Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Handguns that have dropped off the radar entirely (or nearly so)

Feedback Score
    I find the Glock 42 doesn't serve much purpose. (I have no use for a 380 personally, as I do not live somewhere where certain calibers are restricted.) I'd have said Beretta 92 years ago, but now (mostly thanks to Ernest Langdon), I'm seeing them make a comeback.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Where are calibers restricted? No state or local ordinances I know of that restriction 9/40/45.

380 is more of a ...I need a gun but can't carry one. Private practice doctors, maybe someone in a office setting. I carry one when I have to be dressed for a formal occasion. A suit doesn't lend itself to anything but a pocket gun. I can't carry my G19 at a wedding or formal dining but I can throw my little Ruger 380 in the front pocket and no one will ever know

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Where are calibers restricted? No state or local ordinances I know of that restriction 9/40/45.

380 is more of a ...I need a gun but can't carry one. Private practice doctors, maybe someone in a office setting. I carry one when I have to be dressed for a formal occasion. A suit doesn't lend itself to anything but a pocket gun. I can't carry my G19 at a wedding or formal dining but I can throw my little Ruger 380 in the front pocket and no one will ever know
    In certain other countries. Historically, in Italy, for example, use of 9x19 was verboten for non-governmental folks. Hence why 9x21 Largo became a thing.

Feedback Score
    And FWIW, I find a suit to be one of the easiest times to carry. I routinely carry OWB between 3:00-4:30. My suit jacket covers that perfectly. In a tux, I don't own that wasn't fitted around carrying a pistol? you may be right.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hile View Post
    And FWIW, I find a suit to be one of the easiest times to carry. I routinely carry OWB between 3:00-4:30. My suit jacket covers that perfectly. In a tux, I don't own that wasn't fitted around carrying a pistol? you may be right.
    Jacket covers it but I can't wear one the whole time. Usually take it off soon as I sit down
    In certain other countries. Historically, in Italy, for example, use of 9x19 was verboten for non-governmental folks. Hence why 9x21 Largo became a thing.
    I'm not in Italy, and it doesn't sound like you are either

Feedback Score
    No, I don't live in a location that has local restrictions on caliber. A fact that is obvious from the second sentence in post #71. I agree with you that a .380 or other "tiny" gun is appropriate for those times when something larger just won't work, especially if the situation is such that my PPS on my ankle just won't work. I haven't personally run into situations where that was my only option.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    9x19mm was banned in Italy because it's a, "military cartridge." That is no longer the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Jacket covers it but I can't wear one the whole time. Usually take it off soon as I sit downI'm not in Italy, and it doesn't sound like you are either
    There are some countries, like the above mentioned Italy, where you cannot own, "military cartridges," or ammunition of a certain power. The Glock models 25 and 28 were originally designed for sale in such countries.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    The .380 remains viable for we armed citizens, especially if we don't want to dress around a gun...and it makes us more likely to follow that 'have a gun' thing. A P365 is almost pocketable, but almost won't do it. So the G42 remains my go-to; stone reliable, and I can hit with it.
    If the world seems especially hinky, the Sig under a jacket isn't a big deal.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    I was never interested in the G42.
    Too big and square for a pocket, pretty small for a belt gun.

Apart from that it is a soft-recoiling gun that is easy to shoot well.

As for .380 it's fine for defensive use as long as your aware it's not good at punching through barriers. That can be good or bad.

Feedback Score
    It seems that one pistol is trying to claw its way back onto the radar.

The latest American Handgunner magazine has a small blurb (factory wording and pic) about yet another redo of the Daewoo pistol, still being called a Lionheart. Now the model is the Regulus and has a rail.

Bart Noir

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast