Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you think an AR10-style platform is better than other 7.62 bullet launchers?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    You're going to have to look far and wide to beat an AR-based 7.62 individual battle rifle.

No way the M14. The FAL had a stamped receiver cover -- lousy for optics. The G3 is plain heavy.

The original Fairchild-Artillerie Armalite and the second-generation Westrom AR-10 can be updated for all the modern gadgets. Knights has some turn-key off-the-shelf rifles you'd just have to add ammo. LMT's could stand to lose some weight.
    The LMT LW barrel put the MWS at about KAC PC weight.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Something to consider if for military use is the ability to mount white light and IR illuminators/designators, along with the switchology to go with it; this will force the need for a rail system, which IMO heavily tilts the field toward the AR pattern. More modern designs such as the SCAR, BREN, ARX, APC, etc. are also going to be a better fit than the legacy guns, at least in a first world military context.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I find it interesting how many of these legacy guns where mass produced and cant really stand up to the round counts that we think of. Sure the stamped steel makes a good club; but they couldnt handle the train ups and round counts of modern deployments.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If extreme long distance and accuracy are most important, you gotta go high end bolt gun with longer barrel. If high capacity and quick follow up shots reign supreme. Your knights / LMT would be unbeatable.

And these rifles have proven themselves. The AR10 can be used substituted for a precision role more than a bolt gun can replace the AR10. However both are awesome and 7.62 continues to prove itself as a wonderfully useful round in either weapon.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    Then it needs to be out for a year or two until they work the bugs out.

Yes. It needs to prove itself. But CZ isn’t Sig USA... It will get squared away.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Why an 18+ inch barrel?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Why an 18+ inch barrel?
    Because 14.5” 6.5s haven’t hit mainstream yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
    I’ll agree with most of what’s said. And say that the AR10 has the most potential of current rifles designs.

However, One rifle that looks incredibly promising, and hasn’t been brought up is the CZ Bren BR. It just isn’t available yet. If it turns out to be what it advertises... And CZ has a good track record in that regard, it will be what the scar should have been.
    I've emailed CZ twice about the Bren BR and both times they've claimed it's not coming to the United States. Neither is the .22LR 457 Premium which I also want. I hope they're lying about both!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Why an 18+ inch barrel?
    Personally I feel the 16" 7.62x51 AR is a follow-on to the 16" (or shorter) 5.56mm versions. "If I can have a 5.56 in a 16" barrel why can't I have a 7.62 in the same length?" I honestly think it's a reaction to 5.56 AR trends.

I'm old enough to recall when an 18" barreled .308 was about as low as you went. Para FAL, HK G3, Springfield Scout, etc. It is only in recent years (to me!) that 16" has become an acceptable .308 alternative.

I am convinced that the 7.62x51 is best in 18" or greater barrel lengths. A 16" barrel just robs the round of better performance. While that can be said of nearly any cartridge, 5.56mm has a little more "give" and flexibility than .308.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Danus ex View Post
    I've emailed CZ twice about the Bren BR and both times they've claimed it's not coming to the United States. Neither is the .22LR 457 Premium which I also want. I hope they're lying about both!
    I’ve heard both that it isn’t coming, and it isn’t coming yet... I really hope it’s the later. It looks really promising though. I’m pretty sure they’re still getting it ironed out for the LE version. CZ seems to embrace the civilian market and I’m certain if there is a way to get a pistol version imported, they will. It may take a distributor to buy and spec a large quantity of pistols for them to get moving on it. Like JDI with San Swiss. It’s taking long enough for the Bren 2 ms to get here in any numbers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast