Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Regret "getting into" 1911's or no?

Feedback Score

Regret "getting into" 1911's or no?

Just curious how many regret making 1911's part of their hobby vs how many still have the love for them.

They've been on my mind lately. Don't have one currently. Always treated them like range toys and never really tried to get good with them.

Thought about getting my feet wet with something like Rock Island .38 super GI.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I look at 1911s like classic cars. Cool and fun to own. But monumentally impractical for day to day use.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I look at 1911s like classic cars. Cool and fun to own. But monumentally impractical for day to day use.
    Yep, exactly. I will always keep at least 1 or 2 well tuned 1911's around, because they're classics and fun to shoot. But for carry, modern pistols are cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain, and higher capacity.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    No regrets at all.
    Been doing 1911’s for over 40 years.
    Achieved Master/Grandmaster classifications with them in a couple disciplines, work on them, load for them and carry them- when weather dictates cover garments, or open carry is necessary.

That said, I have a P365 in an IWB on right this minute. ( :
    I think to be truly passionate about the 1911 requires two assloads of dedication in mastering and maintaining them.

Feedback Score
    A 1911 is not a gun; it's a lifestyle.

Feedback Score
    I see.

I wouldn't carry one unless it was an alloy frame and even then that's heavier than I like.

It would be a HD / auto / range pistol. Full size. .38 Super my first choice, 2nd choice 9x19. Still needs to be reliable.

Want it for the hammer, slimness and short single action trigger.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Cool

ONLY regret not getting into good ones sooner.

Tactical tupperware are like NEW cars; 'plasticky' and under warranty, but monumentally impractical for day to day use.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I think to be truly passionate about the 1911 requires two assloads of dedication in mastering and maintaining them.
    This.
    - and a fat wallet
    - and a healthy lower back, if you're going to carry.

My unloaded C&S 9mm steel commander weighs 40oz and has 10+1 capacity. My M&P M2.0 Compact 4", with a mounted CT sight, is 24.5oz and has 15+1 or 17+1 capacity. That's a full pound lighter, with higher capacity thrown in too. Since I have lower back problems, the M&P Compact and Shield were helpful for weight savings, regardless of the capacity issue.

But unlike some of these threads, I don't see any need to play off 1911's against modern plastic pistols or dump on the 1911. They both have had their places in history and on your hip or in your range bag. They are tools, use what works and what you like. I like and shoot both. Though I'm kinda' conflicted as I like my 1911's better as far as shooting goes, but for carrying and defending yourself, I found the modern plastic pistols more practical.

Feedback Score
    I currently split the difference and carry a '70's technology Beretta Cheetah.

I'm going to borrow a 1911 from a buddy and take it out a couple times.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    ONLY regret not getting into good ones sooner.
    This is true if you have the funds. I like my basic old 1991a1 Colt. But I'm not a huge pistol shooter anymore... and thus don't favor a platform that requires $1500 or more to get reliability.

I do however appreciate the nice 1911s.. believe me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast