Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Geissele Rail Failures Mega-Thread

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    It’s kinda funny listening to all these people talk about all these expensive rails shitting the bed.

Kinda reinforces why I run MOEs on any gun that isn’t built for NV use.

Anyone driven over a Geissele rail with a 5000lb SUV?

My MOE did fine.
    Just a guess, but I suspect a heavier profile rail (URX ii, URX 3.1, Larue, DD RIS ii) would also escape unscathed. My KAC RAS II, M4 RAS, and Carbine FF RAS are all built like tanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Railed handguards are over-rated

Last edited by MistWolf; 07-18-19 at 21:25.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    It’s kinda funny listening to all these people talk about all these expensive rails shitting the bed.

Kinda reinforces why I run MOEs on any gun that isn’t built for NV use.

Anyone driven over a Geissele rail with a 5000lb SUV?

My MOE did fine.
    Concerning the MOE, good enough is sometimes certainly good enough.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    While it’s certainly plausible given the design I don’t recall having seen said failure actually occurring.

I do know first hand the BCM rails fit a hell of a lot tighter on the barrel nut than anything than of the geisseles I’ve ever used so I’m inclined to think that’s a positive feature.

Any impact hard enough to tweak the rail on the barrel nut is probably already damaging the rail significantly anyways in that case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn’t matter how tight the barrel nut is to the rail. There is no mechanical connection.

The Noveske NSR is better than the BCM KMR.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I might have missed a page or two, but has anyone had problems with the ALG handguard setup? I see reference to mechanical connection, length of barrel nut, etc. The EMR’s are secured to the fairly long barrel nut by six screws. It’s aluminum, but besides that, it seems pretty durable.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    It doesn’t matter how tight the barrel nut is to the rail. There is no mechanical connection.

The Noveske NSR is better than the BCM KMR.
    Larue has a mechanical connection.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I might have missed a page or two, but has anyone had problems with the ALG handguard setup? I see reference to mechanical connection, length of barrel nut, etc. The EMR’s are secured to the fairly long barrel nut by six screws. It’s aluminum, but besides that, it seems pretty durable.
    It's a thin walled aluminum tube... People will have to realize that similarly designed rails will likely suffer similar limitations and make gear choices based on their application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Just because you’re an old codger who runs hand guards I used as a Private E-1 before we even invaded Grenada doesn’t make them “good to go”. They were the most “un-innovative” handguard known to the entire AR platform, and I am 110% certain I saw the heavens roll back and a choir of angelic hosts singing “Alleluia” when LaRue quad rail hit the market.

Just like the newer plastic Tonka trucks are inferior to the old metal Tonka trucks that would rust and cut your finger, but you could not blow up with fire crackers, (unlike the plastic ones) - plastic hand guards are inferior to a well engineered LaRue rail. (I speak not of overpriced KAC rails because I’ve never owned one, and the few KAC parts I have were rather unimpressive.) I know it’s a little scary, but you don’t have to be afraid of non-plastic hand guards.

ETA: ...or 30 rd mags.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Railed handguards are over-rated

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 07-19-19 at 09:09.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is where I start pulling some cards.

The older KAC legacy FF rails can and do twist off under enough hand torque. LT found a workaround to improve that but it is still very much bleeding edge of turn of the century tech.

I like LT and miss dat upper I made, but its hardly something the Lord made. If you aren't trying to strangle it...the legacy KAC FF rails work for most people but are outdated.

URX....well I like my 3.1s on my SR-25 carbines. I think the issue most people run into with URX is that it requires a unique and expensive tool to install.

But over the years the one rail I shot a lot with and miss is the older Vltor CASV. It was soooo no nonsense and was plug and play. You can do same with a MOE but MOE didnt exist back then.

If anyone gets to mess with an HK 416A5 HKEY rail...you may be pleasantly surprised how it makes it a whole new gun. a permanent 6 o clock and 12 o clock pic rail and slots for anything extra and lighter than the old quad rail that trapped a lot of heat.

Thats what people overlook. These guns are gas op and air cooled. They need to BREATHE.

99% of people really caring about these ricky ranger rails will never get full use. Like...I like to FF my stuff but I actually have more fun with my 80s vintage stock Colt CAR-15.

So many of these urinary olympics devolve into Coke vs Pepsi, Sega vs Nintendo, Britney vs Christina, etc

How much does it really matter? if you got the money, have your heart set, and know what you are getting then have at it

YOLO

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I think the original purpose of this thread has gone off the rails.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast