Thread: Magazine release specs?

Feedback Score

Magazine release specs?

I started building my lower (aero m4e1 and aero parts kit) today since my stock should be in the mail this afternoon, and immediately I have a bit of a problem. I put the magazine release in and something is off, when the button is pressed half the time the mag catch is getting caught on the receiver and wont move, in order to get it to push I have to let go of the button and then try again until it pushes correctly. On inspection it is obvious that there is a little too much room for the "bar" of the mag catch. There is about 1.5 - 2 mm of extra space at the front (toward the muzzle) of the "bar" which allows for there to be a little too much wiggle room. I don't have a spare mag catch to compare this one to so I am unsure if it is the mag catch or the receiver that is out of spec.

Do any of you happen to know what the proper dimensions of the "oval shaped" hole for the magazine catch are supposed to be?

Feedback Score
    Never mind, I found a schematic and it seems that the magazine catch is short by 3/64". At least its not the receiver.

Feedback Score
    If the arm of the magazine catch is 3/64 (0.047") shorter than the hole, it could still be in spec....

The length of the slot in the receiver is 1.509" +/- .008" long and .250 +/- .004" wide with the rear-most .87 +/- .01" part of the slot allowed an additional .001" on top and bottom. The ends have a .125" radius. The hole should be .204 + .003 diameter.

The arm of the magazine catch is 1.460 +/- .005" long and .246 +/-.001 wide, full radius both ends. The shaft should be 0.1875 +/- .002" diameter, and square to the arm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Could also be a spring problem.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson