Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Regret "getting into" 1911's or no?

Feedback Score
    I regret buying so many Glocks.But I got rid of every last one of them.NowI have 3 1911

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Even a few years back an instructor had his 1911 jamb while he was demonstrating a course in front of the class. We tried not to laugh.
    A few years ago an instructor of some minor note was known for poo-pooing 1911s and basically being your typical Glock 19 drone. A friend of mine was putting a course together and I purposely brought my Colt LW Officer's model. This, as some will know, is not a gun noted for its reliability. Mine, OTHOH was perfectly reliable and I knew it. I brought the gun and the instructor actually had loned out his G19 to a student as a gun and not long after making a friendly note to the class that a 1911 was not a good choice, his G19 promptly and publicly crapped out. I never was clear on what happened because it was quickly taken away and another G19 was produced. The guy was actually an awesome dude and a great sport but this was a prime example of instant karma.

Another fun instance years ago when the HK45 first came out I of course had to be like the first dude to have one. So I bought it and took it to a Larry Vicker's class in atl. There was some young dude there with an 9mm M&P who basically sneered at the gun and announced "I COULD GET TWO M&P's FOR THE PRICE OF THAT" I told him he could get a buttload of HI-points but that was not the point. He was super tactical dude (he did all the James Yeager tactical pirouettes that were briefly in vogue in the mid to late 00s.) His gun almost immediately broke a striker. I mean in the first few drills. He announced it was the first malfunction ever (I thought, well shit that is a big one). More instant karma.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    A few years ago an instructor of some minor note was known for poo-pooing 1911s and basically being your typical Glock 19 drone. A friend of mine was putting a course together and I purposely brought my Colt LW Officer's model. This, as some will know, is not a gun noted for its reliability. Mine, OTHOH was perfectly reliable and I knew it. I brought the gun and the instructor actually had loned out his G19 to a student as a gun and not long after making a friendly note to the class that a 1911 was not a good choice, his G19 promptly and publicly crapped out. I never was clear on what happened because it was quickly taken away and another G19 was produced. The guy was actually an awesome dude and a great sport but this was a prime example of instant karma.

Another fun instance years ago when the HK45 first came out I of course had to be like the first dude to have one. So I bought it and took it to a Larry Vicker's class in atl. There was some young dude there with an 9mm M&P who basically sneered at the gun and announced "I COULD GET TWO M&P's FOR THE PRICE OF THAT" I told him he could get a buttload of HI-points but that was not the point. He was super tactical dude (he did all the James Yeager tactical pirouettes that were briefly in vogue in the mid to late 00s.) His gun almost immediately broke a striker. I mean in the first few drills. He announced it was the first malfunction ever (I thought, well shit that is a big one). More instant karma.
    I have a couple of buddies I go shooting with fairly regularly.

One time, a couple of years ago, one brought a Glock 19, one a USP 40 Tactical, and I brought a 5" 1911 in 45.

Guess who didn't have any malfunctions?

In fact, the only malfunctions I can recall having with a 1911 have been with 9mm 1911s (and the last one was running pretty reliably before my money situation forced me to sell it).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    The quality 1911's I borrowed were flawless.In the 80's a freind put a new bushing in his colt commander and loaned it to me to break in (with my ammo) saving him $. I loved the gun, but it wasn't for me.

1911's were a cult then and Jeff Cooper was the guru. He had a column in a gun rag every month extolling its virtues. Folks made a pilgrimage to his courses and cam back proselytizing.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Im glad i went through the process. First gun ever was a stainless Springfield loaded. Took it to my first real class at gunsite and by day two and significant time spent with the armorer there i realized this was going to be a complicated process. Moved on to Kimber and the situation only got worse. Smith and Wesson when they first came out was an exercise in learning the FedEx rules. Then finally made it to Colt. Everything was fine until i decided to send it out for customization. That's where i learned the old adage "if it aint broke don't fix it". My second Colt which was also flawless, simply sat in the safe for two years without use once i got serious about competitive shooting.

Learned plenty of history, some engineering, fedex rules, dealing with vendors in the industry and patience. Shooting Glock's alone would have made for a boring ride.
    Last edited by PLCedeno; 08-04-19 at 09:45.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    NEVER, in the 70's Department policy was a revolver on duty. Off duty I carried a Series 70 Govt model 45acp. Carried Speer 200gr JHP "Flying Ashtray" after polishing the feed ramp. Loaded and shot LOTS of HG-68 bullets over Unique, then W-231 powder.

Changed agencies and carried a BHP until Cocked and Locked was frowned upon and the agency bought and issued Sig P-226 9mm's in ??, Right after Texas DPS went to Sigs.

I know have 2 1911's, both 9mm and Wilson Combats. FS 5" and a 4.25" Commander. I will never be without a 1911 again. Both are Vickers Elite. I likke the package except for the gold bead front sight. They were both in stock guns, not ordered.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    I know have 2 1911's, both 9mm and Wilson Combats. FS 5" and a 4.25" Commander. I will never be without a 1911 again. Both are Vickers Elite. I likke the package except for the gold bead front sight. They were both in stock guns, not ordered.
    Blasphemy.

Gold bead is love, gold bead is life.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Hell, I was thinking about guns all day and what I would want to have if I got stuck in one of those horror shows from this weekend. I am thinking about picking up lightweight compact 1911 for carry. I want to be able to make a precise shot in a situation like that. At first I thought, well maybe it is time to start carrying one of my highcaps like my G19 or Beretta, but nah, a nice thin, easy to carry 1911 with a commander sight radius and a 3 pound trigger would be just what the doctor ordered. I am agnostic as to 9mm vs .45 since this gun is going to be for face shooting.

I do like the gold beads, but having a ns does make you feel a little better prepared.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hell, I was thinking about guns all day and what I would want to have if I got stuck in one of those horror shows from this weekend. I am thinking about picking up lightweight compact 1911 for carry. I want to be able to make a precise shot in a situation like that. At first I thought, well maybe it is time to start carrying one of my highcaps like my G19 or Beretta, but nah, a nice thin, easy to carry 1911 with a commander sight radius and a 3 pound trigger would be just what the doctor ordered. I am agnostic as to 9mm vs .45 since this gun is going to be for face shooting.

I do like the gold beads, but having a ns does make you feel a little better prepared.
    All duty/carry guns from 90'sish have had NS
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    I recently borrowed and fired a couple 1911's. 5 inch guns.

A "Firestorm" (Basically a Llama, made in Spain) .45 and a "Metro" (Philippines) .45.

The Firestorm was crude and sloppy. Although I did like the short trigger and rounded rubber grips.

The Metro was very tight and much better put together.

The two mags I had were an eight round "ATI" (made by Mec-Gar I'd guess) and a Colt 7 rnd mag.

All I fired was S&B FMJ. To my surprise both worked perfectly for the few rounds I fired. About 75 rounds each. The Firestorm had just fair accuracy, the Metro was very accurate. I wasn't shooting it to it's potential as I could call the shots I knew were off at 25 yds.

I hated the serrated trigger on both. The Firestorm felt like about 6-7 lbs, the Metro 4-5 lbs and smoother. Still the triggers gave me a blister. I like smooth, short triggers on a 1911.

The Firestorm threw several casings in my face.

While recoil was easy, and the triggers short with short reset, you have to wait for the recoil process to happen and that slows you down. Shooting one-handed is slow. Maybe that's good anyway with so few rounds on board.

I'd like an alloy framed one in .38 or 9mm if I was going to carry one.

What I want would be very expensive. I'd rather spend that on a Beretta 92X. I need to handle one of those.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-05-19 at 23:59.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast