Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: C8 Corvette

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    If the Dollar Store and a Ferrari had a baby... Simply amazing, and this is the base model. A Z06 or ZR1 model- Que Bella donna.

They had to do it. If they were going to keep Camaro and Corvette, they had to differentiate them better. I don't know why anyone would buy a Lotus or an Audi R10. Wait till it eats a 911's lunch.

'Merica.
    I know why they would by them: competition heritage, build quality, quality of materials and resale value.

If you offer me either I’d take a Porsche over the Corvette - any day.

That said, the C8 is nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    I tried to like the ZO6 when I went looking, but the Vette just wasn't for me & went with a 50th anniversary A10 Camaro. The ZL1 & ZL1 1LE being cranked out now are arguably the best handling sports car on the market sharing a similar 650HP LT4 with the current C7 Z06 if price point needs to be considered & smoking many 6 figure exotics at the track...the current Z06 isn't an option for track rats as the small frontal area and lack of needed heat exchangers is missing & they fixed it with the ZL1. Pretty sure there is a class action lawsuit going on because of it. Great car for the street but I am loving my ZL1 & jonesing to get her to COTA. GM axed the Camaro before & they simply suck ass on marketing the Camaro for some reason when you compare it to the visibility Dodge does with the Charger & Challenger. Don't recall ever seeing a Camaro add or commercial & kinda odd they offer the best engineered / fastest in it's class with no sales support.

I was also surprised to see the C8 stayed with the 6.2 & need to read up on the changes the LT2 offers...I'm with Murphy & cannot wait for the Z06 & ZR1 trim levels to surface & pins / needles for the Nurburgring Times. I'm seeing a $60k starting price for this new C8 but cannot find anything to actually confirm yet. You wouldn't want this car without the mag ride though, it's flat out amazing!! One other thing that amazes me is the new GT500 & C8 are not offered in a manual at launch & both went with a DCT (A7 & A8) vs their joint venture A10 they spent so much $$$$ on to develop jointly. The A10 is outstanding. Times are changing. Dodge needs to get off it's ass and make another car that can turn to keep up with the Stang, Camaro & Vette...we know they can do it with the Viper & that ancient chassis the Charger & Challenger have isn't up for the task in the twistys.
    7 minutes 18.xx seconds.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    No Chevrolet is on the right path with the C8. Boomers will soon be an ever older market segment, more likely to buy a Jazzy Scooter than a sports car of any description.

Figure a decently equipped “enthusiast model” C8 with the Z51 performance package is probably going to be $62-$65K sticker, and have 495hp along with cat like reflexes if GM chassis gurus of late did their thing. So who in their right mind buys a Porsche Cayman/Boxster, Toyota Supra, BMW Z4, or other $58-$65K two seat sports cars when the C8 exists in that price range? I sure as hell wouldn’t.

Imagine what the aftermarket is going to do with the LT2. If the heads will move enough air (guaranteed they will), and the fuel system can keep up; that motor is just a cam, valve springs, and tune away from 550-600hp at the crank depending on how wild of a cam will still give good street manners.
    I’d take the Cayman GT4.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I’d take the Cayman GT4.

The Cayman is very nice, I just drove a GTS and it stickered for almost 90k, the GT4 starts at 100k. These cars are not in the same price category as 60k Vette. In fact, after putting a few hundred miles on the Cayman, I started looking for a used one. Since the prices are outrageous, that led me to looking at C7 Grand sports.

If the grand sport can already out perform a Carrera S, what’s the C8 going to be capable of? I’m hoping for some better deals on C7s so that I can get a trailer park rocket.
    Last edited by Corse; 07-21-19 at 22:13.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    IDK, all this I'll take [insert whatever German/Italian/British car here] doesn't factor into account the cost of ownership. Let the electronic suspension go out in a Range Rover, which it will, then pay to fix it. There's something to be said for domestic automakers. A BMW with a vanos valve? Take it to the dealer and it's a B.O.A.T....Bout another thousand.

We're to the point with 0-60 times that no person can reasonably tell the difference. Its fast AF. Cost of ownership for Chevrolet places that level of performance into the realm of reality for your average working guy who saved and spent wisely. to paraphrase Jay Leno, he always said that with Corvette there isn't the disdain that you get when people see you driving one vs a exotic car.

For those that don't already watch it, Leno's YouTube channel is one of the best for automotive enthusiasts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    IDK, all this I'll take [insert whatever German/Italian/British car here] doesn't factor into account the cost of ownership. Let the electronic suspension go out in a Range Rover, which it will, then pay to fix it. There's something to be said for domestic automakers. A BMW with a vanos valve? Take it to the dealer and it's a B.O.A.T....Bout another thousand.

We're to the point with 0-60 times that no person can reasonably tell the difference. Its fast AF. Cost of ownership for Chevrolet places that level of performance into the realm of reality for your average working guy who saved and spent wisely. to paraphrase Jay Leno, he always said that with Corvette there isn't the disdain that you get when people see you driving one vs a exotic car.

For those that don't already watch it, Leno's YouTube channel is one of the best for automotive enthusiasts.
    That’s how I’m feeling now. I love the European cars and would love a Porsche, but I can’t afford the cost of entry for a new one. That leaves used with all the possible repair bills or the collector price tags.

Corvettes carry there own stereotypes as we have seen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    So inexpensive a Railroader could afford it. Now if them 400 pounders that call themselves engineers can figure a way to fit between the seat and steering wheel.

I kid, I kid.
    LOL.

Need motivation to keep hitting the gym? Watch a 400lb fat man try to climb on a locomotive or use the head in the nose.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I’d take the Cayman GT4.

Yeah OK. Show me one for less than $90K. My suspicion is that a well equipped C8 is going to be around $65-$70K sticker, and less if we are talking an actual transaction price. The Cayman GT4 is going to cost a lot more than that, while being slower, and more expensive to maintain.

Porsche products are overpriced for what you get in most cases; for the record I love Porsche products but I’m also aware of the price gouging that Porsche engages in. Furthermore; for those of us who don’t live anywhere near a dealership, owning a Porsche and keeping it serviced properly would pose major issues. Personally I am unwilling to drive 5-6 hours down to Denver to get a car serviced. Make no mistake, if it’s made in Germany and is an automobile, there’s a very good chance it’s not going to be particularly reliable. So you will be seeing the shop, if you live close by that’s not as big a deal but it is for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Gotta love the younger generation who thinks this car was made for them, yet almost none of them provided any input to GM on it.

On other hand, everyone I know 60 and older, most multi-vette owners, who have been involved in the Vette program for decades (like the build your own engine program), have told me they have been asking GM for this for decade or more. Of the 6 I have talked to, all already have one reserved before announcement.
    The median age of Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini buyers comes out around late 40s.
    The current median age of a Corvette owner has been 61 for about a decade.
    A decade before that it was 55.
    This was not the case in the late 60s/early 70s.

Over the past decade, they have averaged about 20k sold a year.
    Lamborghini only sells about 1000 a year. At a much different price point.
    Porsche is selling over twice as many cars a year in the US.
    Ferrari about 2k a year, again at a much different price point.
    Mercedes and BMW sell about 300-350k cars here a year.

This demonstrates a couple of problems.
    The average Corvette buyer is older than the average Lincoln, Cadillac, Bugatti, Bentley, Mercedes, BMW buyer.
    If a car is being know as for old as shit buyers, and your average age is higher, that is not good.
    It is especially not good when when your car is supposed to associated with a premier, luxury purchase, but the makes from other luxury brands are selling ten times as many cars.
    When you use logic to explain cost as the issue, but far more expensive performance cars have a much younger average buyer, it falls apart.

It needs to be performance enough to make people’s jaws drop. They have done that.
    It needs to be prestigious enough people see it as a luxury and ego model.
    But it needs to be inexpensive enough young people can buy it.

Two diametrically opposed 180 degree opposite tasks.

Young people wanting, buying, and lusting after your stuff is important. They have a lot of potential as repeat customers.
    A huge percentage of Corvette buyers are repeat owners.
    You can sell way more Corvettes to a guy that starts buying at 25 than someone at 65.

Can they make it cool?

I don’t know. An American just launched to the ISS for the 50th moon landing anniversary. A West Pointer MD tabbed combat diver astronaut. Paint one red, white, and blue and give it to him when he comes home.

But wait.
    That’s just some Boomer, gen x model racist patriarchy shit.

Give one to Black Widow in her new movie. But wait, she’s just some racist hetero that inappropriately subjugated anime culture.

Give one to black panther in his new movie. There will be others turned off.

There seems to be no cohesive way to make it cool.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What Corvette and GM should have done is give one to Maverick! Instant coolness!

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast