Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY AR10's

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the awesome replies. Ill tell you the path I have taken. I bought one LMT many moons ago, loved it but sold it due to Obama making it worth double.

Later bought another LMT MWS when prices got real again. Paid $2,500 out the door for a NIB slick side FDE, 308 in 16 incher. Love it. Bought a back up BCG from a fellow M4forum guy. Then bought myself a 20 inch 6.5 CM barrel, played ( using LMT's quick change barrel system) with that and really liked it. Then a buddy said, I can get you the LMT upper and MARS lower for cheap. Now I have a complete LMT gun, which a monkey could put together. So, I kinda built my own but not really, no risk there IMHO.

Then Colt has the balls to offer the 6.5CM for $1399, that I cant control myself from buying. My LMT's have NF optics, but I am playing with this Colt with LPVO 1-8 for now. I always said I wanted to do the ACOG on an AR10 but the LPVO give me 8X vs 3.5X, so thats that. And I ran some 25 yard plates at 1X and it was pretty cool.

So, I am in the "buy complete gun" camp and that will likely not change based on this fine thread. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-15-19 at 13:56.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Most of the AR10 parts are DPMS pattern, so getting stuff to fit and play together isn't all that difficult IMO. The only grey area for me was the buffer system. Most people run a standard AR15 carbine buffer tube with a specialized 308 buffer. However, KAC, LMT, and Armalite use a slightly longer buffer tube (A5) with a standard sized H3 buffer. I tried both setups, and they both functioned just fine.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Most of the AR10 parts are DPMS pattern, so getting stuff to fit and play together isn't all that difficult IMO. The only grey area for me was the buffer system. Most people run a standard AR15 carbine buffer tube with a specialized 308 buffer. However, KAC, LMT, and Armalite use a slightly longer buffer tube (A5) with a standard sized H3 buffer. I tried both setups, and they both functioned just fine.
    I ran an A5/carbine buffer on both of my 308’s and they ran like a charm.

I am definitely curious with the Slash buffer, I just balked at the fat price tag for a heavy buffer I could make myself with titanium weights. I also ran to KAK heavy buffer for a while. In both cases I had zero cycling issues with and w/out my can, running MEN 147gr 7.62x51 to 175gr Federal Gold SMK. I did have issues cycling S&B 200gr subs out of both guns, but I did not pursue making any configuration changes to try and run subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Thanks for the awesome replies. Ill tell you the path I have taken. I bought one LMT many moons ago, loved it but sold it due to Obama making it worth double.

Later bought another LMT MWS when prices got real again. Paid $2,500 out the door for a NIB slick side FDE, 308 in 16 incher. Love it. Bought a back up BCG from a fellow M4forum guy. Then bought myself a 20 inch 6.5 CM barrel, played ( using LMT's quick change barrel system) with that and really liked it. Then a buddy said, I can get you the LMT upper and MARS lower for cheap. Now I have a complete LMT gun, which a monkey could put together. So, I kinda built my own but not really, no risk there IMHO.

Then Colt has the balls to offer the 6.5CM for $1399, that I cant control myself from buying. My LMT's have NF optics, but I am playing with this Colt with LPVO 1-8 for now. I always said I wanted to do the ACOG on an AR10 but the LPVO give me 8X vs 3.5X, so thats that. And I ran some 25 yard plates at 1X and it was pretty cool.

So, I am in the "buy complete gun" camp and that will likely not change based on this fine thread. Thanks guys.
    Well I knew I was the odd man out on my suggestions against the recommendations of our Jedi Masters but hey somebody’s gotta be ornery and disagree every now and again.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Well I knew I was the odd man out on my suggestions against the recommendations of our Jedi Masters but hey somebody’s gotta be ornery and disagree every now and again.

You have the knowledge and determination to make it happen. And good for you. I would guess with Marks help we could make it happen. How much does your DIY guns cost? Still no plans just curious.

I run Heavy Buffers in my two LMT's as I run them suppressed 100% of the time. And that helps mucho.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-15-19 at 19:14.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I am definitely curious with the Slash buffer, I just balked at the fat price tag for a heavy buffer I could make myself with titanium weights. I also ran to KAK heavy buffer for a while.
    I bought the Slash buffer first (2015), before KAK came out with their version, it worked great from the get-go, perfect functioning with my first few uppers that didn't have the adj GB. But I understand this is largely dependent on the barrel mfr's getting the gas port sized right.

For my 2nd M5, I bought the KAK buffer, and functionally, IMHO, they're equivalent. But I still use the Slash 308 carbine spring in both of them, since that only cost $15 (affordable), no need for me to re-invent the wheel.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Feedback Score
    I have often considered an LMT lower and one of Mark LaRue’s upper kits. Would be an affordable rifle made of descent parts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I feel like it's kinda been conventional wisdom for a while that building your own 7.62 AR is riskier than building the little brother. At least I've always felt that way, maybe I'm imagining the consensus. Perhaps that is changing; but for now it seems like most people still hold to that.

Going on that assumption, has anyone ever gotten into the weeds on why this is? Are the engineering challenges with the larger round just that much harder to accommodate with parts tolerances? Too many different standards among manufacturers? Just curious on anyone's input.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    From what little I know, there are many. But if research is done properly you can manage through the big landmines, the smaller are more subtle. Best of luck.

PB

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast