Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Black Hawk Down": question for soldiers?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    One of the best resources on Gothic Serpent is Leadership and Training For The Fight by Paul Howe.
    We also have a member here who was there.
    The gun runs from helicopter pilots kept the somoli's from overrunning some of the American positions. The estimates they killed are in the thousands.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A militia or irregular force can often pull off impressive bombings and ambushes. Deficiencies in training, equipment, leadership, tactics, and motivation often show up when they decide to stick around for a real fight.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Better training, better gear, mindset, etc,.....

Fallujah seems to me textbook we won, they lost and lost ugly, cuz superior training, better gear, mindset, wins the day, but I'm claiming no expertise. 'Muricans are good at war, and anyone who thinks otherwise usually dies...
    Fallujah, we only won because we could get inside the OODA loop faster, and we learned real, real quick. Our tactics going in in really sucked, we didn't have the kind of experience we really needed but we learned on the fly. We came out far better educated Force then we were when we went in.

Training and tactics aside, our gear, mindset, and interoperability, all those were superb.

Feedback Score
    Read the book about 20 years ago, watched the movie a few times. My question was, In the movie, why didn’t Durant’s crash site get more air support covering fire?

It is amazing now to watch the movie and recognize so many actors that are famous now, but weren’t that well known when the movie came out. The dad from modern family, Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones, and a bunch of other ones. You know it’s a war movie when the donkey gets more screen time then all the women combined.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Read the book about 20 years ago, watched the movie a few times. My question was, In the movie, why didn’t Durant’s crash site get more air support covering fire?

It is amazing now to watch the movie and recognize so many actors that are famous now, but weren’t that well known when the movie came out. The dad from modern family, Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones, and a bunch of other ones. You know it’s a war movie when the donkey gets more screen time then all the women combined.
    If I remember correctly, they were firing RPG's from dug in pre-prepared positions in that specific area. That wasn't depicted in the movie, but I believe was why coming in to that specific area from the air was near impossible.
    I could be wrong, but that's the way I remember it from the book.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We did not have gunships and we were skiddish about losing another helicopter to a RPG.

It was a breakout film for so many, did you know POTUS Ford son was also in the movie?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    A militia or irregular force can often pull off impressive bombings and ambushes. Deficiencies in training, equipment, leadership, tactics, and motivation often show up when they decide to stick around for a real fight.
    The reality of being the guerrilla fighter is, there are no medivac's coming in to pull your wounded butt out to medical care and you can get a horrible case of blood poisoning from a bad foot blister, you might have a bit of logical hesitation.
    Well maybe at least in western countries and values.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My guess would be, as others have alluded to, to avoid yet another chopper going down. Even a skinny militia would be able to figure out pretty quickly that we would likely send more air assets to cover the downed choppers - the downed choppers were a two-way target. Every chopper that went down sent a tidal wave through any contingency plans, too. You can extrapolate that from the movie without reading the book, but the book paints it much more starkly.

As for the number of future stars, I always see one that I missed watching it previously. Just a week or so ago it was on Starz or Showtime and I noticed Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) for the first time. "Band of Brothers" is like that, too.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast