Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The hybrid bolt action rifle concept

Feedback Score
    I do a lot of long range hunting, as well as PRS competitive shooting, and I really like the idea of a hybrid type gun. My competition gun in 6x47 Lapua is pretty heavy, and so is my hunting gun in 7mm Rem Mag, so i've been looking at doing a hybrid for a lighter weight gun i can hike/hunt with, that still gives me the long range advantages.

I think the perfect hybrid gun would be a 6.5 PRC in a Manners Elite Carbon Folding Stock with a Sendero cut Proof Research Carbon Barrel. The stock and barrel are both around 3.5 lbs, so you'd probably come in around 9lbs ish with the action/trigger etc. And if you wanted a less expensive stock, you could go with the KRG Bravo Chassis which is about $1k less than the Manners.

The 6.5 PRC is a round that will take most game, but that's not too big or expensive to load that you can't target/competition shoot with it, and also has decent barrel life, and not much recoil.
    Last edited by B Cart; 08-01-19 at 14:40.

Feedback Score
    I totally get this, but I disagree with the Tikka CTR not fitting the role. I absolutely bought mine with this in mind. And just an FYI, if anybody agrees with me and wants a Tikka, for this month only, there is a $75 rebate on all T3X’s.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    I totally get this, but I disagree with the Tikka CTR not fitting the role. I absolutely bought mine with this in mind. And just an FYI, if anybody agrees with me and wants a Tikka, for this month only, there is a $75 rebate on all T3X’s.
    Totally agree (though I'd put the CTR in a slightly different category as in my OP), the CTR is a great rifle and can be used in this hybrid role, esp if you don't need to shoot a lot of long strings. If it were available to get a CTR in a Lefthand 6.5 CM (they aren't available here in CONUS), I'd have been all over it long ago as I really like the "light tactical rifle" concept.

Here's a cool thing that I've seen some folks do with a CTR to use it in a multi-purpose (shall we say, "hybrid"?? :-) ) role vs having to buy 2 rifles, 2 scopes, etc:

* Hunting/LTR rifle. Upgrade the factory stock with AICS bottom metal (like this one), so you can use compatible mags from other rifles and your chassis.
    * Range/comps rifle. Add an AICS compatible chassis for Tikka T3. There are a ton out there for RH shooters, my fave candidates in order would be: XLR Industries Carbon, MDT LSS XL, KRG Bravo.

IMHO, for a RH shooter, Tikka CTR is one of the most interesting and useful multi-purpose rifles out there, esp if you set it up something like this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm using my CTR as a hybrid also, in the original stock. It's a legit 3/4 minute gun for 10 shot strings. So I'm not willing to trade the weight for an add'l 1/4 minute. Especially when I consider that it damn near one-holes 3-shot groups and clovers 5-shot groups (moot from field positions). It's a great gun, and is so good it has dislodged my beautiful CZ550FS from the stand.
    Last edited by Intransigent; 08-09-19 at 07:14.

Feedback Score
    I have a cunning plan to make a .223 Lee Enfield Jungle carbine ! I'm presently getting all the parts together, I just need to get hold of a flash hider which is not easy in Canada... I have all the other parts needed.

Feedback Score
    Delete
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-20-20 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I’d throw the Steyr Scout into this pile. It’s accurate enough and nice to shoot. QD rings and you can use the appropriate scope for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    My friend hunts elk with a custom chassis rifle.

https://mdttac.com/us_en/ess-chassis-system.html
    That chassis is probably the nicest looking and most updated one in their line. Depending on the weight of the rifle and scope used, with this chassis the total rig could get pretty heavy. Don't know where they hunt elk, maybe they don't have to lug it too far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12