Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sling recommendations for Colt/Magpul

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Sling recommendations for Colt/Magpul

A friend of mine has a Colt 6920 with the standard Magpul MOE furniture they were putting on factory guns five or so years ago.

His son is now comfortable with shooting and we’d like to outfit the 6920 with a simple sling for purposes of deer hunting. We don’t need a Vickers with quick detach but rather, a simple solution for toting the carbine to the deer blind.

Appreciate any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    To keep it simple, light and effective, I would look hard at the Proctor WOTG sling.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    GI sling.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it still has the front sling mount you could throw a simple Magpul MS1 on there. Then the kid could quickly adjust the tightness for carrying the carbine through the woods. The Magpul MOE buttstock has an opening to thread the sling through as well. You don't need any additional hardware.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    To keep it simple, light and effective, I would look hard at the Proctor WOTG sling.
    I agree 100% with this sling recommendation! I will also add my opinion... Even with good hunting ammunition the 223/556 round is at best a 100 yard deer cartridge in the hands of an accomplished shooter. I would advise a noob shooting offhand with iron sights to keep his deer hunting inside of 50 yards.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I like the Proctor sling, too. I like a lot of Proctor gear.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have used and like these three for home/range/hunting use...

Blue Force Vickers Sling
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling

Proctor WOTG sling
    https://frankproctorperformancegear....vy-duty-sling/

Ferro Concepts Slingster
    https://ferroconcepts.com/products/the-slingster

I have not used a VTAC sling, but they seem to be a solid choice too...
    http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk1.htm

I can not attest to hard/combat use of any of these slings...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    deleted
    Last edited by mrbieler; 07-20-19 at 06:55.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerkid View Post
    A friend of mine has a Colt 6920 with the standard Magpul MOE furniture they were putting on factory guns five or so years ago.

His son is now comfortable with shooting and we’d like to outfit the 6920 with a simple sling for purposes of deer hunting. We don’t need a Vickers with quick detach but rather, a simple solution for toting the carbine to the deer blind.

Appreciate any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The best sling I've found for toting an AR (or any other rifle with a pistol grip and extended magazine) is the Vickers Blue Force sling. I have tried other slings on my ARs, but keep coming back to the Vickers for ease of use an simplicity.

I mount my sling to the side (or sometimes top, depending on what mounting points the AR has). Early on, I used an HK hook to attach to the sling swivel up front.

Using an HK hook to attach sling to sling swivel of my first AR carbine built from an early PSA 16" middy kit. Sling shown is VTAC. It has since been replace by a Blue Force sling and now sits in the parts bin collecting dust

My first adjustable stock was a MagPul CTR. A QD cup was installed to mount the sling. The MOE buttstock has a slot which allows the sling to be fed through and attached without QD cups or HK hooks and works fine. However, I find it makes stock removal awkward. I have converted almost all my AR sling mounts to the QD style.

Mounting the sling in this, or similar fashion, allows the shooter to comfortably sling the rifle around their neck and slip the off hand arm through the sling. Muzzle is usually oriented down when the rifle is in front.

Carrying the AR slung in front. Rifle is quick to get into action from this position

Sling can be adjusted to tighten when shouldered, helping the stabilize the rifle in most shooting positions

The shooter can also opt to slide the rifle around their body and across their back for comfortable hands free carry. The sling can be snugged up to keep the rifle from flopping around.

AR slung across the back for comfortable hands free carry. With practice, it's only a little slower to get the rifle into action than carrying it in the front.

I've tried other slings on my AR, but keep coming back to the Vickers Blue Force sling. It's durable, quick & easy to adjust and simple in execution. Webbing is too long, but it's meant to be cut down when you get the right length figured out. It can be had with a variety of sling attachements, such as quick disconnects, HK hooks and so on. For me, the easiest most trouble free setup is the quick disconnects

Mounting the sling on an AR as one would on a traditional hunting arm (attaching to the bottom of the stock) results in the magazine and pistol grip digging into your ribs when slung over the shoulder. I'd rather use no sling at all than sling an AR, FAL, HK91 or similar arm in this manner. This advice is based on my experiences carrying long arms on many long hikes looking for game.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-19-19 at 15:17.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast