Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with HM Defense Monobloc?

Feedback Score

Any experience with HM Defense Monobloc?

Long time lurker, first time poster, but I finally had a question I couldn't answer through a search. About time!

I've been looking to complete an Aero Precision lower build with a 14.5" mid-length setup. I didn't want to just slap on a PSA or something, so for a while I had my eye on the BCM ELW setup. Cost-wise, it's basically the upper limit of my budget, but I wanted something quality since it might be my last gun purchase for a while (new baby, and this was squirreled away for it...). Plus, I like companies with good customer service because you never know, and BCM has been great in that regard.

I was recently at a local show and met a rep from HM Defense who showed me their Monobloc upper. (http://www.hmdefense.com/html/technology.html

Seemed like a pretty cool concept if it checked all the boxes of accuracy and reliability. Plus, with a machined comp to hit the 16" it seemed to fully fit the bill. Price-wise, I think it'll run $100-150 less than a BCM. I like the idea of having something different in terms of an AR, after a while everything feels the same, so if this is legit, it'd be a nice addition.

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with them in terms of the monobloc or one of their complete rifles, both the product and customer service if it was necessary. Company-wise, they seem to be an up-and-comer in the same mold of AP with a serious aerospace background, but I'd love to hear from anyone with first-hand experience with them before I really consider it. It does seem like a pretty awesome product idea all told, but I don't want to be a guinea pig. So far, just one G&A review and a few odd blog posts so looking for a little more info. Thanks.
    Last edited by barrister; 12-01-16 at 19:30.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The common theme here is KAC, LMT, Colt, BCM, Noveske, DD for a reason... they make quality firearms and some of those brands are even pretty affordable... they're a known quantity, so why deviate? You really want to roll the dice on what may be your only gun purchase for a long time by going with some unknown, no name manufacturer; just because you want something "different?" So you can save maybe $150?

That's some backwards ass logic. Although I do like syrup on my eggs.... At the end of the day, though, it's still not that different; it's an AR-15. If you want something different buy a B&T APC 556.

That barrel is about as ****ed up as a football bat. Go to Rainier Arms and buy a quality barrel from a real firearms manufacturer and you'll be happier in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Not so much a money issue, really. It strikes me as an innovative offering for the platform, one that I can only assume if BCM, DD etc. came out with, most people would drool over and assimilate with no questions asked. (FWIW, there is an option for a standard pin and weld comp if the integrated one isn't preferred by some.)

Once upon a time, every manufacturer was an unknown quantity, so it's entirely plausible that there's someone on the forum who has used their products and found them to be accurate and reliable by a good company that may be just as well-known in 5 years as a quality manufacturer of AR products. If not, so be it, but I know the merits of buying from the usual suspects.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    forgive my ignorance, but how in the hell do you attach that to an upper receiver? What kinds of barrel nuts is that compatible with? Do they machine the gas block small enough to fit any current commercially or milspec barrel nut over it?
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyM4 View Post
    forgive my ignorance, but how in the hell do you attach that to an upper receiver? What kinds of barrel nuts is that compatible with? Do they machine the gas block small enough to fit any current commercially or milspec barrel nut over it?
    Looks like the nut will clear. Really no other way it would work. The ID of the nut is fixed no matter what nut. It would be more attractive without the integral MD. I'd rather pin and weld what I wanted. What I am really curious about is the hole/bore for the gas tube... The GB is a long way from either end of the barrel to drill.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    It's not that it's entirely a bad concept, just that you don't need to be a guinea pig with your purchase. IMHO, of course.

I would just say to go with a proven and known commodity. If it turns out to be a great idea it will certainly catch on, and you can always revisit it in the future.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    T-preacher hit the nail on the head. For that kind of money, there are highly regarded companies out there that you can buy from. That said, they may be great. If you buy one, please let us know how it shoots.

Mrgunsandgear, maybe a future project?
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I'm all about paying more for an improvemenr, bit I fail too see how this is any better than a std setup.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One of the best features of the AR system is its modular aspect. By making everything into a monolithic unit, it's no longer modular, and it's now impossible to change out muzzle device and gas block.

Granted, there's usually not a lot of reason to remove the gas block once the gas tube is installed. But for hand guards that require the gas block and tube to be installed after the hand guards have been installed first, I'm not sure how that's going to work.

If there's something off about the gas port, there's no ability to remove the gas block to inspect the port size. They'd better make sure they get it right the first time, every time.

I don't care for muzzle brakes, so right away this isn't for me, and there's no way to change it. Giving users choices is always a plus, taking choices away is decidedly not a quality or selling point.

I think it's different, but not necessarily in ways that benefit the end users. Every time I come up with a new idea for a product, that's the first thing I think of. Second thing I ask myself is why has nobody else done it, is it because it's stupid, or is it possible that I was the only one that thought of it?

The dozen or so scrapped ideas and projects each year answer that question
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    I guess it will probably work, but I have to ask why? Is it addressing some inherent flaw? As others have stated, you immediately limit yourself to that config...which is really counter to the beauty of the AR design.

Jmho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast