Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maritime Environment project

Feedback Score

Maritime Environment project

So being near the ocean and lots of bayou/swamp areas I have been pondering building an AR specifically resistant to this environment, as a new work gun, we do various shipboard security/anti-piracy contracting.

Looking at major components in QPQ (Melonite) finish, NP3, and possibly cerakote, trying to eliminate as much ferrous to ferrous metal contact as possible so the idea is in making the rifle fairly amphibious.

I'm not new to building AR's, just first time I have contemplated something more specialized.

Currently running a Mk18-esque pistol build with melonite barrel and bcg, either thinking upgrade or start from scratch.
    I've got time for further research I am putting in for a stamp on a lower next month for either this or another project.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Hammered_Pair; 04-06-19 at 17:55.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Back in the mid 80's I was living in Austin Texas, one day I was heading out of town up to Belton and stopped at McBrides and wound up buying a Colt CAR15 for $365. On the way out of town I stopped at a couple of North Austin pawn shops, one had a Colt factory nickle SP1 made for the Italian market and chambered in .222 (military caliber not allowed) for about the same price. To this day this is one of the deals I regret passing on. Oh and the other pawn show had a paratrooper FNC for about the same price, having just bought the CAR I talked myself out of the other two even though I had the money in pocket, you know what they say about hinesight. Except for the caliber that nickle SP1 would have made a sweet boat gun.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 04-06-19 at 18:56.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Do you really care what it looks like or what it works like??

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Do you really care what it looks like or what it works like??
    With the options available today, there’s no reason you can’t have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    The overall look isn't really that important, it's going to get beat up. Obviously I will try to put it together to not look like hammered dog crap, but the corrosion resistance is more important than aesthetics. Nothing some duracoat can't cover up.

A .222 would be cool, flat shooter.
    Veteran US Army Combat Medic/US Navy FMF Corpsman

"Well placed gun fire is the best preventive medicine."

Feedback Score
    For exposed metal you'll need some kind of coating, be it Duracoat or Cerakote. I'm not into camo patterns on my weapons so I have them done in the underlying color: steel parts are Colt Gray (an excellent Duracoat color that matches Parkerizing very well), and aluminum parts are done in black. If there is a scratch you won't see it unless you look real close as the underlying color is the same.

For the BCG either hard chrome (Daniel Defense makes a nice one) or perhaps a Sionics NP3 finished one.

Those things should just about make it weatherproof!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The best thing is to have components that can rust treated somehow. Whether it be NP3, DLC or Melonite (or a combination of them together).

Biggest components would be barrel, BCG, gas tube and gas block. Also certain items like roll pins and attachment hardware should be considered.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not a build, but I’m likely going to be picking up one of Robar’s Polymar-15s. Likely the 16” TI version in black. Price is up there, but sounds like a lot of win there.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Not a build, but I’m likely going to be picking up one of Robar’s Polymar-15s. Likely the 16” TI version in black. Price is up there, but sounds like a lot of win there.
    Don't know about the Robar rifles but they would be one to send his stuff to for coating/treating. They have been doing it a long time.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Most components in an AR are anodized/coated aluminum anyway, so you just need to focus on the few critical parts that are not. For example, choose a handguard that uses a treated/coated barrel nut such as Geissele. Use a standard stainless grip screw, and a V7 aluminum castle nut. That leaves the barrel, and bcg. There are plenty of QPQ/nitride coated barrels out there, Faxon comes to mind here. BCGs can be had in QPQ/nitride as well, Toolcraft makes an excellent nitride bcg that can be found for a very reasonable price.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast