Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Don't They Make a Pistol Brace Like This...

Feedback Score

Why Don't They Make a Pistol Brace Like This...

My frustration with AR pistol braces comes from the fact that there really isn't one that is the best of all worlds.

--I like the KAK brace but it requires a special buffer tube
    --I like the SBA3 brace because it uses the milspec buffer tube, but I hate the rubber "flaps"
    --I like the Tailhook 2 brace because of the hinged design, but it uses a proprietary buffer tube

So, this morning I emailed SB Tactical requesting they make a brace that uses the mil spec buffer tube but has a hinged design more like the Tailhook 2. I even stated I'd be happy with one that uses a set screw like the KAK brace if that was necessary for legality.

I'll post SB's response, if any.

Feedback Score
    SBA4 improved the rubber flap deal. The profile is narrower at the bottom and they don't fold onto each other like the 3 does. There is a mod for this. The only downside is the weight and not sure about the 3, but the 4 needs an Allen wrench to remove.

SB and KAK have different NFA interpretations for their products. KAK needs the setscrew, SB can be adjustable. I believe this is because of how they were submitted for evaluation. I greatly prefer the adjustability of SB. Plus, it feels closer to a real stock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    SBA4 improved the rubber flap deal. The profile is narrower at the bottom and they don't fold onto each other like the 3 does. There is a mod for this. The only downside is the weight and not sure about the 3, but the 4 needs an Allen wrench to remove.

SB and KAK have different NFA interpretations for their products. KAK needs the setscrew, SB can be adjustable. I believe this is because of how they were submitted for evaluation. I greatly prefer the adjustability of SB. Plus, it feels closer to a real stock.
    Can I just swap out the SBA4 for the SBA3? You mention a "mod". What is that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You're way over playing the 'flaw' of the SBA3.

Have you ever actually shot one?

It is the most perfect brace ever invented.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

Truth be told: I just literally picked up the BCM lower yesterday at about 5:30 pm. I just thought the rubber flaps on the SBA3 looked really Mickey Mouse like they wouldn't last more than a few range sessions.

So, yes, I'm a newbie toward the SBA3.

Feedback Score
    Yes, you can swap it out.

Link to Splitfix: http://lcequipped.com/sba3-splitfix-...encompany-com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Can I just swap out the SBA4 for the SBA3? You mention a "mod". What is that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I will heartily second the recommendation for the Split Fix for the SBA3. I have the Split Fix on my SBA3 on an AR that I shoot the most. The Split fix stiffens the rubber flap and protects them. I don't know why SB Tactical doesn't just equip the SBA3 with a Split Fix right from the start.

The Tailhook Two would be a strong competitor against the SBA3 if they made it compatible with standard REs.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-23-19 at 12:41.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Me, personally, I've shot both before choosing which one I wanted to buy and much prefer the SBA4. Better cheek weld and I prefer the narrow taper at the bottom. I do prefer the weight (~4oz lighter), length (~1.5" shorter) and looks of the 3. Both are great and, IMO, blow away the KAK brace overall. KAK has superior lightness. ETA: And conceal-ability. SB's are pretty chunky.

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

Last edited by tehpwnag3; 07-23-19 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you have a SBA3 that you're happy with, I don't know that I'd dump it for a SBA4, but when I needed a second brace I didn't hesitate to order the SBA4 instead of another SBA3 because in my opinion it's the best brace on the market.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    If you have a SBA3 that you're happy with, I don't know that I'd dump it for a SBA4, but when I needed a second brace I didn't hesitate to order the SBA4 instead of another SBA3 because in my opinion it's the best brace on the market.
    Can you buy just the brace? Every place I looked you have to buy the receiver extension and everything. The pistol already came with the SBA3 brace, RE, and everything.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast