Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case head rupture and impact on P320 Carry

Feedback Score

Case head rupture and impact on P320 Carry

Hello All,

During the third day of my MAG-40 class yesterday I was shooting 147 grain 9mm factory reloads (don't judge ) from a company that I'll name after I've talked to them about this. I fired a shot and was sprayed in the face, my support hand was black, the slide was open and I could see the head stamp of the case still in the barrel so genius that I am I knew something was wrong. Mas came over gave me clearing instructions but the case wouldn't extract. Mas used his kubotan to push the round out. We looked at the case and the case head had ruptured. I got back on the line fired a shot and had another type 3. I finished out the day with a Shield (which honestly sucked).

After the shooting was done for the day, I asked Marty Hayes if we could check the pistol. We loaded up and fired. One shot and a third type 3. At this point he said "there's no extractor". And there wasn't. It had been completely blown out of the gun.

Over night I found some talk about that being by design. The extractor is supposed to fail to save other things. Does that sound right? Given that I was able to fire 2 rounds does that imply the rest of the gun is golden? Or, does prudence demand that I have a gunsmith or SIG check it out?

The good thing is no one was hurt. The bad thing is that after shooting the SIG for 3 days I have to qualify with either a Shield or and XDm 45.

Thanks,

JRC II
    Last edited by jrcii; 07-21-19 at 07:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not the first 320 extractor departure I know of, though the others weren't associated with a kb event.

Take lots of high res pics of every part of the gun and post them here for the knowledge base. Notify the ammo manufacturer of the event and request instructions. I would send the gun back to Sig for their inspection and repair/replacement. The 320 design is too new, there are too few kbs thus far, and the 320 tweaks too...fluid...to do much else.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Not the first 320 extractor departure I know of, though the others weren't associated with a kb event.

Take lots of high res pics of every part of the gun and post them here for the knowledge base. Notify the ammo manufacturer of the event and request instructions. I would send the gun back to Sig for their inspection and repair/replacement. The 320 design is too new, there are too few kbs thus far, and the 320 tweaks too...fluid...to do much else.
    Thank you very much for the advice. I spoke with Sig and they repeated the statement that the extractor is designed to fail like that. They are going to inspect and repair it under warranty even though I was shooting reloads. I couldn't be happier about my experience with them. They also asked me to send in the offending case. I'll send up pictures before I send it out.

I'm about to contact the ammo manufacturer. We'll see how their CS is.

JRC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I find that reloads simply aren't worth the risk. You can buy factory ammo for the same, or sometimes less.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I find that reloads simply aren't worth the risk. You can buy factory ammo for the same, or sometimes less.
    Yup...

Damage to firearms, wasting training and time.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I find buying a Sig simply isn’t worth the risk. You can buy a Glock for the same, or sometimes less.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I find buying a Sig simply isn’t worth the risk. You can buy a Glock for the same, or sometimes less.
    Or a M&P.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yup... Damage to firearms, wasting training and time.
    There is a difference between "reloads" and ammunition that is remanufactured to a specification using a once-fired case. Certain commercially remanufactured ammunition can be as good (or better) than other's new, depending. Some is not worth disassembling for components, and dangerous to shoot.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    There is a difference between "reloads" and ammunition that is remanufactured to a specification using a once-fired case. Certain commercially remanufactured ammunition can be as good (or better) than other's new, depending. Some is not worth disassembling for components, and dangerous to shoot.
    Yeah. I won't touch remanufactured ammunition, or even buy new ammunition from any of the companies that produce the reman stuff. There are enough horror stories out there. Their QA is lacking.

What exactly is the benefit anyway? I'd rather shoot brand new, reputable PPU, Wolf Gold, S&B, etc. Same price or better, no issues with kabooms.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Avoid PPU. I saw a squib in a G17 once. Whole box was under powered. Although the brass is good for reloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast