Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Regret "getting into" 1911's or no?

Feedback Score
    I started out with a 70 series Colt and shot it for years, some idiot tinkered with it (me) and things got wonky.

I happily carried my Springfield Loaded since the mid 80’s and it was flawless for several thousand rounds. Then the ejector broke one of the pins off and SA replaced the frame under warranty. I’ve put over three hundred flawless rounds thru it since it came back. It’s ridden IWB since.

I have a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm with hundreds of flawless rounds through it. It goes in the woods.

I’ve had two Colt Commanders in .45acp neither was reliable.

I find a full size 1911 as easy to carry as any other duty size pistol and I shoot them better. In fact after losing 40 pounds I’ve been carrying IWB under a T shirt.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pappabear has a few 9mm 1911s that are fun as hell to shoot. Run good too. One is a Springfield I think, and the other is a Dan Wesson?

He loads up 50 clips and we heat those suckers up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I dont mess with them now but I was a 1911 devotee in the 70s. I had a Colt Commander and had a 1918 Vintage Gov model (my son has it now). The 1918 vintage one was more reliable..They are great guns for their historical/cult? value but there are better options these days. My only 45 is an HK45CT now but I mostly shoot 9mm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Another good reason to keep one around--if we ever get 10rd capacity limits (very possible in the increasingly anti-gun state of Washington), in that case with limited capacity forced on me, I would rather run a single stack, single action 9mm 1911 with 10 rounds since I can shoot it more accurately and enjoy training with it more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No I like my Kimber. Aside from my G21 and G34 it is the handgun I have shot the most and didn’t exactly baby.

If I get a 9mm 1911 it will be a Colt though. If not an STI. It’s easy to shoot. Almost like cheating

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I still love them. Not practical for carry IMHO. You can certainly carry and they will do the job, but hard to beat a HK VP9 or P30 or G19 depending on your preference.

Nothing shoots and handles like a 1911 to me. And they look and feel totally badass, I admire them.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I look at 1911s like classic cars. Cool and fun to own. But monumentally impractical for day to day use.

By comparison, an alloy frame 1911 makes most any modern doublestack a PITA to carry concealed.

Feedback Score
    Yes and no. It's a love-hate relationship. I too use the classic car analogy. A good 1911 is like owning a 1960-something American muscle car. Yes, new ones are safer, more reliable, and faster. The classic has to be given TLC and looked after. It's a PITA to field strip compared to your modern tupperware stuff. BUT... There's just something about it. When my 1911 is running well, it is more accurate than any of my metal Sigs. No, I won't regularly EDC a 1911 because of the size and weight, but wold have no reservations doing so if it was all that I had. So, it's worth it to me.

My goal is to Get a Wilson, Night Hawk or GC some day as a retirement piece.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Still love them. Only thing I wish I had done was get a commander size frame for carry purposes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm agnostic on Commanders. They certainly look cool and seem tactical practical but also reach a lot of diminishing returns for what a 1911 can really do. If it were the 70s, then yeah. Today, nah. may as well go full scale.

Oddly, I have this splitting mentality with G19s and G34s and see no point to G17s. But thats another issue

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast