G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Milspec FLC setup?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sodom & Gomorrah on the Sound - Seattle, Wash., Left Coast Hell
    Posts
    2,215
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Milspec FLC setup?

    Some folks may try to throw the LARP flag on me for this, but... well, as a historian I'm a fan of having the correct gear when you're handling a rifle, try to replicate the experience of those who carried it to war as much as practically and safely possible. (Living History, Reenacting and hands-on demo beat pedantic pedagogue prattling every time, in my experience... there's a reason we start kids off with such teaching methods, A. they hold attention better and B. they work, going all the way back to Scripture about "walk a mile in another man's shoes.")

    Anyway, as I work up my M4 and M16A4 clones it occurs to me that I have no idea where to start building up a Fighting Load Carrier for them. I have the component list for the old MOLLE Rifleman Set, but am having trouble finding anything about how much things changed with the move to ILBE, FILBE and plates-for-everyone. If for some insane (and this *is* the right word, I was 4-F'ed for good reason ) reason somebody was shipping my five-by-five ass off to a war zone in current basic-issue rifleman load, what all would I find myself strapped into?

    I do know that the basic ingredients for a MOLLE-II FLC were:
    1. FLC Vest
    2. 2x Frag Grenade Pouch
    3. 3x M16/M4 Double Mag Pouch
    4. 2x M16/M4 Triple-Mag Shingle or 1x 6-Mag Bandolier
    5. 2x Canteen/Utility Pouch
    6. 1x 100oz Camelbak


    How far out of date is this setup, and for a complete dumbass question, since all the diagrams I've seen only show three mag pouches on the front (I'm guessing two doubles one side of the zipper, third and the frag pouches the other) where do the shingles/bandolier mount?

    Flame if you must, I have my Nomex skivvies on--but before you do, consider the fact that I'm entrusting my attempt to learn this stuff to some of the best minds I know in this field.
    You really have to ask why Conservatives have guns? Because Liberals block freeways, burn cities, throw Molotov cocktails, loot, turn over cop cars, and think this behavior is Socially Acceptable.
    --unknown, memed by user "KeepnitReel" at Northwest Firearms

    The NRA: Fighting Democratic Party terrorists with military-style assault weapons since 1871. LIFE MEMBER

    No affiliation with Diamondback Firearms, or any other manufacturer/distributor/retailer.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    120
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    double tap.
    Last edited by ap1220; 07-26-19 at 01:56.
    "Warriors"

    Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

    -Heraclitis

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    120
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Here is the most updated version of the standard issue Riflemen set: https://www.entrygear.com/product.asp?id=F198086377
    Sorry, work won't let me post the pictures.

    That list sounds about right, if there wasn't an SOP, you went with either the double mag pouches or the single shingles. Otherwise you were limited to whatever the SOP was. I saw a mix of the two with no real standard during my first two deployments(Be nice, I'm just an FA guy who's a little more switched on). Following that, some initial SOPs did not take into account Left vs Right handed shooters and some were slow to accept and change that(Called it the war to maintain "Everyone looking the same"). I should also add that this seemed to go away once we got away from just having the IBA.

    With the MOLLE II, you could rearrange the "belt" portion of the FLC and it could be zipped up or the "belt" inverted to clip in the back and make it more of a chest rig. Never really saw specific SOP regarding it in my units once we went to it. I used mine like a chest rig with double mag pouches in the front, IFAK on non shooting side and grenade pouches on right. Opposite far sides were flanked with canteens. People who wore it like a vest with incorporating the zipper, those guys would normally use the shingles from what I remember.

    Now, it's more of a "minimum" standard as to what goes on your TAPS regarding SOPs, unless you go full out "Tactical Timmy", not much is denied. For example, the current SOP in my brigade is the above linked panel with IFAK flanked by TQ on non-shooting side. Canteen pouch on shooting side(for NVD storage), and two grenade pouches with camelback being worn. A lot of guys have an admin pouch and there is no specified position for the grenade pouches as long as they are on there. The real estate fills up quickly on there but I really like the new FLC. It can be used as a chest rig and with the attachment points can be integrated onto your EIOTV/PC.

    I have seen some people add the shingles or double mag pouches in addition to the 6 mags you can carry with the new set but usually that gets fixed shortly after lol.

    Hope that helped and wasn't too much drivel.
    Last edited by ap1220; 08-06-19 at 01:01.
    "Warriors"

    Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

    -Heraclitis

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sodom & Gomorrah on the Sound - Seattle, Wash., Left Coast Hell
    Posts
    2,215
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No drivel at all, very helpful--pretty much *anything* helps put more yardage on the field than where I was even three hours ago not even sure what questions to ask. Good point about handing, as I'm a southpaw myself but would ideally want to set things up for a quick-change so that if I manage to pull off breaking back into academia and doing class Range Days things can just be swapped side to side rather than having to build up full LH and RH rigs.
    You really have to ask why Conservatives have guns? Because Liberals block freeways, burn cities, throw Molotov cocktails, loot, turn over cop cars, and think this behavior is Socially Acceptable.
    --unknown, memed by user "KeepnitReel" at Northwest Firearms

    The NRA: Fighting Democratic Party terrorists with military-style assault weapons since 1871. LIFE MEMBER

    No affiliation with Diamondback Firearms, or any other manufacturer/distributor/retailer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,063
    Feedback Score
    71 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    ....If for some insane ....reason somebody was shipping my five-by-five ass off to a war zone in current basic-issue rifleman load, what all would I find myself strapped into?

    I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone uses this awful thing anymore.

    How far out of date is this setup...

    Like...FAR out of date...it's nearly prehistoric in today-gear terms...
    This might sound a little harsh, but I'm gonna just stop you right there.

    Get a current chest rig.
    If you need/want plates, get a current PC.
    If you hate torso mounted items, built a belt kit.
    If you need more storage space, get an appropriately sized pack to add on.
    The. End.

    Everyone needs to just stop with trying to make icky old gear relevant for "historic" reasons. InRange can get away with it for youtube, because he's Gun Jesus and you're not, so for the rest of us...modern gear is the right choice.
    I owned an FLC once (along with shit-tons of other gear). There was no reason for me to continue using it. Actually, I never used it...tried it once and was like nopenopenope... I've also watched other people attempt to use those horrid button-flap mag shingle pouches as shown in the Entrygear link on multiple occasions- I have yet to see anyone execute anything *close* to a speed reload, or not continue fumble around with the thing for like 5 minutes after everyone else has already loaded, ate a snickers bar, and moved on because of the awful finger-grip mag purchase you get... just, nope.

    Perhaps if we were in the middle of the electric boogaloo and supplies were an issue, than yeah, run whatever you can, but we're not yet... and therefore the ability to buy FAR superior current gear outweighs any cost-saving benefits or dubious historical significance.
    Unless you are *literally* trying to go for historical accuracy only, not overall usefulness, in which case, the FLC-era is still lame. haha

    There's couple PINNED posts here in this forum section for chest rigs, belts, and gear setup, although to be fair, there are many other options on the market currently than are covered here. But that's a good start.
    Or ask more questions here- tell us more about what you want your kit to do?

    Or PM me or someone else here if you're worried about asking a dumb question.

    Just...put the surplus gear down, man and back away...slowly...it's going to be alright...we can all walk out of here alive...
    Last edited by Jellybean; 08-05-19 at 13:22.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

    "...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

    Proud multi-caliber ammosexual.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC.
    Posts
    1,537
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The latest “rifleman's kit” is actually pretty good. I’ll try to post up some pics of modern setups, both armored and non-armored, later.
    RLTW

    “That is why there isn't an AK chart.” -SteyrAUG
    “They eat tide pods also so what's your point?” Retrorevolver77

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    8,703
    Feedback Score
    0
    What is the latest chest rig?

    I use the FLC even though it sucks because of the light weight and the cheap price, but I'm always looking for something better.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    6,478
    Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

    Milspec FLC setup?

    The FLC is still current big Army issue but a lot of light BDEs have transitioned to other platforms, such as the TAPs. Better concept behind it, but still lame Army construction.

    Also, if you’ve ever worn a good chest rig, you realize that the FLC is not at all light.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    120
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    This might sound a little harsh, but I'm gonna just stop you right there.

    Get a current chest rig.
    If you need/want plates, get a current PC.
    If you hate torso mounted items, built a belt kit.
    If you need more storage space, get an appropriately sized pack to add on.
    The. End.

    Everyone needs to just stop with trying to make icky old gear relevant for "historic" reasons. InRange can get away with it for youtube, because he's Gun Jesus and you're not, so for the rest of us...modern gear is the right choice.
    I owned an FLC once (along with shit-tons of other gear). There was no reason for me to continue using it. Actually, I never used it...tried it once and was like nopenopenope... I've also watched other people attempt to use those horrid button-flap mag shingle pouches as shown in the Entrygear link on multiple occasions- I have yet to see anyone execute anything *close* to a speed reload, or not continue fumble around with the thing for like 5 minutes after everyone else has already loaded, ate a snickers bar, and moved on because of the awful finger-grip mag purchase you get... just, nope.

    Perhaps if we were in the middle of the electric boogaloo and supplies were an issue, than yeah, run whatever you can, but we're not yet... and therefore the ability to buy FAR superior current gear outweighs any cost-saving benefits or dubious historical significance.
    Unless you are *literally* trying to go for historical accuracy only, not overall usefulness, in which case, the FLC-era is still lame. haha

    There's couple PINNED posts here in this forum section for chest rigs, belts, and gear setup, although to be fair, there are many other options on the market currently than are covered here. But that's a good start.
    Or ask more questions here- tell us more about what you want your kit to do?

    Or PM me or someone else here if you're worried about asking a dumb question.

    Just...put the surplus gear down, man and back away...slowly...it's going to be alright...we can all walk out of here alive...
    I like you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The FLC is still current big Army issue but a lot of light BDEs have transitioned to other platforms, such as the TAPs. Better concept behind it, but still lame Army construction.

    Also, if you’ve ever worn a good chest rig, you realize that the FLC is not at all light.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, and I agree with you both. I would much rather run a different chest rig but the TAPS panel does work if it's set up right. I can't tell you how many times I've helped Joes who weren't my soldiers "better configure" their setups. Oh, you want to stack both shingle pouches on your same side at the far end and then run your IFAK on top of that? Tell me, how you gonna reload from there even WITH your support hand, let alone if you had to use your shooting hand. *Joe gives deer in headlights look* "I...I don't understand Sa'rnt?!"

    I really wish more time could be spent on marksmanship and reloads during qualifications so that Soldiers could learn how their gear works and how it doesn't. Still have too many who don't practice with what they carry or even think about their setups, especially when they just get handed their three mags to go qual with where they stuff them into pockets or just place them on the ground. I know we're not infantry, but this is an across the board, institutional problem in my opinion.
    "Warriors"

    Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

    -Heraclitis

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    6,478
    Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ap1220 View Post
    I like you.



    Yes, and I agree with you both. I would much rather run a different chest rig but the TAPS panel does work if it's set up right. I can't tell you how many times I've helped Joes who weren't my soldiers "better configure" their setups. Oh, you want to stack both shingle pouches on your same side at the far end and then run your IFAK on top of that? Tell me, how you gonna reload from there even WITH your support hand, let alone if you had to use your shooting hand. *Joe gives deer in headlights look* "I...I don't understand Sa'rnt?!"

    I really wish more time could be spent on marksmanship and reloads during qualifications so that Soldiers could learn how their gear works and how it doesn't. Still have too many who don't practice with what they carry or even think about their setups, especially when they just get handed their three mags to go qual with where they stuff them into pockets or just place them on the ground. I know we're not infantry, but this is an across the board, institutional problem in my opinion.
    I don’t know if you’re still active, but the updated ref was just publish with the changes to the qual. Mag changes are now a part of it and the whole thing is on one timer so they’re about to learn the hard way.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •