Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR:Viking Tactics Carbine 1.5-N.C. April 18-20,2009-Videos added Feb. 3

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Still have three slots at a Cabin if anyone is interested.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Any one going to this class should get in on the cabin. It will cut your lodgeing bill in half and there will be some great company.

There is also a nice open area to clean your rifle after the class. You can also trade info and thoughts about the class or any other class you have been to.

Also, god forbid you have any weapons malfunctions you have a bunch of guys that will go out of there way to help you fix it. I for one bring plenty of extra parts.

And it beats going back to a hotel room and talking to the wife all night.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This class is a go however, there are a couple of slots left.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    This was an excellent class thanks to Jeff and Jack for putting this together with Kyle.

This class will push you beyond what you thought you could do with a carbine.

Thanks as well to all the participants. It was a great group of students who knew their stuff and it was a pleasure to watch all of you and learn.

I hope to see all of you at the Night Fighter Class in November.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To add to what John posted.

The class was very well-organized and had very minimal downtime. Outside of the last Shooter Evaluation at the end of the last day; the least number of people shooting online was five - that was a for a very specific purpose.

Most of the time it was half of the class (we had 17 students - I think). SGM Lamb built follow-on exercises and drills on the previous exercises and drills. And even with the number of students both SGM Lamb and his towering assistant, "Talkative Dan", provided some very timely and much needed individual feedback.

Although all the drills were shot under the timer and recorded; each one was relevant to and were made to enforce the lessons.

FWIW, the reason this is labeled a Carbine 1.5 is because it is beyond Basic Carbine (Carbine 1?) but not quite as demanding as the next (Carbine 2?). I would not hesitate to recommend this class to anyone who wants to go beyond Basic Rifle/Carbine.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It was great to meet all of the other fellow students. Everyone got along well and played nicely, and was the most squared-away bunch in an open enrollment shooting course I've been to. I believe that Kyle and Dan very quickly identified areas that individuals specifically needed to improve in, (and did so without calling anyone out publicly on it) and I noticed clear progress toward that goal from day 1 to day 3.

I would highly recommend that anyone seriously interested in improving their shooting skills take a VTAC class.

PS: Knees!!!!
    Last edited by Boss Hogg; 04-21-09 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i'm a little worried.

i enjoyed that brokeback mountain session too much.

Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

1) lots of trigger time. at least 2 reps, usually 3 or even more of each drill.

2) learned new techniques. like that brokeback mountain position. what is that, you ask? heh.

3) i had an excuse, in fact permission, no scratch that, an obligation to try to shoot "faster." like, 10 rounds in 2.5 seconds at the 5 yard line. all in the black on a bullseye target. dunno about you, but my range at home won't let me do that.

4) the class was at times very physical. i found myself winded after a few of the drills. i enjoyed experiencing the extra stress and how it affects shooting.

5) i enjoyed shooting at 100 yards on iron as much as we did.

6) lots of transitioning to support side. good practice.

7) got a chance to do a LOT of barricade shooting on TD3. through the barricade ports (standing, kneeling, rice-paddying, brokebackmountaining, rollover prone) and then around them. with both strong and weak sides.

8) KNEES! oops, sorry, you had it right.

9) i FINALLY found a kneeling and sitting position i can shoot! my favorite kneeling position is the "stretch kneel," and the sitting position that works for me is the "stacked feet" position. no more short-bussing at 100 yards on these positions.

10) the class had a buttoned-down set of participants who truly had their shit together.

11) IIRC, TD1 round count was 650, TD2 round count was 400-450 (not including the 10 handgun rounds we shot). Don't know what TD3 round count was (checking), but I had ammo left over, so the round count was lower than the 1,800 initially planned. (i'm not complaining!)

12) instructor Lamb kept the pace of the class flowing briskly. i think we shot from 9 am to 5 pm ish each day, with a one hour lunch break. sure squeezed a lot in.

13) i am sore as hell, and i think i'm not the only one. must be that brokeback mountain. heh.

14) i was reminded that home-brewed rifles can be problematic on the range.

15) james dietz prints are unbelievably inspiring.
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 04-21-09 at 18:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "you gonna do this again next summer?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "Well, maybe not."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast