Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Handguns that have dropped off the radar entirely (or nearly so)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    Yes, it still has a following.
    Let’s be real.

The fullsized and compact have been on life support in the USA since they came out. The subcompact is not even based on the PX4 platform, it just kinda sorta looks like a PX4.

There was a brief surge in interest in the Compact.

For a transient period based on some rules for one category of IDPA,
    If you put on the stealth safety the Compact was the largest, softest shooting pistol in its division. I’m not going to look it up, but it’s something like from 2015 for a while until a rule change like maybe 2017.

So if you were in the tiny niche of loving to spend all day on a weekend with obese dudes in fishing vests wearing triple E wide Velcro sneakers for their diabetic ulcers shooting minuscule round counts on stages designed to be at an ADA compliant physical challenge level, using the same gun a champ did, with the bonus of getting wussing out behind cover at slide lock, or not, which may have changed as well, go for it.

There was also a brief surge in popularity of guys wanting to AIWB carry a G19 sized gun that had a safety.

I own the full sized, the Compact, and a SC, as well as a CX4 with the PX4 magwell insert. There are just such better options for the handguns let alone when you consider holsters and accessories, factory parts availability, aftermarket parts, parts costs, etc. and so many better options for a PCC.

And if your company has spent a couple of decades introducing a rotating barrel pistol without 92 magazine compatibility that failed, a hammer fired polymer framed pistol based on cool looks that failed, and a 92 update based on cool looks that failed,
    Combining the features of rotating barrel, non 92 magazine compatibility, hammer fired polymer frame, based on cool looks Gun expecting success was nothing short of insanity.

What people wanted out of Beretta was a rail on the 92, and slides with a changeable front sight. And an actually compact 92 Compact.

It’s not like it was some hugely popular pistol that has fallen out of favor, I.e. it’s a never was, not a has been. E.g. the Bren ten that everybody wanted but couldn’t get, or the earth shattering, super capacity Steyr GB that people lusted after and has since been forgotten about,
    Last edited by ramairthree; 08-31-19 at 01:12.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Seecamps.
    I have still have 3 with my and my sons initials as the serial #s.
    If I had a problem with a gun, I could call Larry Seecamp directly and he would look the gun up in the file he kept on each pistol.
    Larry personally test fired each gun that left the shop.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateCitizen View Post
    Caracal.

I'd bet the IWI Masada is next
    Quite possible. I've heard pretty much zero about these two guns in recent months.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    PX4 is extremely common in LE in Mexico. As are the Beretta carbines.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    I'd be hesitant to say it was ever on the radar.
    Agreed. FN makes some great rifles, but they know how to make a pistol overly complicated and pliable.

Feedback Score
    CZ isn't very good at marketing or dealing with unexpected delays. Damned shame too. Their newest guns, Bren 2 and P10C, have nice little feature or performance edges compared to others in their classes. P10C joined the PPQ as being easier to shoot precisely one-handed because of the fully cocked striker. It might even be the better option of the two- so why then are they selling for $350-400?

Feedback Score
    The Slovakian "Grand Power" handguns never made much of a splash but those that own them seem to like them. They use a rotary-barrel concept similar to the Beretta PX4.

Never knew anyone who owned one of the Argentine "Bersa" guns. They're still around but I would say very much off the radar.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    CZ isn't very good at marketing or dealing with unexpected delays. Damned shame too. Their newest guns, Bren 2 and P10C, have nice little feature or performance edges compared to others in their classes. P10C joined the PPQ as being easier to shoot precisely one-handed because of the fully cocked striker. It might even be the better option of the two- so why then are they selling for $350-400?
    Because how many people spend that much time shooting one-handed?
    Also, probably still more aftermarket/customization options for Glock, and you know the gun scene is all about that Instagram life these days...

As far as others like Ruger American, or Remington R51/RP, is there really any surprise there? "meh" guns in a saturated market that generally either are clunkier, do nothing significantly better than the established performers, or just plain suck.
    Companies like that would probably benefit from trimming their lineup a bit and sticking with what they know/knew best...

Other guns I think just fall into a bad niche, like the PX4- maybe it's a decent gun, but everyone wants an M9/M92, not some odd-looking pistol they've never heard of.
    Other manufacturers just have to small of a visibility-market share- I can walk into almost any gun shop, even the podunk ones where I live, and find Glock, S&W M&Ps and Springfield- Walther and CZ, not so much, HK and FN are to expensive for anyone in poors-land to stock, and who the hell is Steyr? To be fair, how may people really need the others whe4n a Glock or S&W can get the job done all day? SO why would they look any further, outside of an "I want something unique" factor?

As far as the 509, I don't feel like it's *quite* dropped off- perhaps the hype has just died down a bit. But I'd guess if Apex is making parts, it's going to stick in the market for some time. It does seem to fill a niche, especially with the "tactical" optic/suppressor ready version at a price point most people can get into.
    I'm seriously disappointed in the FNS line, and not surprised at all those have dropped in visibility- not sure what happened at FN for for those to turn out so finicky. A shame, because I like them and they fit my hand real nice.
    I really dig the FNX- shot a 9 once, and Greg's "break my FNX" thread seems to justify my initial impressions, I just can't justify 7-1200 when, like I said above, a Glock or S&W can do the same thing...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    The glock43 killed the 42

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBodyImportant View Post
    The glock43 killed the 42
    Au contraire. The G42 is more viable than ever, and the P365 has made the G43 a non-entity; the G48 makes more sense.
    Moon

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast