Thread: Does putting a brake on an AR10 effect function?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Does putting a brake on an AR10 effect function?

I recently bought a AR10 in 6.5 and before ever shooting it, I put on a brake/mount for my suppressor. When we took it to the range, it was short stroking like it was under gassed. Would putting on a brake effect that in any way?

After mounting the can, it ran like a top. I am thrilled, but was curious if the brake made a difference. I have spoken of this gun in multiple threads, so my apologies for my redundancy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The brake would (fractionally) improve function over bare muzzle. The fact the rifle functions better with the suppressor means your rifle's gas system is optimally tuned for the added "Un-cork" time for the length of your overall system (barrel length plus time the gas is building port pressure until the bullet and gas column depart the front of your suppressor).

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    In personal experience, I went from a FCD 6315 (A2 style flash hider) to a Warcomp on a 5.56 rifle and had to open the AGB one more click.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Does putting a brake on an AR10 effect function?

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    The brake would (fractionally) improve function over bare muzzle. The fact the rifle functions better with the suppressor means your rifle's gas system is optimally tuned for the added "Un-cork" time for the length of your overall system (barrel length plus time the gas is building port pressure until the bullet and gas column depart the front of your suppressor).
    This is why I still mostly hang out here. Real knowledge . I do have a question I hope you don’t mind answering. It may even be a stupid question.

The additional “un-cork” time you referenced is just due to the added length the can gives the rifle?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's a function of how long (both time and gas volume) the suppressor keeps the entire system pressurized.

If the suppressor is short and fat or a reflex design the gas is still expanding in volume until bullet departure (shorter time) and gas pressure drops. A long but narrow suppressor is doing the same thing -- the gas column isn't released until the bullet departs the front of the suppressor, so time and volume are building down the length. There's a sweet spot where fat or reflexed and long and narrow time/pressure curves peak and meet.

I'm not an engineer so can't give you the technical terms.

Pressure drops at the uncork moment. Gases then escape out the muzzle both cooler and slower than with a bare muzzle crown and supersonic gas "Crack."

I love this video:

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I recently bought a AR10 in 6.5 and before ever shooting it, I put on a brake/mount for my suppressor. When we took it to the range, it was short stroking like it was under gassed. Would putting on a brake effect that in any way?
    After mounting the can, it ran like a top. I am thrilled, but was curious if the brake made a difference. I have spoken of this gun in multiple threads, so my apologies for my redundancy.
    PB
    A brake *can* rob the system of the inertia it needs to complete the cycle of operation. This has a lot to do with the timing of the system, and is not at all universal.
    The effect of the suppressor is basically giving additional velocity to the system, and taking away the effects of the brake.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I recently bought a AR10 in 6.5 and before ever shooting it, I put on a brake/mount for my suppressor. When we took it to the range, it was short stroking like it was under gassed.
    Part of the reason I never modify a firearm before shooting it first.

You can induce issues, or if there are issues already present, it's hard to discount what you changed and if you have to send it back, you like have to take them off.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Part of the reason I never modify a firearm before shooting it first.

You can induce issues, or if there are issues already present, it's hard to discount what you changed and if you have to send it back, you like have to take them off.
    It’s a good point, however this is an easy reversal. I was considering an A5 system, and waited to do that for this very reason. And I don’t think I’ll do the A5 and XH buffer, but I will keep an eye on it and may.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A brake and/or supported positional shooting where the rifle is allowed to freely recoil can be like limp wristing a pistol.

Feedback Score
    Take the brake off and shoot the rifle, more than likely you had issue before mounting the brake. I always shoot new guns first before making any kind of changes. The brake just added another unknown issue, you want to reduce the possibilities as much as possible, especially if your gas system is marginal in efficiency.