Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear sights: A1 vs A2

Feedback Score
    Does the Canadian C7 use the standard A1 rear, or is it modified?

Feedback Score
    Seems there won't be many out there with an A2 sight to screw it up anymore. When I went in 2005 the A2's got stacked and out came M4s with eotech 552s and matech BUIS. That Matech suffered problems with the elevation knob getting switched around by snagging on gear. I have to agree with Larry on keeping it simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That makes sense. For my use, it's target application on static targets. If I really had to take a crack at a live target at distance on the fly, I'd hold over.
    For the win.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Does the Canadian C7 use the standard A1 rear, or is it modified?

It uses a large ghost ring and a small ghost ring.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    This was easily done by setting battle zero at 100M and using a proper sight picture for each given range (200M, 300M, and 500M)
    This is actually a useful skill, rather than the absurd idea someone is dialing the A2 wheel in combat.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    This is actually a useful skill, rather than the absurd idea someone is dialing the A2 wheel in combat.
    I would in the right scenario..... I mean... assuming the only enemy was at a dialable distance and there was time to do so.

I liken it to dialing a scope at 500. I can quickly just hold the 3.5 mils, but if there's no time compression, I'd prefer to dial.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I will tell you what confused most private snuffies on the A2 sight is what you set that sight to for zero at 25m and what does it get set to afterwards for qualification. And nobody carried around FM 3-22 to have the answer at hand. I realize that sounds like a simple thing to firearms enthusiasts.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I actually love the A2 sights, and use them frequently. But they require notes/memorization, additional training that I had to qualify for (that most people won't qualify for), a better zero than the 25/300, and accurate range cards to have any real application. Not relevant for most people or most applications, beneath the equipment fielded by most combat arms and above the skill set taught to most support MOS's troops. Sigh...makes me appreciate the ACOG.

One of the things that I like is that of stand alone rear sights, the A2 versions I've used have had finer adjustments.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    While I don't own a fixed sight any longer, It depends on what you want out of the sight. I think the last one I ran was a chopped CH. I think it was mentioned that barrel length, ammo choice, etc. will determine how useful the A2 is to a user. Thing is, one can read and set up zero, etc to suite their needs, just need to get it out to actual ranges to verify everything to be certain verses theory.

This is on memory, one trick I learned was to adjust the wheel to 8 clicks below 3/6 on a carbine, zero at 100 and then up four for 200 and thereafter the sight setting actually mean something. Of course more than likely it would stay on the 100 and one would or could hold over.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    While I don't own a fixed sight any longer, It depends on what you want out of the sight. I think the last one I ran was a chopped CH. I think it was mentioned that barrel length, ammo choice, etc. will determine how useful the A2 is to a user. Thing is, one can read and set up zero, etc to suite their needs, just need to get it out to actual ranges to verify everything to be certain verses theory.

This is on memory, one trick I learned was to adjust the wheel to 8 clicks below 3/6 on a carbine, zero at 100 and then up four for 200 and thereafter the sight setting actually mean something. Of course more than likely it would stay on the 100 and one would or could hold over.
    Yeah, that clicking 89 below the 3/6 mark is called RIBZ. There's a post about it in the optics forum. I did it to mine as well. While the markings on the elevation wheel are only appropriate to a specific velocity and bullet, it helps to know that each "click" on the detachable carry handle is 1/2 MOA. So if you know your velocity and cartridge, you can figure out the range card and drops. Use a dab of nail polish or something to represent different distances and you're in business.

I've personally come to prefer A1-style sights, though.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast