Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breathalyzer Manufacturer Under Criminal Investigation For Falsifying Maintenance...

Feedback Score

Breathalyzer Manufacturer Under Criminal Investigation For Falsifying Maintenance...

Breathalyzer Manufacturer Under Criminal Investigation For Falsifying Maintenance Records And Calibration Results

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-results.shtml

Cops value breathalyzers since they're easy to deploy and don't have the warrant impediments of blood tests. But they're often relying on faulty equipment.

The 2018 discoveries were reaffirmed in 2019 when a New York Times investigation uncovered more problems with breathalyzers. Equipment used in the field was rarely recalibrated and active chemical agents rarely replaced. One breathalyzer used by Michigan police was found to have rats nesting inside of it.

Faulty equipment is only one of the problems. The bigger problem is that it's almost impossible to challenge in court. The private companies behind breathalyzer equipment have inserted themselves into court proceedings, claiming any examination of devices and source code could result in the exposure of proprietary information that (they imagine) could harm their market position and future sales.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I'm sure some of the science underpinning DUI prosecutions is legit. I mean, some of it has to be right???
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I'm sure some of the science underpinning DUI prosecutions is legit. I mean, some of it has to be right???
    I had good results with chicken entrails and tarot cards when I was on patrol...
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    Large mis-managed states mis-manage large critical equipment programs... who knew?

It really depends where you are. In other areas the machines are centrally networked and overseen by a single entity, usually an accredited crime lab... no such problems.

Not that it matters anyway, recent court decisions have really been pushing for blood specimens when possible.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Sounds like another hit piece article trying to diminish the breathalyzer. Thousands died or are injured every year from drunk drivers and defending them is a big business. If they can challenge the breathalyzer and get the officer to testify more about the field sobriety on the stand it is more billable hours.

I was a certified operator for over a decade. The things are all computerized now. If the instrument doesn’t pass the internal diagnostic you can’t even get it to give a reading. We kept a big binder at the court liaison with copies of all the units certifications and the operators certificates. If something is found to be an issue they would toss all the cases immediately. David

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    Sounds like another hit piece article trying to diminish the breathalyzer. Thousands died or are injured every year from drunk drivers and defending them is a big business. If they can challenge the breathalyzer and get the officer to testify more about the field sobriety on the stand it is more billable hours.

I was a certified operator for over a decade. The things are all computerized now. If the instrument doesn’t pass the internal diagnostic you can’t even get it to give a reading. We kept a big binder at the court liaison with copies of all the units certifications and the operators certificates. If something is found to be an issue they would toss all the cases immediately. David
    Sounds like Michigan wasn't ok with this.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ng/4458773002/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    WTF are they talking about with rats nesting in a breathalyzer!? Im fortunate enough to claim Ive seen a breathalyzer on very very few occasions, but none have been large enough to be much use as a nest for anything.

I agree its a hit piece. Angling to delegitimize any and all law enforcement efforts so we just give up and let everyone outta prison...

...probably to make more room for all of us insidious gun owners not smart enough to have frequent boating accidents

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrock82 View Post
    WTF are they talking about with rats nesting in a breathalyzer!? Im fortunate enough to claim Ive seen a breathalyzer on very very few occasions, but none have been large enough to be much use as a nest for anything.

I agree its a hit piece. Angling to delegitimize any and all law enforcement efforts so we just give up and let everyone outta prison...

...probably to make more room for all of us insidious gun owners not smart enough to have frequent boating accidents

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
    Fairly sure the size would accommodate a rat nest.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Sounds like Michigan wasn't ok with this.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ng/4458773002/
    Good, that means someone is paying attention and doing something about the problem. If there is no integrity in the program it’s useless. David

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just cause the breathalizer gave a false reading after the fact, the initial cause for arrest was the officer's observations (breath, eyes, driving, responses, etc).

I have made convictions without even using a breathalizer or blood. Portable breathalizers, the small hand held ones are not admissible in court. They train officers to maintain it and keep records of the maintanence.

Media just wants to ruin law enforcement so crime can run free and make for interesting news.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 02-08-20 at 20:33.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast