Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Regret "getting into" 1911's or no?

Feedback Score
    Like many others, for defense I prefer modern pistols for the many reasons listed before. That being said I just built a 1911 and when I feel comfortable with it’s reliability it will end up in rotation.

What I like about the 1911 is I can build one and I have to fit parts, making it mine. You can build a glock, but it is just assembly. No fitting. For that reason I will probably always have and build 1911s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have owned Colt 1911's since 1980.

After a couple decades of using many fine European handguns (SIGs, Berettas, HKs, Walthers, Steyrs, etc.), the past 10 years have found me back once again with the Colt 1911.

I have also found myself starting to leave my ARs on the rack and grabbing my SA M1A instead. Might be nostalgia, might be senility, jury is still out on that.

Feedback Score
    I have no regrets. 1911's are by far my favorite pistol! I have owned, shot, and carried pretty much every type of pistol out there, but nothing is as accurate or feels as good in my hand as a full size 1911.

Feedback Score
    Browning knew ergonomics. It points very natuarlly, for me anyway. I am also forn of the HP.
    If I could only own firearms from one inventor, it would have to be him.
    Last edited by Pi3; 10-27-19 at 22:00.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Nothing fits my hand more naturally than a 1911----and a 1911 in 9mm is, accordingly, my favorite gun.

Feedback Score
    I started shooting when the basic options were revolvers, war surplus and 1911’s. I have tried every platform out there and always go back to 1911’s. I know them and trust them.

Feedback Score
    About 15 years I bought a Kimber 1911 to use for some classes later that year. The damn thing never ran quite right. So being the impressionable young man that I was, and being a friend to a number of 1911 smiths, I decided to get a custom pistol made. $2,000 later I had a Springfield 1%. It worked well, and I shot it well, but it got rusty and had to be thoroughly cleaned and oiled at the end of each day. So I had it hard chromed.

Where is it now? Hell if I know. I sold it and bought Glock 19s.

Feedback Score
    They are big, heavy, and limited capacity. I regret that I can only shoot or carry one at a time! I'm a dyed in the wool 1911 guy and whenever I venture into a plastic fantastic, I always venture back after a few days. I don't care that they rust and need a little more attention by way of a wipe down and some extra oil. I'm fortunate to have plenty back up pistols in case one goes down for repair but I don't believe they are more finicky than others... It just requires a special touch to fit something. It's the price you pay to play. Everything is a give and take and I think a 1911 government model gives me an edge that other pistols don't.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No regrets here although I only have one, a series 80 Colt .38 super auto. Lightly modified over the years, at first glance it looks stock with the possible exception of the now worn black Cerocote finish. Although heavy I trust it completely and I did carry it through some dark times in my life when I had to be out and about at all hours of the night. I haven't used it in 6 months and last it was cleaned was 12/17. Once I fire up my reloader again I'll have some .38 SA to shoot, some oil on the rails, barrel hood and it will be good to go.

Feedback Score
    My very first handgun was a Kimber 1911. Was never a fan of Glock and I figured if I was going to have a first it was going to be a 1911. It's had it's share of problems, even if very inconsistent when they do occur. My username comes from one of the issues that at times seemed to be timer-beep activated during a competition. When it runs, it runs great and I have always wanted to chalk that up to the platform itself.

I've shot good and bad 1911s over the years and with that platform, in my opinion, you really get what you pay for. I've since switched mostly to shooting and owning the "tupperware" pistols, including Glock. But a 1911 that runs well is always a joy to shoot and I feel it's a work of art just to look at.

As others have said, it's like owning a classic muscle car. It does what it does well, is awesome to own and be behind the wheel of but it isn't an everyday driver. You can use it as a daily driver but it'll be a whole new set of issues to keep up with when something simpler would do just fine for a fraction of the cost.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast