Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel scraping inside the slide?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Question Barrel scraping inside the slide?

DEFINITELY - but is it TOO "much?"

BRAND NEW TRP Operator slide, mated to a(n upgraded - & cerakoted) mil-spec frame. It was WAAAY too tight, first time at the range. Wouldn't cycle, and every shot FTE (10rds. was enough that day!).

My 'smitty lapped the slide a bit, and although it's still tight, the gun fires and cycles perfectly, BUT...

Noticed the top of bbl was rubbing the inside of the slide a bit. I took several shots, from slightly different angles/flash, so hopefully they've done it some justice.

Area in question in particular, is to the right/below the "o" in "Auto"

My fingers are old and calloused, but I can't perceptively FEEL any 'roughness' to that area, which of course, means nothing.

What dost the brain trust think? Normal? Acceptable, Troublesome? Or...???

Put 200 rds. of Blazer aluminum through it, for reference. NO FTF's or FTE's, for reference.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Based on my own experience, and having spent time with a smith who's specialty is the 1911, I would hazard a guess that is unacceptable, to the point of troublesome in the long term. Fitment issue, maybe??

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy j View Post
    Based on my own experience, and having spent time with a smith who's specialty is the 1911, I would hazard a guess that is unacceptable, to the point of troublesome in the long term. Fitment issue, maybe??
    Someone suggested taking about the Shok-Buff, and trying it again. If that doesn't fix it, then maybe having my smitty sand a bit on the inside of the slide, for some necessary clearance. Short any other ideas, will try it w/o the Shok-Buff next week at the range.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Inside of slide Cerracoated?
    If yes, I’d see about removing it from the slide lugs.
    You have reduced clearance with Cerracoat build up and I assume it’s harder than the barrel steel.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It looks like minimal wear from what could be a variety of reasons -- loose linkage fit, perhaps rough-finished lug seats in the slide.

If you look very carefully you can see a very fine line between the "O" in .45 AUTO and the leading edge of the ejection port. You have a two-piece barrel -- typically a mass-produced item to make cheaper than a one-piece barrel from a forging.

Not a common failure, but it can happen:

rqynev.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Someone suggested taking about the Shok-Buff, and trying it again. If that doesn't fix it, then maybe having my smitty sand a bit on the inside of the slide, for some necessary clearance. Short any other ideas, will try it w/o the Shok-Buff next week at the range.
    Not a fan of shock-buff, but I wouldn't think that is the problem. My initial thought is the lock up is a little too tight and one of the locking lugs is dragging. I haven't spent much time with 1911s for about 8-10years now, so I could be way off base. Additionally, I just went and looked at my one and only custom 1911. built on a late 80s SA, fitted BarSto Marine Corps Match barrel. No idea how many rounds down the pipe, but has a solid lock up and zero rubbing on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    It looks like minimal wear from what could be a variety of reasons -- loose linkage fit, perhaps rough-finished lug seats in the slide.

If you look very carefully you can see a very fine line between the "O" in .45 AUTO and the leading edge of the ejection port. You have a two-piece barrel -- typically a mass-produced item to make cheaper than a one-piece barrel from a forging.

Not a common failure, but it can happen:

rqynev.jpg

I've seen a number of failure examples... cracked frames, bulged barrels, split barrels, barrel lugs sheared off, but never that one. Kinda interesting to see. Thanks

Feedback Score
    I'm wondering why it looks like a piece of blue & white paper is wedged in between the frame/slide and barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    DEFINITELY - but is it TOO "much?"

BRAND NEW TRP Operator slide, mated to a(n upgraded - & cerakoted) mil-spec frame. It was WAAAY too tight, first time at the range. Wouldn't cycle, and every shot FTE (10rds. was enough that day!).

My 'smitty lapped the slide a bit, and although it's still tight, the gun fires and cycles perfectly, BUT...

Noticed the top of bbl was rubbing the inside of the slide a bit. I took several shots, from slightly different angles/flash, so hopefully they've done it some justice.

Area in question in particular, is to the right/below the "o" in "Auto"

My fingers are old and calloused, but I can't perceptively FEEL any 'roughness' to that area, which of course, means nothing.

What dost the brain trust think? Normal? Acceptable, Troublesome? Or...???

Put 200 rds. of Blazer aluminum through it, for reference. NO FTF's or FTE's, for reference.
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Shok buff.

Feedback Score
    LOL NO SHIIIII... Thanks gaijin... Thought it looked like cardboard or paper... still LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Shok buff.
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast