Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New 4 yr study on MRDS vs iron signs on pistols

Feedback Score
    I changed my first ACRO battery out at the 5 month mark. Still had setting 10, but not as strong as a fresh battery. It took all of 2 minutes, the sight never came off the gun, and I didn’t lose zero. The only tool I needed to accomplish this was a coin to unscrew the battery cover. I suppose a guy or gal could also use a house key, the back of a knife blade, or even a pull tab from a beer can if needs be. Hell even a properly fitted screw driver would probably work, if you’re one of those fancy people with tools. I usually run mine on setting 8 during the day, or setting 7 or 6 in the evening if I remember to turn it down. I’ve never shot it on setting 10, but will occasionally turn it up to 9 on a really bright day shooting against a light colored back ground like sand or light tan dried prairie grass.

Interstate Battery carries CR1225’s made by Panasonic, I bought 3 of them for about $10 last time I thought of it. Stashed them in my range bag. Stashed one in my truck by taping it to the bottom of the center console lid.

I’m not going to claim that a 50 mAh battery will run as long as a 225 mAh battery, because given the same energy draw it won’t, but this notion that the ACRO is unserviceable because the battery life is measured in months rather than calendar years is overblown. It’s not that big of an issue to work around if you pay attention to your gear. Get up, check your pistol, make sure the sight is on and working, turn it up all the way, turn it down to your preferred setting, holster it, put holster on. If the battery looks like it’s weak, change it out before you step off for the day. You should be running that gear check on all your lifesaving equipment everyday already right? So you are not adding any hassle now are you? Other than maybe needing to change a battery more often, and it’s a really simple battery change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Besides the battery issues, another set of problems with ACRO is its size. The physical size of the unit itself is too big for me to conceal to my concealment standards. The physical size of its optic window is too small to be interesting for competition.
    I've a T1 on one of my Glocks as my weather proof setup. Also doesn't conceal worth a damn but at least I dont need to worry about batteries. T1s supposedly break down on pistols but mine is doing ok so far.
    Have you actually tried to conceal the ACRO? Seriously if .1” in height is the difference between you being able to conceal the gun or not, then you need to stop dressing like a filthy hipster and buy clothes that actually fit. I have both an RMR and an ACRO and there is no practical difference in concealment ability between the two for me.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If someone writes "cant conceal to own standards of concealment", where does it leave a doubt about the degree of personal experience? I had my hands on a G19 with ACRO before most people did.
    1. It absolutely prints worse than RMR. I carry AIWB. Rear edge and angles print out like mofo. With RMR the tallest part is way forward from the slide's end. ACRO effectively creates twice thick/tall slide profile.
    2. Even RMR creates excessive printing for me on most days. My demands are complete absence of printing regardless if I stand, sit, move, turn etc wearing casual professional. Iron sighted, and specifically low profile iron sights, G48, p365xl, or J frame is what gets carried on most days.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345