Some folks may try to throw the LARP flag on me for this, but... well, as a historian I'm a fan of having the correct gear when you're handling a rifle, try to replicate the experience of those who carried it to war as much as practically and safely possible. (Living History, Reenacting and hands-on demo beat pedantic pedagogue prattling every time, in my experience... there's a reason we start kids off with such teaching methods, A. they hold attention better and B. they work, going all the way back to Scripture about "walk a mile in another man's shoes.")

Anyway, as I work up my M4 and M16A4 clones it occurs to me that I have no idea where to start building up a Fighting Load Carrier for them. I have the component list for the old MOLLE Rifleman Set, but am having trouble finding anything about how much things changed with the move to ILBE, FILBE and plates-for-everyone. If for some insane (and this *is* the right word, I was 4-F'ed for good reason ) reason somebody was shipping my five-by-five ass off to a war zone in current basic-issue rifleman load, what all would I find myself strapped into?

I do know that the basic ingredients for a MOLLE-II FLC were:
  1. FLC Vest
  2. 2x Frag Grenade Pouch
  3. 3x M16/M4 Double Mag Pouch
  4. 2x M16/M4 Triple-Mag Shingle or 1x 6-Mag Bandolier
  5. 2x Canteen/Utility Pouch
  6. 1x 100oz Camelbak

How far out of date is this setup, and for a complete dumbass question, since all the diagrams I've seen only show three mag pouches on the front (I'm guessing two doubles one side of the zipper, third and the frag pouches the other) where do the shingles/bandolier mount?

Flame if you must, I have my Nomex skivvies on--but before you do, consider the fact that I'm entrusting my attempt to learn this stuff to some of the best minds I know in this field.