Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Spike's pricing...

Feedback Score

On Spike's pricing...

Did a quick survey of prices on a Plain-Jane, 20-inch A4-type rifle. All are HBAR's except for Colt and Windham:

Colt AR-15A4 (Bud's) $1003.00

Bushmaster A3 Target (Bud's) $758.00

Windham Weaponry "Government Rifle" (Bud's) $831.00

Stag 15 Retro (their website) $899.99

Spike's "A2 Retro" (even though it has a detachable carry handle) Bud's $1021.50

Haven't owned or fired any Spike's weapons but what is it that makes their guns command a premium over other brands in similar configurations? Presumably the same goes for their carbines.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think Spike's became popular bease they made a decent AR and we're priced better than Colt. When I got my carbine it was around 900 where Colts locally were 1300 or so.

Not sure why someone would choose them over some of the other options that are out there for the same or less money today.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Haven't owned or fired any Spike's weapons but what is it that makes their guns command a premium over other brands in similar configurations? Presumably the same goes for their carbines.
    Literally nothing and you shouldn't pay a premium.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Did a quick survey of prices on a Plain-Jane, 20-inch A4-type rifle. All are HBAR's except for Colt and Windham:

Colt AR-15A4 (Bud's) $1003.00

Bushmaster A3 Target (Bud's) $758.00

Windham Weaponry "Government Rifle" (Bud's) $831.00

Stag 15 Retro (their website) $899.99

Spike's "A2 Retro" (even though it has a detachable carry handle) Bud's $1021.50

You are comparing apples to oranges pricing. Street price for the first 3 and MSRP for the Spikes rifle. You can find the Stag 15 Retro for $650-675.

Feedback Score
    The reason this caught my eye was that, browsing Bud's website, I noticed that Spike's was more expensive than Colt. But I don't think that most of us would put Spike's over Colt in overall quality.

Feedback Score
    100%. Price is what you pay. Value is what you get. ST enjoys a great following on TOS, so maybe their fan base is willing to pay more.

I can't say for sure, but I think when their certs were brought into question there was some shadiness going on. This put a bad taste in the Quality First people's mouths. At least it did for me.

The reason this caught my eye was that, browsing Bud's website, I noticed that Spike's was more expensive than Colt. But I don't think that most of us would put Spike's over Colt in overall quality.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Only thing I've ever found from Spikes worth buying over any other company isn't even made by them.

11.5" FN CHF 2x CL barrel.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    Only thing I've ever found from Spikes worth buying over any other company isn't even made by them.

11.5" FN CHF 2x CL barrel.
    I bought one of those because nobody else was offering a pencil profile 11.5" barrel with a .625 gas block journal, and I was building a 733 clone. Only have a couple hundred rounds through the thing right now because it I need to get one of those BRT EZ-tune gas tubes to get the ridiculous overgassing under control.
    I dunno what the port size is, because Spike's told me it was proprietary info when I emailed to ask.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    They also prove gouged a ridiculous amount during one of the Obama elections.

And therefore I refuse to buy their stuff. Then and Cheaper Than Dirt.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    They also prove gouged a ridiculous amount during one of the Obama elections.

And therefore I refuse to buy their stuff. Then and Cheaper Than Dirt.
    Agree 100% on CTD - since the AWB I haven't done business with them for their price gouging in rough times. I'm all for making a buck, but they were among the worst by far. I think I remember them getting to ~$70ish for a single USGI AR mag.....

I don't have any Spike's stuff but have friends who do & haven't head any complaints or been given any for repair. I can see if you want something like their crusader, hellbreaker, punisher, etc that would be worth paying a little extra for if you wanted something a little different for that build.
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast