Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele Rail Failures Mega-Thread

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The BCM rail suffers from the same problem (if not worse) than the MK14/MK16.

They squirm around on their short barrel nut. There is no mechanical connection between the barrel nut and handguard other than the pinch friction. Any brand of rail that uses this mounting method has this problem.

After playing this game for the past 10 years, I have decided the URX 3.1, DD RIS2, or URX 4 are the only rails worth a shit on the market.

Until Colt releases the MRR on the American market, this issue with these pinch muffler clamp rails will continue to persist.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Deleted.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-19-19 at 06:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post

They squirm around on their short barrel nut. There is no mechanical connection between the barrel nut and handguard other than the pinch friction. Any brand of rail that uses this mounting method has this problem.

After playing this game for the past 10 years, I have decided the URX 3.1, DD RIS2, or URX 4 are the only rails worth a shit on the market.

Until Colt releases the MRR on the American market, this issue with these pinch muffler clamp rails will continue to persist.
    Is there an issue with this outside of lasers? My only rail right now is a urxiii but have a bcm on the way(different application).
    Everytime I talk myself out of it- yall start making me look at KAC uppers.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post

While it’s certainly plausible given the design I don’t recall having seen said failure actually occurring.

I do know first hand the BCM rails fit a hell of a lot tighter on the barrel nut than anything than of the geisseles I’ve ever used so I’m inclined to think that’s a positive feature.

Any impact hard enough to tweak the rail on the barrel nut is probably already damaging the rail significantly anyways in that case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Since KAC keeps coming up, its worth mentioning that KAC has a lot of long term experience building handguards for users that mount sighting systems on handguards. Perhaps more than anyone else.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Newsflash - the laws of physics still exert their force upon us and our beloved rifles.

Free float, uber lightweight rails, with heavy laser gizmos at the end of the rail (ie, a long moment arm) may get fuc&ed up if you drop them, beat them, or what not.

Another way to look at it - "ain't nuthing in this world for free".

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Newsflash - the laws of physics still exert their force upon us and our beloved rifles.

Free float, uber lightweight rails, with heavy laser gizmos at the end of the rail (ie, a long moment arm) may get fuc&ed up if you drop them, beat them, or what not.

Another way to look at it - "ain't nuthing in this world for free".
    I’d assume even more so with the MAWL since all that weight is hanging off to one side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The MAWL weighs 10.1 ounces, so I find it hard to believe that it is the direct cause of the damage to the MK16 rail on TOS. And for reference, a PEQ-15 weighs 7.5 ounces. So is that 2.6oz difference really going to cause the amount of damage done to that rail. I would say no and that there are some structural/fitment issues at play between the hand guard and the barrel nut, as well as a material issue.
    Last edited by drtywk; 07-18-19 at 17:24.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’d assume even more so with the MAWL since all that weight is hanging off to one side.
    I thought the same of the situation, that MAWL acts as a breaker bar in a way, if it was a PEQ15 this may not have occurred.

Not making excuses but I would bet that a MAWL dropped in the same fashion with a lot of rails would result in the same damage.

RISII/URX2 type of picatinny rails are definitely robust in this regard, thinning out(removing picatinny) rails is a tradeoff.

I’ve owned/seen URX3.1 rails(13.5) that have twist to them on factory rifles, I’ve seen armorers make custom fixtures to combat it on installs.

All of these rails have pros/cons.....LMT monolithic type receivers are probably the best fix to the issue.

I would love to see KAC gain permission of sorts from LMT and produce a KAC monolithic upper.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like my URX II. There, I said it. I went there.
    Shots fired.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast