Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rebellion: The Gun Control Non-compliance Trend

Feedback Score

The Rebellion: The Gun Control Non-compliance Trend

This article is written from the perspective of the state of New Mexico, where I live, but it's a great article on why the rebellion against gun laws will ultimately carry the day.

Enjoy.

https://reason.com/2019/03/04/defian...exico-gun-law/

New Mexico is the battleground for the latest confrontation between politicians determined to impose legal restrictions on the right to acquire and own the means of self-defense and people unwilling to obey such laws. The state's governor is publicly feuding with county-level officials who, responding to grassroots anger at the proposed gun measures, vow noncompliance if they become law.

The evidence from similar spats in other states suggests that government officials are once again poised to have their impotence demonstrated by people eager to disobey dictates from above.
    Mandatory background checks for most gun transfers, court-ordered seizures of firearms, and the denial of self-defense rights to those convicted of domestic violence offenses feature in the bills moving through the state legislature. The measure requiring background checks for all gun transfers, except between close family members and cops, seems to have excited the greatest opposition.

"The gun-related measures have drawn opposition from all but a few of the state's 33 county sheriffs," the Albuquerque Journal notes. "In addition, at least 24 counties have passed 'Second Amendment sanctuary' ordinances in opposition to the legislation pending at the Roundhouse." The Quay County resolution, as an example, dedicated county officials "to support decisions by our Sheriff to not enforce any unconstitutional firearms law against any citizen."

In response, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, a Democrat, slapped back at what she called "rogue sheriffs throwing a childish pity party." That's probably not the sort of language likely to win over the rebellious, largely rural residents to whom county officials are catering.
    Confrontations of this sort in other states—including Colorado, Washington, and even New York—resulted in the kneecapping of intrusive firearms restrictions. And comprehensive background check (CBC) laws in Colorado, Delaware, and Washington produced an increase in such checks only in Delaware, researchers from the University of California-Davis reported in a study published in 2017 in Injury Prevention.

"One plausible explanation for our findings is low compliance in our study states," the researchers wrote, continuing:

In Washington, there was a well-documented public "I will not comply" rally at the state capital, at which firearms were openly transferred between private parties without background checks. There were also gun shows where non-compliance was encouraged and public calls from profirearm organisations to not comply with the state's new CBC policy… Many county law enforcement officials in Colorado reportedly stated they would not enforce its CBC law, and some retailers were declining to process background checks for private party transfers.

In each state, noncompliance was a result of widespread local opposition to the law. Spurred by their communities, sheriffs in Washington also refused to enforce the background check requirement, and more than half have vowed to ignore new gun laws passed last year. And the rebellion among Colorado sheriffs, who are elected to office there as in most states, came in response to local sentiment of the sort that turfed-out lawmakers who supported gun restrictions.

Which is to say, the "low compliance" in both Colorado and Washington was the result of grassroots defiance, with local officials following their rebellious constituents, not leading the way.
    Interestingly, local defiance of state and federal gun restrictions appears to reflect a desire for freedom from unpopular legislation that extends across the political spectrum. The specifics of the laws to be defied vary from place to place, but the desire to be left unmolested by other people's rules seems nearly universal.

"The 'Second Amendment sanctuary county' concept … was borrowed from activists who for several years have convinced some local governments to declare themselves 'sanctuary cities' for undocumented immigrants — meaning local law enforcement won't help federal officers arrest those whose only crime is being in the country illegally," according to the Santa Fe New Mexican.

Definitions of "sanctuary cities" vary, but "there are over 200 jurisdictions, including some of the largest in the country, that refuse to honor [Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)] detainers," ICE Director Sarah Saldaña told Congress in 2015.
    In the absence of registration lists of guns and gun owners, which don't exist in most of the United States (and failed from popular defiance in New York, as mentioned above), the background checks causing so much fuss in New Mexico depend entirely on voluntary compliance. If only two people in a jurisdiction oppose such requirements, those two can safely buy and sell guns to each other so long as they conduct their transactions out of sight of law enforcement.

Expand the population of eager scofflaws and you're bound to see widespread noncompliance, as in Colorado, New York, and Washington.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 07-18-19 at 16:41.

Feedback Score
    Nobody is complying with any mandatory background check in my area when it's private party sales. The gun dealers in rural New Mexico haven't received any instructions from Santa Fe regarding NICCS checks when it's only for the State. They're not receiving the gun for the transfer into their bound book for the transfer between individuals. Worthless law.

Of the 25 Counties of 33 in this State which became Sanctuary Counties, mine (San Miguel) is not one of them. However, you have to go thru a Sanctuary County (Harding) to reach my ranch headquarters because my 16 mile driveway in half-way in Harding County. I have an 8 mile easement for my driveway in a Sanctuary County.

As I have said before, rural America will hold out longer than the cities, and in New Mexico, a lot of the cities are just refusing to comply. The county my 25,000 acres occupies is 4,736 square miles in size, with only 28,000 people in total, mostly in Las Vegas and a few other smaller towns.

New Mexico is defiant against a lot of government controls. Even the hippies in their "Earth Ship" off-grid homes outside of Taos are funny about the government.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You arbitrary decided to make me a criminal without me having committed a crime while according to our Constitution, I'm a citizen with the right to arm and defend myself?
    So now you expect my compliance?
    Bat crap crazy.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Illinois gets a bad rap, mostly because of the dems in Cook County, but the rest of the State is very supportive of our constitutionally protected civil rights. The 2nd Amendment Sanctuary County” movement started in Effingham County. As of April, 64 of the 102 counties in Illinois have passed resolutions refusing to enforce any additional gun restrictions on individuals that are signed into law in Springfield. While it’s largely symbolic, it is a start.

Feedback Score
    Thats my kind of non compliance!

Feedback Score
    The lunatic/criminal/treasonous politicians in DC and around the country can say what they want, and write what they want on fancy paper, but if the people charged with enforcing those bogus, flawed, unconstitutional laws simply refuse, the politicians got nothing. Mass non-compliance from the citizenry certainly helps too.

This is why I wish ALL gun owners would join the NRA. Or if you don't like the NRA, how about GOA? There are 150 million guns owners. If we ALL simply say FU to all the government bodies all over the country there ain't nothin' they can do about it. What are they going to do? Put 150 million people in prison? If only a few dozen people say FU, then they will be made an example of to scare the rest into compliance. If the majority of gun owners AND all the local LEO refuse to comply, by the millions, it simply doesn't matter what the A-Holes say, write down, or pass as fake laws.

Great topic. Great thread.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    We have folks prattling online how they’re scared of the ATF boogeymen for running a vfg on pistols let alone anything else related NFA related and yet sanctuary gun laws are going to save the republic?

It’s good to see local government pushing back for sure so to that extent its positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Look at this one in San Diego:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ign=20190718dr

Yeah... Umm... This is already settled case law in Heller v. DC. Enforcement of such an ordinance would be wholly unconstitutional, so it's a perfect example of when willful and open non-compliance would be not just appropriate, but one's duty.

I fully expect many more unconstitutional laws to be passed and that will give rise to even further use of willful non-compliance as a response. The left has all but eroded the foundations of our legal system, so it's only a matter of time before many more citizens simply dismiss it. That's the problem with making everyone a criminal by fiat. You run the risk of having your bluff called.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Billetdog, true in theory. Sadly we have decades of local LEOs already enforcing bad gun laws. What exactly would change without a dramatic overhaul of police culture, unions, and “I’m just following orders” and “I have a family to feed”? You already know the Bloomberg money would clean house to get those cops who would brutally enforce those laws.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    We have folks prattling online how they’re scared of the ATF boogeymen for running a vfg on pistols let alone anything else related NFA related and yet sanctuary gun laws are going to save the republic?

It’s good to see local government pushing back for sure so to that extent its positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is a Yin and Yang aspect to this. No one wants to be the first one on the dance floor, yet everyone knows the dance is underway. There's a tension between complying with the law enough to stay out of trouble versus realizing that the law has gone too far and your property and liberty are threatened just for you being you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast