G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Does Excess Protein Make you Fat?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,299
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

    Does Excess Protein Make you Fat?

    The common mantra in nutrition circles has traditionally been protein intakes above requirements (and requirements also a hotly debated topic..) "will just be converted to fat." The reality is, that's not true, and like so many things, a lot more complicated than the simple 4/4/9 model taught. In a nut shell, it's actually difficult to add bodyfat eating excess protein compared to fat and carbohydrates. If one wants to get into the science of it, a recently published review written by a buddy of mine, is a good place to start to understand that topic:

    The Effects of Overfeeding on Body Composition: The Role of Macronutrient Composition – A Narrative Review.

    If you don't want to slog through that paper, and just want my down and dirty jaded POV on the matter:

    https://brinkzone.com/does-excess-protein-make-you-fat/
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    8,703
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've always thought it was carbs that made you fat.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,299
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I've always thought it was carbs that made you fat.
    Ultimately Excess calories are what make you fat, and excess calories from fat and carbs the primary drivers of that, much less so for protein. In fact, it's exceedingly difficult to add bodyfat from excess protein intakes. That does not = eating nothing but protein is a good idea from a health POV long term, but higher P diets do tend to get better results in fat loss in my experience and generally supported by the data. Full paper linked if you want the granular details.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 07-23-19 at 15:57.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    OUTPOST 31
    Posts
    8,761
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I just want to eat Keto and pin test cyp


    But the majority of doctors are losers in this regards


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Answer The Bell...” J.W.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,299
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    I just want to eat Keto and pin test cyp


    But the majority of doctors are losers in this regards
    If it didn't have a negative impact on your lipids and it was an approach you could maintain for the long term, I'd say go for it. However, that's rarely if ever the case in my experience.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    OUTPOST 31
    Posts
    8,761
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    If it didn't have a negative impact on your lipids and it was an approach you could maintain for the long term, I'd say go for it. However, that's rarely if ever the case in my experience.
    The keto or the test?


    Because I can eat beef for a long... long.. time


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Answer The Bell...” J.W.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,299
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    The keto or the test?


    Because I can eat beef for a long... long.. time
    Both can, but not in all cases, and the combo likely to increase the chances of that as both can be contributors. However, TRT does not appear to raise the risk of CVD, and some data suggests it lowers the risks and or, has no impact on CV events. Keto is still something of a moving target on that score. I'm not a fan.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    OUTPOST 31
    Posts
    8,761
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Both can, but not in all cases, and the combo likely to increase the chances of that as both can be contributors. However, TRT does not appear to raise the risk of CVD, and some data suggests it lowers the risks and or, has no impact on CV events. Keto is still something of a moving target on that score. I'm not a fan.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Answer The Bell...” J.W.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sodom & Gomorrah on the Sound - Seattle, Wash., Left Coast Hell
    Posts
    2,290
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think we can bust this one, I'm on a steak/chicken-and-salad diet with the odd sandwich here and there (high protein, high fiber, moderate healthy fat and low net-carb) and this morning, from a high of almost 240 three months ago this five-by-five's fat ass is now down to 217.4 as of this morning.

    I figure when I hit an evening high of 215 or less (my norm seems to be I gain around a pound through the day then burn it overnight in "normal resting," less gain if I'm actually doing physical labor like shoving 400# of wheelchair around all day), then I'll reward myself with a pasta binge and take a break for a week before I go back to it. I doubt I'll make my all-time low of 160 before my 40th (and really, that was a bit unhealthily low for my particular frame despite being five feet six), but I'm aiming for 200-or-less to be happy and if I can get to the 175-180lb. range that'll be a bonus.
    You really have to ask why Conservatives have guns? Because Liberals block freeways, burn cities, throw Molotov cocktails, loot, turn over cop cars, and think this behavior is Socially Acceptable.
    --unknown, memed by user "KeepnitReel" at Northwest Firearms

    The NRA: Fighting Democratic Party terrorists with military-style assault weapons since 1871. LIFE MEMBER

    No affiliation with Diamondback Firearms, or any other manufacturer/distributor/retailer.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    419
    Feedback Score
    0
    Protein is thermogenic. It takes more energy per calorie to break down protein than both carbs and fats.

    Protein can be turned into glucose, based on demand, by our metabolic system. Allowing the body to regulate its own blood sugar, instead of spiking and bottoming out by adding sugar? In my book, vastly superior for both overall health and performance.

    I've been eating in a high-protein, moderate fat, near-zero carb regimen all year, and I've never felt better.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •