Thread: Anyone shooting .224 Valkyrie?

Feedback Score

Anyone shooting .224 Valkyrie?

I had a spare complete lower laying around and decided to pick up a factory complete .224 Valkyrie upper (rifle length gas system and a 20" SS barrel). The .224 Valkyrie uses a standard milspec AR lower, so you just need a new barrel, bolt, and 6.8 mags.

I took it out for the first time yesterday, and this thing is a tac driver! It's pushing 88 and 90 gr bullets around 2,620 out of that 20" barrel, and it consistently shot 100 yard sub-moa 5 shot groups with ease. The BC on the Hornady ELDM 88gr bullet is .545 G1, and the 90gr SMK has a G1 BC of .563. I should be able to stretch it out to 1,200 yards this weekend, and i'll report on how it does.

Both the 88gr Hornady Match factory ammo and the 90gr Federal Premium factory ammo shot sub-moa out of the box, with the accuracy and SD edge going to the Hornady load. For a long range gas gun that can use most standard AR components, i'm very impressed. This will definitely replace my long range 5.56 setup, and will most likely be my new coyote gun.

IMG_8650.jpg

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Yep, love mine! I have an LMT 20"MLK 1 in 7 gun and another that I built from scratch using a 22" Criterion 1 in 6.5 barrel. The 1 in 7 loves the ELDM 88gr bullets for sure! I haven't shot the 90 grain fusion rounds through the LMT yet, but they work very well through the Criterion. Both guns are sub-MOA at 100yards if I'm doing my part. I had kind of an adventure with the magazines. So far the best I've found are the ASC 10 and 15 rounders. The PRI 25 round mags double feed/follower collapses in mag. The Barrett Gen2 30 round mags are also GTG but they are like an AK47 mag in terms of length under the rifle. Pretty hard to shoot from the bench using the 30 rounders.

The first day I took the LMT out, I had 15 mph winds gusting to 30 mph and it was still only marginally impacting my performance at 250 yards.

I don't know if 1 in 6.5twist is the sweet spot, but I know some folks had issues with the 90grain rounds out of the 1 in 7 early on.

At 800 it's easier to get hits on steel than either of my .308s.

Feedback Score
    I have yet to try it. I am getting to the point that I have sufficient calibers that I do shoot and just don't want to start another cycle of loading and testing another new round. However, the ability to use my standard lower and push 88 and 90 grain pullets got my attention.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    Yep, love mine! I have an LMT 20"MLK 1 in 7 gun and another that I built from scratch using a 22" Criterion 1 in 6.5 barrel. The 1 in 7 loves the ELDM 88gr bullets for sure! I haven't shot the 90 grain fusion rounds through the LMT yet, but they work very well through the Criterion. Both guns are sub-MOA at 100yards if I'm doing my part. I had kind of an adventure with the magazines. So far the best I've found are the ASC 10 and 15 rounders. The PRI 25 round mags double feed/follower collapses in mag. The Barrett Gen2 30 round mags are also GTG but they are like an AK47 mag in terms of length under the rifle. Pretty hard to shoot from the bench using the 30 rounders.

The first day I took the LMT out, I had 15 mph winds gusting to 30 mph and it was still only marginally impacting my performance at 250 yards.

I don't know if 1 in 6.5twist is the sweet spot, but I know some folks had issues with the 90grain rounds out of the 1 in 7 early on.

At 800 it's easier to get hits on steel than either of my .308s.
    The LMT is awesome! I just grabbed a PSA complete upper to get my feet wet, but i've put 100 rounds down the pipe so far and it's been perfect. The SS barrel comes in 1/6.5 twist, which i really like, and seems to stabilize the heavy bullets nicely. I was pleasantly surprised that it consistently shoots sub-moa, but i also do a lot of long range bolt gun shooting, so i usually do my part on the shooting dynamics. I also have a 3 lb aftermarket trigger in it, and it helps that the .224 factory ammo is inherently accurate.

I've been running the C-Products 6.8 SPC stainless steel 10 and 20 round mags, and they've fed perfectly so far, no issues. I definitely like this gun better than my .308 AR10