Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8” .300 Blackout Hack-job

Feedback Score
    Love my 300 Blackout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the compliments! I have put another couple hundred rounds through it. I have learned a few things. Tuning the lightweight carrier and .8oz buffer to cycle unsuppressed with subs leaves it very over gassed when shooting supers suppressed. Extraction was starting way to early and the extractor was leaving huge marks in the brass and in some cases even stretching the brass. An adjustable gas block instead of an adjustable gas key would be better for this setup however id like to avoid an adjustable gas block on this build so i made a new buffer that can accept 2 standard weights so i can load it up to 2.1oz 2.9oz or 3.6oz. Ill be playing around with that some more.

Last time i shot i took another picture.

Got some new parts in the mail yesterday, all PSA Custom bolt catch, safety, and mag release button. Shaved a few grams but more importantly bigger bolt catch extended mag release and ambi safety are all improvements in my book. Trying a different trigger as well, its from unbranded AR.

Feedback Score

IT'S NO Hack JOB!> 8” .300 Blackout Hack-job

You Tricked me, You haven't built a HACK Job at all, She's SWEET!

And,... How about NO Oil....>>>-------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWJ8rjsvFas Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by JerDerv View Post
    Thanks for the compliments! I have put another couple hundred rounds through it. I have learned a few things. Tuning the lightweight carrier and .8oz buffer to cycle unsuppressed with subs leaves it very over gassed when shooting supers suppressed. Extraction was starting way to early and the extractor was leaving huge marks in the brass and in some cases even stretching the brass. An adjustable gas block instead of an adjustable gas key would be better for this setup however id like to avoid an adjustable gas block on this build so i made a new buffer that can accept 2 standard weights so i can load it up to 2.1oz 2.9oz or 3.6oz. Ill be playing around with that some more.

Last time i shot i took another picture.

Got some new parts in the mail yesterday, all PSA Custom bolt catch, safety, and mag release button. Shaved a few grams but more importantly bigger bolt catch extended mag release and ambi safety are all improvements in my book. Trying a different trigger as well, its from unbranded AR.

Last edited by RVTMaverick; 10-29-19 at 09:27.
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    Resonator is free from jail!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    The only issue with the "use whatever lube" philosophy and suppressor use is that you breathe in a lot more of the gas/lube than without a suppressor. Something to consider...
    What's the consensus on this? Harmful? Or don't worry about it? I consider myself a high round count shooter and I definitely seem to inhale a lot more of that stuff when shooting suppressed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    JerDerv, your AR is getting a lot of gunk in the action because your reciprocating mass is too light and you're trying to control gas flow at the gas key.

Trying to tune a short barreled suppressed AR with not enough reciprocating mass isn't going to happen. No matter how much you cut back on the gas flow, it's still under buffered and under weight. The light weight buffer and carrier is working against you.

Using an adjustable gas key controls gas flow into the expansion chamber. But does nothing to control the flow going through the gas tube and into the action after the gas key separates from the tube. Using an adjustable gas block, BRT Micro port or BRT EZ Tune gas tube will go a long way to cutting down on the gunk building up in the action.

I like what you've done and where you're going with this build and how you modified parts to make this happen.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-20-20 at 01:48.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    What's the consensus on this? Harmful? Or don't worry about it? I consider myself a high round count shooter and I definitely seem to inhale a lot more of that stuff when shooting suppressed.
    Use a non-Toxic lube and some gasket maker on your charging handle and you will be good. Problem solved without destroying your AR.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    JerDerv, your AR is getting a lot of gunk in the action because your reciprocating mass is too light and you're trying to control gas flow at the gas key.

Trying to tune a short barreled suppressed AR with not enough reciprocating mass isn't going to happen. No matter how much you cut back on the gas flow, it's still under buffered and under weight. The light weight buffer and carrier is working against you.

Using an adjustable gas key controls gas flow into the expansion chamber. But does nothing to control the flow going through the gas tube and into the action after the gas key separates from the tube. Using an adjustable gas block, BRT Micro port or BRT EZ Tune gas tube will go a long way to cutting down on the gunk building up in the action.

I like what you've done and where you're going with this build and how you modified parts to make this happen.
    Right, i haven't provided an update since September last year. The adjustable gas key for this particular application ended up being a joke. I found what you posted to be absolutely true. I actually tried an experiment and closed the gas key off completely, the gun still extracted and sometimes ejected the brass! Seems like the gas tube and gas key work like a piston in itself and was pushing the carrier back. I have tapped the gas block and made an insert for a few of my other rifles and it has worked great, ill probably end up doing that on this build as well but for the last several hundred rounds i have just been running a full mass carrier and the 3oz buffer, functions as expected.

Thanks, this is one of my favorites to shoot, especially with subs. Im really looking forward to taking it backpacking, not looking forward to carrying several mags of 220grain subs! hahaha.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I'd like to see a close up with the suppressor mounted. From the pic in the first post I didn't think you had cut the rail short enough for it to mount properly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    I'd like to see a close up with the suppressor mounted. From the pic in the first post I didn't think you had cut the rail short enough for it to mount properly.
    Sure! The rear of the suppressor has a outside diameter small enough to fit the inside diameter of the handguard, so the can is actually under the handguard about an 1/8".

Side note, here is where im at on the weight. Right at 6lbs empty.

7lbs 9.6oz mag full of supers and a sling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast