why not enjoy the victory of a working firearm and keep the higher expectations pinned on those north of 4k?

BA offers an moa guarantee. Beyond that, if you want lighter, or more accurate, get out your wallet.
    Actually a sub-MOA guarantee.

And I’ve found that guarantee to be true with every barrel I’ve purchased.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast