Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BCM Comp Mod 0 - “designed to reduce...flash signature” ....?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 16" RECCE came with the mod 0 comp installed and I haven't bothered to change it. Compared to a 16" DDM5v5LW with DD's flash hider there is slightly less recoil and noticeably more flash. That said, I've taken a training course with the BCM and nobody complained about its concussion. I also had zero problems with dust kicking up when shooting on my side.

I'm sure it's hell on a 10.5. I'm thinking of swapping out the A2 on my 10.3 for a Dead Air FH.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    First of all. WHAT powder?

Powder has a huge impact on visible flash. Next, I'd argue that I've shot WAY worse comp type devices than the BCM. The BCM is louder, but it doesn't yield that brain rattling concussion. Under a range roof, I could see how other shooters wouldn't appreciate it. But not too many shorties are enjoyable under those metal range roofs.

I've not noticed any flash when I shoot mine, but it's on a 14.5.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    First of all. WHAT powder?

Powder has a huge impact on visible flash. Next, I'd argue that I've shot WAY worse comp type devices than the BCM. The BCM is louder, but it doesn't yield that brain rattling concussion. Under a range roof, I could see how other shooters wouldn't appreciate it. But not too many shorties are enjoyable under those metal range roofs.

I've not noticed any flash when I shoot mine, but it's on a 14.5.
    Shooting up this shit Wolf gold ammo

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Shooting up this shit Wolf gold ammo
    Hmmm.. Not sure what possible powder that stuff would have. Could just be some flashy ball powder. I know I can go from H335 to W748 and go from huge fire ball to nothing at all respectively.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Swapped the T2 for the ACOG and went to a range I don’t typically frequent to zero it. Normally I shoot outside uncovered. It’s bright and there are no walls. I noticed my 10.5” got a little louder when I swapped the A2 for the BCM Mod 0, but the recoil reduction was worth it.

This place was the opposite. Dark. Covered. Concrete walls.

Wow! People were getting angry. It was loud. Tons of flame. I cannot imagine any comp (Battlecomp, FSC556, etc) performing worse than this.

Is this normal?

I don't know about the BCM in particular, but yes, that's normal for 10.5" 5.56 uppers in general. My Battlecomp, which didn't have much more concussion on a 20 or 16 inch barrel, was absolutely brutal on a 10.5.

If you want something that will reduce the flash significantly with a bit of recoil control, try the BRT Covert Comp. It works much better than it should on my brother's 11.5 inch shorty. Concussion is pushed downrange and out doors just at the edge of twilight, flash was almost unnoticeable, even with ammo we were running in another shorty because it produced a dramatic fireball. Muzzle report sounded deeper as well. It what I'll use on any (not a clone) shorty upper that's not suppressed.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Might consider a Precision Armament “EFAB Hybrid Muzzle Brake”.
    Designed to run on as short as a 10” barrel. (I think RtT mentioned the EFAB in an SBR thread recently.)

I have them on a couple 10.5” “Pistols” and they’re the best thing I’ve found to date.
    They replaced BCM mod 0 comps on my 10.5 guns.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    To the guys mentioning devices with “comp” in the name: thats not the right direction. Anything marketing as a compensator is going to have more flash than a well designed pure flash suppressor. I challenge you to crank your comps onto a 10.5” and go shooting in low light. Then try again with an A2.

Reference the two flashhider tests on TTAG and the one on Vuurwapen blog in order to view objective data. Those guys have tested way more flashhiders than any of us endorsing our favorite of small samplings.

I would personally suggest that good choices to reduce flash in a short gun include A2 and lookalikes (including FCD), Vortex and lookalikes, YHM Phantom. Note that these are also inexpensive. The longer ones like the Vortex and Phantom will do better on shorties.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    ...Anything marketing as a compensator is going to have more flash than a well designed pure flash suppressor. I challenge you to crank your comps onto a 10.5” and go shooting in low light. Then try again with an A2...
    The BRT Covert Comp on my brother's 11.5 inch upper had almost no flash. It had far less flash than an A2 birdcage.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Hmmm.. Not sure what possible powder that stuff would have. Could just be some flashy ball powder. I know I can go from H335 to W748 and go from huge fire ball to nothing at all respectively.
    I havent noticed wolf gold to be excessively flashy, but i dont often look for it.
    Independance ammo is the worst Ive seen for flash.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-20-19 at 16:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Might consider a Precision Armament “EFAB Hybrid Muzzle Brake”.
    Designed to run on as short as a 10” barrel. (I think RtT mentioned the EFAB in an SBR thread recently.)

I have them on a couple 10.5” “Pistols” and they’re the best thing I’ve found to date.
    They replaced BCM mod 0 comps on my 10.5 guns.
    EFAB on a 7.5" 308 works great! No visible flash in an indoor range with M80 ball, Winchester white box, Magtec, Federal ball. It does however litter the shooting bench with unburnt powder...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast