Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele Rail Failures Mega-Thread

Feedback Score

Geissele Rail Failures Mega-Thread

So, I finished a couple of 14.5" carbines last year and they both wear Mk14 rails. The Mk14 barrel nut is machined to such tight tolerances that both rails had to be seated with a bit of lube and a mallet. Both rails were purchased before the Mk16 was even released, and before USASOC production levels were increased to allow for overflow into civilian sales. Flex issues related to the Mk16 design have been decently documented before.

I am curious if any users on M4C, or elsewhere, have experienced minor or major failures of their G rails. I can remember one thread about a Mk4 rail having one of the screws come loose, and that G made this good with a replacement rail. Meanwhile, my Mk14s have been trucking right along with no flex issues, holding tighter than a Las Vegas virgin.

So, I am curious. What failures have any of you all experienced with your G rails? What version of the rail was it, what was the specific failure, and what were the conditions under which the rail failed?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Obligatory bump because this gonn be good.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    What failures have any of you all experienced with your G rails?

What version of the rail was it, what was the specific failure, and what were the conditions under which the rail failed?
    My only personal experience with a Geissele rail is a 15” DDC Mk4 on a 20” SPR. You’ve shot this rifle (remember, in a storm at 628y, where Noodles said it couldn’t be done with a .223 in the precision semi auto forum)

I’ve found the rail’s ergonomics to be poor for a carbine, and I’m surprised people put them on them. I bought it because I wanted a relatively lightweight (it’s heavy for what it is but not bad) rail with a quad rail at the end for various attachments, but mainly I bought t because it has a flat bottom which works very well for barricades.

With that said, it has been two years and I have beat the absolute shit out of this rifle (including one disassembly and reassembly for cerakote) and the rail is still solid.

I’d buy another one, but I don’t like the people that buy Geissele products (they are worse than Vortex fans) and I don’t see a need for more than one SPR anyhow.

It is certainly tougher than a BCM KMR that dented when it fell off a table.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    So, I finished a couple of 14.5" carbines last year and they both wear Mk14 rails. The Mk14 barrel nut is machined to such tight tolerances that both rails had to be seated with a bit of lube and a mallet. Both rails were purchased before the Mk16 was even released, and before USASOC production levels were increased to allow for overflow into civilian sales. Flex issues related to the Mk16 design have been decently documented before.

I am curious if any users on M4C, or elsewhere, have experienced minor or major failures of their G rails. I can remember one thread about a Mk4 rail having one of the screws come loose, and that G made this good with a replacement rail. Meanwhile, my Mk14s have been trucking right along with no flex issues, holding tighter than a Las Vegas virgin.

So, I am curious. What failures have any of you all experienced with your G rails? What version of the rail was it, what was the specific failure, and what were the conditions under which the rail failed?
    Well have you dropped it yet?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One of my buddies had an ALG rail (early version) that he used to pound in tent stakes for errecting a camo net. It dented in one of the MLOK, making it unable to accept an accessory in that spot. The rest of the rail was completely serviceable.

My friend was an 11B incase anyone was wondering.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Obligatory bump because this gonn be good.

This gonn be boring.

I have to ask though, is the POI shift really an issue for a thin/light hand guard or is it a "scandal" because USASOC was messing with it? I wouldn't expect for this type of tube to stand up to a drop test TBH. #railgate
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    My only personal experience with a Geissele rail is a 15” DDC Mk4 on a 20” SPR. You’ve shot this rifle (remember, in a storm at 628y, where Noodles said it couldn’t be done with a .223 in the precision semi auto forum)

I’ve found the rail’s ergonomics to be poor for a carbine, and I’m surprised people put them on them. I bought it because I wanted a relatively lightweight (it’s heavy for what it is but not bad) rail with a quad rail at the end for various attachments, but mainly I bought t because it has a flat bottom which works very well for barricades.

With that said, it has been two years and I have beat the absolute shit out of this rifle (including one disassembly and reassembly for cerakote) and the rail is still solid.

I’d buy another one, but I don’t like the people that buy Geissele products (they are worse than Vortex fans) and I don’t see a need for more than one SPR anyhow.

It is certainly tougher than a BCM KMR that dented when it fell off a table.
    Moderately off topic but what about a PRI tube?

They are pretty comfy.

I have a G trigger in two guns (I know I know not rails) and while they work okay I feel like I overpaid compared to what other triggers can offer

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    This gonn be boring.

I have to ask though, is the POI shift really an issue for a thin/light hand guard or is it a "scandal" because USASOC was messing with it? I wouldn't expect for this type of tube to stand up to a drop test TBH. #railgate
    If you rely on a Laser or BUIS then it is an issue.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Allegedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Copy that, but how many other FF tubes out there would suffer the same fate? Seems like this is an issue because it's supposed to be "military grade" and or Geissele fanboyism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast