Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul Gen2 vs Gen3 PMAGS

Feedback Score

Magpul Gen2 vs Gen3 PMAGS

Hello guys, I was wondering if anybody else are heart broken by their Gen3 pmags? For some reason the gen 3 are a bit more loose in the magwell and the follower sometimes would miss the bolt catch just by putting the mag in without an upper. If I give the Gen3 a slight cant forward when inserting, it will miss the bolt catch. if I do the opposite, it will catch. I noticed the follower is a bit higher compared to the gen2s. Never had this issue with gen 2s. I run a spikes complete lower. Could it be my bolt catch is out of spec or gen3s are bad? Going to be replacing my bolt catch tonight with another milspec and hope for the best. If it's not good, I guess I'll have to do the 9mm catch mod

https://youtu.be/rZsMI-OaYRY

Made a quick YouTube video
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    That’s interesting. Will check mine tonight.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I am heartbroken that you have to manufacture a Gen 3 issue by inserting them into a lower only and wiggling them around. Hundreds of thousands of of Gen 3's seem to be working just fine in hundreds of thousands of M4/M16/AR/416's and other ASSEMBLED rifles.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 06-25-19 at 23:07.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I am heartbroken that you have to manufacture a Gen 3 issue by inserting them into a lower only and wiggling them around. Hundreds of thousands of of Gen 3's seem to be working just fine in hundreds of thousands of M4/M16/AR/416's and other ASSEMBLED rifles.
    Well it was just weird to see my old gen 2s work flawlessly compared to gen 3s. FYI the gen 3s actually will lock back, BUT when I use a pair and do my 1R1 drills using one full mag and one empty, sometimes it will not lock back. Thanks for your help tho LMAO

Tried the same mags, different lower, same thing. Swapped out the bolt catch then boom! Fixed it. I made another discovery in the process though, my friend let use a gen 3 black instead of the MCT collor, and it's a waaaaaay better fit, the bolt catch isn't on the edge of the follower.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So how do they actually feed when shooting?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    So how do they actually feed when shooting?
    When the mag has ammo, the follower starts from the bottom, and when it empties, the follower naturally resets at the bolt catch, making it function. Only problem I encounter is when I do a 1Reload1 drill using a pair. When I insert an empty mag (follower all the way up) and shoot the round in the chamber, the bolt won't lock back.

IMG_20190625_230151.jpg

Both gen 3 but the MCT one sticks out more. Out of spec for sure

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    One of the design features of the M3 is that it’s thinner than the previous generations, allowing for a better fit in tight magwells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never an issue with gen3 in 10+ guns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    One of the design features of the M3 is that it’s thinner than the previous generations, allowing for a better fit in tight magwells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's forsure. Gen 2s don't free fall on some lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Never an issue with gen3 in 10+ guns.
    Yeah I don't doubt that at all. I've tried many mags from gen 2s to 3s. I just got a couple that were out of spec

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I second the suggestion to try a different bolt catch.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast