Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Regret "getting into" 1911's or no?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm not a Llama/star hater (my first 1911'ish pistol was a Llama in HS), but I'm not sure I'd call them 1911s.

Dont know about that particular one, but the Llama 45s I'm familiar with were more 1911 style and did not have parts interchangeability.

Also, real 1911s rattled. I grew up around people who had surplus 45. They used to be cheap. They rattled. (Not really, but you could detect play)

This was not a worn-out gun issue it was designed that way. New colts of that time were similar. I bought my first one late 70s new in box.

Bullseye shooters started chasing accuracy early 70s and the tightening up cult started, as did reliability issues.

But as most could qualify with box stock 1911s, serious users (cops when allowed by policy) knew better than to compromise the pistol.

I know some want both, but to me there is a reasonable balance. When people start lapping frame rails or similar, I think they've crossed a line.

A LW commander (uncustomized) I have is currently my most accurate 1st shot pistol. It's acceptable accuracy in follow-up. I don't know if its me or the pistol. And don't really care.

Its a 70s alloy frame pistol with unknown rounds through it compared to Walther P99 and PPQs made 40+ years later shooting a lighter recoiling round. I'd expect them to be better, and rapid fire, they are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hell, I was thinking about guns all day and what I would want to have if I got stuck in one of those horror shows from this weekend. I am thinking about picking up lightweight compact 1911 for carry. I want to be able to make a precise shot in a situation like that. At first I thought, well maybe it is time to start carrying one of my highcaps like my G19 or Beretta, but nah, a nice thin, easy to carry 1911 with a commander sight radius and a 3 pound trigger would be just what the doctor ordered. I am agnostic as to 9mm vs .45 since this gun is going to be for face shooting.
    Yep that's what you need. The perfect pistol for ya:

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/ecp/

Try one of those out, and if it works great, post a range review here and I'll buy one too. You're the early adopter dude.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Without looking, my stable went from 2 to 8 after the Vickers class and got three more on the bench, 2 of which are only pending sight cuts, proofing and park. I like the way they shoot, are accurate and whats' alittle money. I only really shoot 1911s, 've got a couple of Glocks, an XDM, a couple of Sigs and a handful of S&W wheelers but I always come back to the 1911. OK, I occassiinally sneak out with G19 late at night to hit the supermarket or C store.

I think the 1911 bug hits us older folks who grew up in the 50/60/70s and were intoduced to them in the service or turned to them as an alternate to the wheelgun. Now realize, Glocks just came about in the 80s and S&W autos were... XDs and M&P autos ect in the 90s. I look back and look at classic muscle cars as 64-71/72. Modern kids think a Honda FWD with dual overhead cams is it along with their Glock.

I can see an alloy Government in my future as the weight starts to get to me.
    I know I should just keep my mouth shut and smile, but what fun is that?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I got the bug a few years ago. Got my SS Colt Gov't Pony in 45 ACP. Upgraded the sights, trigger and grips. "Qualified" for my CHL with it and turned all the heads of the new shooters and the course instructor. Love it's ergonomics, accuracy and smoothness. The heft feels good when holding it, cycling it and just checking it out as the classic that it is. But it is too heavy to carry comfortably for me, therefore I do not consider it a defense or even home protection pistol for myself. It has its place though, at least it is not a useless novelty like a Desert Eagle 50.
    My 1911 is a range queen and even more so a safe queen. I'm totally fine with that. No regrets. I would not personally jump into 1911’s full fledge. If I had there would have been good reason as if I found them to be “my thing.” But no regrets with my one and only.
    Last edited by matemike; 08-19-19 at 09:06.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I love me some 1911; carried them concealed for years. I sold them all because a) I was doing more training with Glock than 1911s, b) I wanted to consolidate all of my handguns into one platform, c) the cost was getting up there, and d) I don't 'collect', and if it doesn't have a purpose, it goes.

I used the 1911 exclusively in several LAV and Hackathorn classes and never had any issues; nor did I when I carried the MEU(SOC) 1911.

Feedback Score
    To me 1911s are range toys, I would not want to carry one.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBodyImportant View Post
    To me 1911s are range toys, I would not want to carry one.
    What makes you think this? Not arguing, just wanted to see where you're coming from.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Most people buy low end guns that aren't built right and then they try different band-aid fixes until they discover some combination of ridiculousness that functions for little while and then they blather on the internet about all the maintenance this thing requires.

A good 1911 will run and run and run, all they need is lube.
    This. In my opinion probably any high-end 1911 is good to go. Middle tier only a few brands would I purchase, and lower level guns I wouldn’t even consider. A 1911 is the only semi-auto pistol I own that I can reliably hit steel silhouettes at 100 yards with. Range and home defense definitely, but I wouldn’t concealed carry one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    What makes you think this? Not arguing, just wanted to see where you're coming from.
    For me it would be the same reason I wouldn’t concealed carry a striker gun, I like double-action hammer down. Especially since I prefer AIWB.

Feedback Score
    Sigh... I have to change my answer to YES. Not for the reason that you think.

Being a "modern" former jedi tactical guy, I always said I'd never really get into 1911's. Yes, everyone needs at least one 1911 in the collection, but that was it so it was WAY down on the priority list. Then I bought one... Then another. Those weren't good enough. Now I just blew a good chunk of the retirement budget and snagged a Wilson Supergrade in .45.. Great. None now? No.

Changing my answer to YES because now I want ANOTHER ONE, this time in 9mm.. This is a sickness. I have a Sig P226 Legion, but now I want a Wilson or Nighthawk 9mm 1911 that cost more than three P226 Legions... Please.... STOP.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast