Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Top-Tier AR Brand Advice

Feedback Score

Top-Tier AR Brand Advice

I just want to apologize in advance for making another of the “what brand of AR should I get” posts. I just want to be as straight forward as possible. I’ve grew up shooting AR’s my entire life with everyone in my family owning at least a few. It has finally come time for me to buy my own after recently turning 18. I would consider myself fairly knowledgeable in reference to the higher end AR brands, but I am stuck in the process of deciding which to buy my first AR from. I am looking for solid, reliable, and high quality rifle that I could depend on to handle any situation. I have made myself a budget of $1,500 (willing to work a little with it). I’m looking for a 14.5 or a 16 inch barrel, I am a little interested in the 14.5 due to having a few other 16 inch AR’s in our household, but will be fine with a 16. I have done a good amount out research on BCM’s Recce AR’s, Daniel Defense particularly with their V-7, LMT, LWRC, and LaRue. I live on a decent sized farm and we all frequently shoot, predator hunt, and I also would like to of course have the AR for any defense needs at home or on the farm. I am currently in college and am not in the place where I can spend $2,000+ on an AR-15 without making sacrifices to necessities; however, I just want to make sure that I do it the right way and spend enough money to where I am able to have a solid, established brand, well-built, reliable, and dependable AR-15. I also apologize for the paragraph, I just want to make an educated decision.
    Last edited by GibsonBanjos; 07-27-19 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    The brands you mentioned are GTG. SOLGW and Sionic are also GTG and more customizable. They also answer the phone and are willing to help out if you have any technical questions.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You’re on the right track in my opinion. The options in your price range I recommend include:

Colt (CCU, EPR, Trooper, M4A1 SOCOM)
    BCM
    Sionics
    SOLGW
    Centurion Arms
    LMT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If I were starting all over again in ARs, I would get a mid-length gas BCM. I have a BCM upper with 16" govt profile barrel and mid length gas and fixed front sight. I put it on a lower I assembled. The rifle has been 100% reliable from day one and I have fed it a wide variety of ammo. I wouldn't classify this as a target rifle, but it's plenty accurate for most tasks. I do use it as my home defense and general purpose AR. The only things I have added to it are a Streamlight Polytac and a Sig Romeo5 red dot. Hard to go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned above, but I think BCM will give you the most for the least amount of money.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    GB,

You shooting with a red dot or with a scope with this one?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    in order of preference:
    1. Colt 14.5 preferably with SOCOM barrel.
    2. Knights Armament (if you're willing to pay the price and accept some proprietary parts) or HK 416 if you can find an upper.
    3. LMT/BCM/Daniel Defense
    4. Centurion Arms - very quality on par with #3, but they have somewhat limited configuration options. Not sure about long-term support availability. Maybe Geissele now falls into the same category.
    5. everything else. Personally, I would not consider anything else besides listed above. Not that other companies make a bad product, it's just that price/quality/long term support simply isn't enough to justify other options. Unless you want something fancy/custom which some other companies like POF, LWRC offer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would get a LaRue Ultimate upper. If you want a 14.5 inche barrel you will need to go with their stealth profile (read the reviews).

It would go out the door at 792.00 in black with whatever color LaRue furniture you want, if you want the receiver and barrel coated a different color it is 99.00 extra. The ultimate upper comes with everything you need to build the rifle except for the lower receiver, and you can have a matching LaRue lower for 199.00 more.

So you could build a sub moa rifle with a premium trigger and an absolute rock rail for 992.00 plus the price of a new muzzle device (I'd ditch the Tranquillo brake) and pin and weld (if you go 14.5 inches). You'd be out 1192.00 if you had them assemble the upper and test fire it. (although I'm not sure that is the price - I just put one in my cart assembled and it showed 792.00).

I freely admit I'm a fan boi, but unless you want to throw twenty dollar bills away like a sailor in a strip club, I don't know why you'd buy anything else for what you listed using the rifle for.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    All the brands you suggest are perfectly fine. Good for you. You're not asking "what $500 entry level AR is best" (a legitimate line of inquiry, to be sure, but not yours).

I'd strongly consider a Colt M4 6920, or the SOCOM, or Trooper. I think the quality and cost curves cross at the Colt. It's a spec grade rifle and at a gun show today, they were selling at a little less than $1000 out the door. I have 20 years experience with ARs and last year got a 6920. It's still low mileage but seems a solid rifle

At least consider the M16A4 type. This is the oldie from before the M4's time. Govt profile 20" barrel, removable carry handle. Colt has reissued this and I believe it sells for about the price of the 6920.

I'm not a Colt fanboy by any stretch, but I think there's a lot of value for a fair price.

I think you'll be happy with any of your choices.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 07-27-19 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I'd assemble my own and get exactly the barrel, handguard, bcg, etc. that I wanted.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibsonBanjos View Post
    I just want to apologize in advance for making another of the “what brand of AR should I get” posts. I just want to be as straight forward as possible. I’ve grew up shooting AR’s my entire life with everyone in my family owning at least a few. It has finally come time for me to buy my own after recently turning 18. I would consider myself fairly knowledgeable in reference to the higher end AR brands, but I am stuck in the process of deciding which to buy my first AR from. I am looking for solid, reliable, and high quality rifle that I could depend on to handle any situation. I have made myself a budget of $1,500 (willing to work a little with it). I’m looking for a 14.5 or a 16 inch barrel, I am a little interested in the 14.5 due to having a few other 16 inch AR’s in our household, but will be fine with a 16. I have done a good amount out research on BCM’s Recce AR’s, Daniel Defense particularly with their V-7, LMT, LWRC, and LaRue. I live on a decent sized farm and we all frequently shoot, predator hunt, and I also would like to of course have the AR for any defense needs at home or on the farm. I am currently in college and am not in the place where I can spend $2,000+ on an AR-15 without making sacrifices to necessities; however, I just want to make sure that I do it the right way and spend enough money to where I am able to have a solid, established brand, well-built, reliable, and dependable AR-15. I also apologize for the paragraph, I just want to make an educated decision.
    The DDV7, any LMT, LWRC, and Larue are great options, but the BCM RECCE 16 would be a fantastic choice for your purpose. I would recommend this one.

http://shop.bravocompanymfg.com/BCM-...750-750-lw.htm

I have two BCM ARs (Jack Carbine and a Mid-16 Mod 2), as well as many others, and I can vouch for their products.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast