Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Black Hawk Down": question for soldiers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Mogadishu Airport, late September 1993, AH-6. Note the flight helmet on the right pylon.
    You were a Little Bird "guns" pilot?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    You were a Little Bird "guns" pilot?
    Yes Sir. Commissioned as a Reserve Military Intelligence Officer in 1980 via the Early Commissioning ROTC program at the University of Arizona. After I got my Bachelor's degree in 1982, I branched Aviation (My second choice). Flight School at Fort Rucker in 1982-1983. Air Frame School for the OH-6 in 1983, also at Rucker. Spent 3 months at Fort Huachuca the Spring of 1983 flying various "classified" radar jamming gear between Libby AAF and Laguna AAF at Yuma Proving Grounds. Recruited for TF 158/TF 160 early Summer of 1983 and moved to Fort Campbell in July 1983. Got to do Air Assault School that same July. Did Grenada in October 1983, Nicaragua in 1984-1985 for 18 months, then back to Rucker for Captain's Career Course into 1986. After that a variety of assignments including Operation Prime Chance, Desert Storm, Somalia and eventually Kosovo, plus some other places in between I cannot mention.

I promoted to Major after Mogadishu in early 1994 and did a variety of staff positions at the Pentagon and Fort Meade (Rented a house in Linthicum, Maryland) before returning to Fort Campbell and staff officer for the 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regt., 101st Aviation Bde. And of course that unit was a Kiowa Warrior squadron, thus my online name of OH58D.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Yes Sir. Commissioned as a Reserve Military Intelligence Officer in 1980 via the Early Commissioning ROTC program at the University of Arizona. After I got my Bachelor's degree in 1982, I branched Aviation (My second choice). Flight School at Fort Rucker in 1982-1983. Air Frame School for the OH-6 in 1983, also at Rucker. Spent 3 months at Fort Huachuca the Spring of 1983 flying various "classified" radar jamming gear between Libby AAF and Laguna AAF at Yuma Proving Grounds. Recruited for TF 158/TF 160 early Summer of 1983 and moved to Fort Campbell in July 1983. Got to do Air Assault School that same July. Did Grenada in October 1983, Nicaragua in 1984-1985 for 18 months, then back to Rucker for Captain's Career Course into 1986. After that a variety of assignments including Operation Prime Chance, Desert Storm, Somalia and eventually Kosovo, plus some other places in between I cannot mention.

I promoted to Major after Mogadishu in early 1994 and did a variety of staff positions at the Pentagon and Fort Meade (Rented a house in Linthicum, Maryland) before returning to Fort Campbell and staff officer for the 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regt., 101st Aviation Bde. And of course that unit was a Kiowa Warrior squadron, thus my online name of OH58D.
    Guessing you've flown past Tiger Island?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Mogadishu Airport, late September 1993, AH-6. Note the flight helmet on the right pylon.
    What about the flight helmet?
    Thanks for sharing with too! Really awesome!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Guessing you've flown past Tiger Island?
    Only passed it, and of course it's a major landmark on aviation sectionals. Most of my flying during the 18 months in and out of Tecucigalpa were to jungle LZ's north of Managua, either flying close air support for other aircraft dropping off contraband, or doing infil and exfil of various personnel, in uniform and civilians. I was a 1LT and Army Aerial Taxi Driver.... A lowly position in the whole scheme of things, but it allowed me to see another part of the world. Funny thing was during that whole episode, my wife and the rest of our families thought we were in Panama, it was that tightly controlled.
    Last edited by OH58D; 07-17-19 at 22:30.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What about the flight helmet?
    Many ask about the pic, and wonder what that bump on the pylon is, thinking it was some extra type of weapon. Nope, just a nice flat place to keeping it from getting banged up. Note the Little Bird to the far left is set up with outboard benches and the FRIES (Fast Rope Insertion Extraction System), designed for insertion of Rangers/Delta Force, not as an attack platform.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Really enjoyed this thread and your insight. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and pictures.

Many ask about the pic, and wonder what that bump on the pylon is, thinking it was some extra type of weapon. Nope, just a nice flat place to keeping it from getting banged up. Note the Little Bird to the far left is set up with outboard benches and the FRIES (Fast Rope Insertion Extraction System), designed for insertion of Rangers/Delta Force, not as an attack platform.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I watched Black Hawk Down dozens of times as a kid, for a while I watched it every Saturday. Awesome photo. I don’t think I could’ve ever been a pilot, but Little Bird pilot seems like one of the coolest jobs of all time to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses, and big thanks for everybody that was there (and Fallujah, and Ia Drang, and Hue, and Pointe du Hac, and . . . . . . .).

What is/are the best books to read on BHD?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    What is/are the best books to read on BHD?
    I don't mind plugging Mike Durant's book from 2006, "In the Company of Heroes". I went with him on a few of his book signing tour locations in 2007. His is a firsthand account of the 160th's operations. I think it's still in paperback.
    NRA Life Member

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast