Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does Excess Protein Make you Fat?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Been eating "Keto-ish" for about two years now. Never felt better: fat % around 12; great workouts; lots of energy; great sleep. I say "Keto-ish" as I don't think I am in 'strict' ketosis (probably minimal to medium ketones) as I cheat on occasion with a couple potato chips, a spoonful of ice-cream, etc. I don't eat pasta, flour, taters, etc.

The more research I do, the more it looks like insulin is the culprit for weight gain, metabolic syndrome, etc. Insulin is apparently being targeted by more and more physicians as they study the interaction on calories, the endocrine system, exercise, etc.

I'm glad no one mentioned the "calories in v. calories out" canard....that was disproved back in the 1920's. A great book to read up on the issue of that myth is THE CASE AGAINST SUGAR, by Gary Taube (?). I just finished it and he slays a lot of dragons in there.

Will, that may be a good book for you as he does a great job at listing the various studies from which he draws his theories. There's a LOT in there ti unpack.

But, in the end, I think you summed it up best by saying whatever works for you......
    Brother, that is not the case and and end of the day, energy flux (ergo calories) still rules all and no studies have disprove that, not in 1929 nor 2019. I don't tend to read people's books on the topic, I read the primary data. I'm a scientist and do that chit for a living. Taube's is considered a total joke among legit nutritional scientists, and got his ass kicked badly in a debate with a buddy of mine not long ago.

While it is more complex under the hood than simple cals in/out, that's still the primary driver of weight loss/gain.

My advice, ignore anything Gary Taube's has to say on the issue. He wants to sell books, not progress nutritional science. He cherry picks data and or misrepresents data to convince people sugar is the evil of all things, and it's BS.

When keto diets are matched for cals (iso caloric) and protein matched, weight loss is the same. It's still the calories that caused the wight loss. There may be some different metabolic effects between say keto (VLCD diets) and more traditional approaches, but weight loss is similar/same depending on the study.

I tend to support what people find works for them, but (1) when they start to also modify the science/facts to their own POV, such as other member who claims it's just fat that's the cause and never heard of a keto diet, I will correct it and (2) repeat, getting the weight off is not the hard part, keeping it off is, so the real issue is what approach leads to permanent weight loss and does not degrade health.

As far as Keto is concerned RE, the above points, data is mixed and I personally am not convinced it's a good long term strategy for most people. Article on my site also gets deeper into the overly simple 3500 cals per lb rule to get more granular:

https://brinkzone.com/is-the-dieting...-loss-correct/
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-02-19 at 11:02.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Boon View Post
    Five pounds in two days ! How is that even possible ?.
    Water weight. You can easily fluctuate 5lbs or more in water weight depending on what you ate. That’s how UFC fighters lose 20lbs in a week and gain it all back in 24 hours.

Feedback Score
    Interesting

Feedback Score
    The nice thing is that these days you can identify as anything you want to be , that being the case there is no need to diet. I know a big fat bloke who identifies as being thin, he is a translender.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I leaned up significantly eating Keto; and felt great. The only downside was my cholesterol went hyperbolic.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Both can, but not in all cases, and the combo likely to increase the chances of that as both can be contributors. However, TRT does not appear to raise the risk of CVD, and some data suggests it lowers the risks and or, has no impact on CV events. Keto is still something of a moving target on that score. I'm not a fan.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've tried some diets. What I've found in the end is that fad diets haven't worked for me. Basically it is a permanent change in diet to eating healthy and exercise that works best for me at least. Plenty of fruits and veggies with some protein and daily exercise... which is hard for me sitting behind a desk all day long to get motivated after work to workout.... plus I love my Gen. Tso's chicken! But I cut eating out so much and that has helped with some weight loss. Getting into walking and running regularly now and I've dropped about 20 lbs since starting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhund1918 View Post
    I've tried some diets. What I've found in the end is that fad diets haven't worked for me. Basically it is a permanent change in diet to eating healthy and exercise that works best for me at least. Plenty of fruits and veggies with some protein and daily exercise... which is hard for me sitting behind a desk all day long to get motivated after work to workout.... plus I love my Gen. Tso's chicken! But I cut eating out so much and that has helped with some weight loss. Getting into walking and running regularly now and I've dropped about 20 lbs since starting.
    How long is it since you started dieting ?

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Which time? Lol... been on it for a few weeks now. I've lost 20 lbs so far. I want to get back down to about 225. Felt good there. I've had some injuries over the last few years along with getting a desk job. End result has been putting on alot of weight unfortunately. I try to eat healthy, but being single makes it hard to be consistent when I'm running around alot. Pretty much I know what to do, just not disciplined enough to stick to it!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234