Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Regret "getting into" 1911's or no?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No regrets. I'm not a die hard 1911 fan but I like them enough to buy one. Looked around until I found a used TRP for half the price of new and bought that one. I shoot it sometimes. But I only like full size 1911s. Been casually keeping an eye out for a used blinged out 38 super. Not on the top of any list of must haves or needs, infact way down on the bottom. But if I see one I may pick it up if it has what I'm looking for from a 1911
    Last edited by Arik; 07-19-19 at 08:42.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I regret it because I have mags that I need to sell since I sold all the guns. Now selling 45ACP.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTemplars View Post
    Still love them. Only thing I wish I had done was get a commander size frame for carry purposes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    The Commander frame is same as Gov’t Model/5” gun.
    It’s the slide that’s shorter; 4.25” vs. 5”.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I regret it because I have mags that I need to sell since I sold all the guns. Now selling 45ACP.
    Hmm...I'd guess used 1911 mags aren't worth much?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Just curious how many regret making 1911's part of their hobby vs how many still have the love for them.
    I never much cared for them in years past because I never fired one that wasn't:

a. chambered in .45 ACP
    b. either loose or simply decrepit.

For almost 40 years I laughed and sneered along with other dinosaurs about 9x19 1911's, but once I got to try a modern 5" all-steel 9mm, I stopped laughing and bought one for myself... then the wife had to have a shorter, lighter version; both were nothing fancier than SA Range Officers because we were not going to travel first class just to dip our toes in the pool. We had to have some patience and do a bit of fiddling on each to get them running 100%, but we are still not regretting it. These are sort of "range toy/hobby" guns, so take that for what it is worth.

Would I use one for social purposes? Sure, if it is one of our own... hell, I've carried lots worse choices than a 9mm 1911, though that is not exactly a ringing endorsement of either 9mm 1911's or my intelligence.

toc
    Last edited by theorangecat; 07-19-19 at 21:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    9mm 1911s really are like cheating. Esp steel ones. I have a 10mm 1911(my only other one) I actively take on hunts. Mine is 80s vintage but has the frame mods. Still I don’t get too cocky with the loads.

My only contention with the Commander is you are sacrificing a little bit of spring length and sight radius for a little bit more compactness. I don’t trust officer models. I guess if you were gonna carry it all day or were a girl maybe but naw. 5” govt is the sweet spot.

ETA I don’t trust a 1911 that doesn’t rattle a little bit.
    Last edited by Firefly; 07-19-19 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I don't regret it one bit. I only regret not getting into something better, sooner, and then sticking with it and just sitting back and sipping on tea while people run around like chickens with their heads cut off with their M&Ps, Glocks, &c.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    A 1911 is not a gun; it's a lifestyle.
    Just spit my coffee out because of this. Kinda sad when contemplated.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'll borrow one, shoot a couple hundred rounds through it, and if I like / shoot it well I'll get my own.

The only 1911 style gun I actually owned and put many rounds through was an old Llama .45. It was a long time ago. It actually ran pretty well and never broke for the 1000 rds or so I had it.

If I buy one for myself its probably going to be a RIA .38 Super.

Now that I think about it that Llama .45 was the first pistol I picked out for myself. (It was gift from a relative technically because I was about 14 or 15)

The 1st auto pistol i ever fired was a WWII .45 with no serial numbers. Was 14 or so.
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-20-19 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    I have a SA TRP and DW CBOB.

I don’t regret anything.

For fun I have a 1,000 rounds through my TRP and I haven’t cleaned it (I have lubricated it) - one where it didn’t go into battery in the first hundred rounds.

You guys crack me up, but I think buying quality magazines will dramatically improve your experience. That one malfunction was a Wilson 500 8 round. I’ve used Tripp’s ever since and no issues.

Buy 8-round magazines with longer tubes - you’ll be fine.

God Bless,

Brandon

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast