Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gun: Maverick.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I'm wondering...they showed that scene of Ed Harris questioning Maverick as to why he's only a captain after 30+ years.
    Lots of officers are Captain/Colonel after 30 years. They then retire.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    I was appalled at the lack of any kind of research they did about the "three kills, more than anyone in the last 40 years."

Both Capt Thomas Dietz, USAF and 1Lt Robert Hehemann, USAF scored 3 kills apiece in Desert Storm.
    Yeah that was whacked. As firefly points out, they have a year to re-dub that.

Feedback Score
    As long as TC goes Mach 2 AND his hair actually catches on fire WHILE dropping a JDAM full of poop on Kelly Mcghillies riding his old Ninja.......all will be well with this version.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    As long as TC goes Mach 2 AND his hair actually catches on fire WHILE dropping a JDAM full of poop on Kelly Mcghillies riding his old Ninja.......all will be well with this version.
    Kelly hasn't aged well...
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Per 80s hair rock, it would be a racially motivated hate crime to have an Iron Eagle movie without it. Doug Masters looks the right kind of grizzled and not bald for Doug Masters to fly again.

Per the shootdowns, I’d like to think Maverick scored a few more kills in Desert Storm. They could easily church that up with a redub saying “more than 3 kills in the last 40 years”

I also think Ed Harris is kinda a poor choice in that scene. The Captain line would have more weight if it came from an Admiral the same age or younger than Tom Cruise.

I actually think they are gonna go smart here if the rumors are true and make the film for people contemporary of the original Top Gun. No wokeness. No fat black lesbian fighter pilot.

In fact the opening prologue basically is calling Maverick an outdated dinosaur and he’s like “lol we’ll see”

I hope the F-14 rumors are true. That it’s an OPFOR plane and Maverick gets into a bloody and vicious dogfight with it as he knows it better than anyone. It’s a meta callback to the point of Top Gun.

The point of the course is teaching hardcore gunfighting in response to the early Vietnam War error of relying on gadgets and rockets.
    Now there are only a few near peer nations that have any Air Force of any sophistication and we know China won’t be OPFOR and the Russians is kinda played out and cheap.

There is also rumors that he uses a Navy F-35 at some point.

Rumors but interesting if true
    Wasn't Doug dead by the 3rd movie?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Lots of officers are Captain/Colonel after 30 years. They then retire.
    First, I didn't know that. I figured if a captain was in for 30 years and failed to make admiral, he'd face mandatory retirement. But I guess also, it would be a mystery as to why a legendary, decorated hero wouldn't be a flag officer by that point.

How about Ice Man? 30 years and he's only an O-5? Does that ever happen? Just curious.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Kelly hasn't aged well...
    My point exactly.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    First, I didn't know that. I figured if a captain was in for 30 years and failed to make admiral, he'd face mandatory retirement. But I guess also, it would be a mystery as to why a legendary, decorated hero wouldn't be a flag officer by that point.

How about Ice Man? 30 years and he's only an O-5? Does that ever happen? Just curious.
    If you want to stay in the cockpit you can only follow the promotion track up to a certain point and I think O-6 is about it.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score

Per the original movie.....Maverick was not an academy student (May or may not matter) and he dupped some dudes kid. (Curiously last name of Mitchell). Also.....Goose died, Maverick has that on his shoulders and was probably haunted by his ghost or something. Maybe Gooses widow had it in for Maverick after the crash. As for Iceman.....well, he is a sore loser douchebag and is therefore undeserving.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Wasn't Doug dead by the 3rd movie?
    He was in Russian prison. I didnt care for the sequels but they could keep that in.

I'd imagine a modern day Doug Masters to be ultimately more hardened and possibly depressed. Like he got out after 20 years and came full circle from being a teen. But he's innately skilled. Chappy is old and in a home. And like Dougs daughter gets kidnapped by ISIS so he sells his ranch, hires mercenaries, and steals an F-15 to blow the piss out of them. But like it happens over contested airspace so he slugs it out with Russian pilots and has flashbacks to being drugged and tortured by the Russians in the 80s so he puts on Metallica's Seek and Destroy and kills them all.

And the USAF sends pilots to get him to stop and kill him if necessary but he is blood drunk. He goes down and starts bludgeoning hajis with a shovel after his pdw AR goes empty.

Eventually he is captured by the US but they pin it all in rogue Israeli Air Force and they say they have his daughter but if he shuts up and goes home then they will cover it up again.
    Last edited by Firefly; 07-19-19 at 20:10.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast