Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sling recommendations for Colt/Magpul

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Toting from A - B. GI / surplus sling if rifle equipped for it. Or GI sling and a loop of cord.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerkid View Post
    We don’t need a Vickers with quick detach but rather, a simple solution for toting the carbine to the deer blind.

Appreciate any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The MOE is a pretty basic stock, QD sockets mounted high and to the rear, and no provision to attach a GI sling attachment (as found on the GI stocks).

I'd go with the MAGPUL Rifleman Loop sling as a minimalist approach for a sling that is primarily going to be used as a carry strap. The advantage of the RLS is that it can be used as a hasty loop sling for shooting use if desired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na4bGoBReuk

Here is an article: http://www.thenewrifleman.com/magpul...hooting-sling/

Brownell's carries them: https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...aspx?rrec=true

IMO this is the most bang for the buck for what you described. On the other hand, if your friend and his son plan on patrolling to their blind, the WOTG and other slings mentioned would be good.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-19-19 at 15:23.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks to all for the abundant replies!

I’ll look through these and advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    WRONG FORUM
    SHOULD HAVE BEEN POSTED HERE: https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...-Tactical-Gear

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Noise discipline is extremely important as some of you may know. While plastic can still make noise as buckles, etc hit a hand guard, metal is worse. Extreme cold may be a factor, affecting plastic components. Probably less likely today with advancements on materials and choosing quality gear. While a sling that permits cross body carry is nice, hunting application may be minimal.

OP, things to look at are:
    Is he going to hand carry the rifle, not needing a sling?
    If "yes" then two choices if needing to use the hands for a task such as dragging the deer; attach to a pack or "cross sling" to avoid the sling sliding off the shoulder(a standard GI strap will work perfectly) If running a standard "strap" adjust it so it's tight, no slack while hand carrying the rifle.
    If wanting to "patrol" having a two point, then a quick adjustable sling is nice to have it cross body so it's accessed easily. You can still cross sling it or attach to a pack when climbing, dragging a deer, etc.

When I was hunting with an AR type I've used either of the three options, The side mounted two point worked the best as I could band it tight, take it off and put it in my pack(QD's) but would work well for stalking and using bino's. I used a WOTG sling also on my Benelli but would have it tight and loosen it to cross sling when dragging the lucky one out.

Hope that helps. Another thing to consider is where you hunt and is there anything out there that can eat you which may determine where the gun is on the way out.

While I don't know where you intend to hunt, I'm certain if it's not a tree condo, 20' from a truck, he has a pack with survival items, food, extra clothing, etc. Put the pack on first!
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    We couldn't hear you.

Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    WRONG FORUM
    SHOULD HAVE BEEN POSTED HERE: https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...-Tactical-Gear
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Noise discipline is extremely important as some of you may know. While plastic can still make noise as buckles, etc hit a hand guard, metal is worse.
    100mph tape around buckles, if using GI sling or Vickers with metal hardware.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    100mph tape around buckles, if using GI sling or Vickers with metal hardware.
    Yeah, left that out as I took it for common knowledge. But I have to remember, not everyone has worn the green.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Yeah, left that out as I took it for common knowledge. But I have to remember, not everyone has worn the green.
    Yeah, I figured you knew that, just wanted to point it out for lurking readers.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Just to throw out a more "indie" option for a traditional sling, check out Riflecraft's RS-2 and RS-3 slings. It's pretty dead nuts simple, quiet, and does the job well of a basic carry and shooting sling.

I'm pretty sure he still makes them himself, too. It's always nice to support the little guy.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast