Thread: Carbon-fiber wrapped barrels

Feedback Score

Carbon-fiber wrapped barrels

Is this going to be seen more and more in the future or is it kind of a gimmick?

"There are many benefits of incorporating aerospace grade carbon fiber technology into a military rifle. PROOF Research carbon fiber barrels are up to 50 percent lighter than steel barrels of similar contour, which is crucial for operators moving rapidly from one position to another and when carrying their gear over long distances. The carbon fiber wrap also makes the barrel highly resistant to weather, grit, dings, scratches and all-around abuse."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...300-prc-mrads/
    Last edited by Slater; 07-18-19 at 08:59.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Nobody has a crystal ball.

But the future is now. Carbon fiber is everywhere in precision sports. For 223/556 I don’t see the benefit since standard barrels are light already.

Feedback Score
    They are a little expensive for me personally. I could buy 2 quality barrels for the same price as one proof cf wrapped.

I have seen some great accuracy out of them and for people who value that and light weight they are a good option

I dont think they are a "gimmick" but they do have a narrow application and they are cost prohibitive. There are other lightweight barrels that perform well

As far as them being weather resistant and better for abuse, I have never had to replace a barrel for those reason so not a concern. If it extended the amount of rounds until it wore out, that would be a bigger deal IMO

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I would imagine that part of the improved accuracy claim comes from it dissipating heat much better/quicker. Not sure this, "makes the barrel highly resistant to weather, grit, dings, scratches and all-around abuse" is going to sway many people that use their guns, though. I don't think I've seen that concern even on the other board.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    For Proof Research MSRP...no they aren't worth it.

At discount/promotion at around $650ish...I'll consider it.

Not sure this makes sense, but it's good for keeping light guns light without the fear of cutting accuracy for a skinnier barrel.

For big, heavy bolt guns, I don't see the point UNLESS it's a situation like this (military) where soldier's load;every single ounce matters. It doesn't make sense for a PRS/BR guy as weight is their friend and they only hump the rifle between stages.

I think it makes the most sense for someone like a hunter where they are fighting between accuracy, weight and handling. Especially since profile thickness becomes an issue with stainless barrels in cold conditions, I think this is where something like the Proof shines. I personally have one in an 18" SPR. I really like it; it shoots reasonably well and the gun carries/balances more like a 14.5" carbine than a precision SPR. I don't think it makes much sense in the shorter barrels at all. Performance wise, I don't think they can out-shoot a stainless of the same profile. I've heard several claims of minor impact shift from PRS types...so take that with a grain. I would certainly NOT say the CF is MORE accurate at all.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    It isn't all about weight. It's about rigidity at a given weight.