Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Top-Tier AR Brand Advice

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Lots of folks recommending the Colt 6920 which was an excellent choice "back in the day". But in light of the recent Crane tests for an all round carbine I would only go with a CHF 14.5 mid length, or 16" if you don't want to deal with a pinned/welded muzzle device.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    You asked for top tier and that brings a lot of different options to the table, but you still have yet to decide on which type of optic you plan to put on top of it, which can and will effect your selection criteria. Additionally, top tier is subjective when it comes to asking people on boards like this. As evidenced by people not recommending some of the "newer" brands.

I guess the real question you should be asking yourself is whether you want a gamer gun, a hobby gun, or a work gun. My guess, based on your requirements, would be that you are looking for a work gun, which would expand the brands available to you by a lot. My first personally owned AR was an LMT and I was issued all manner of the Colt M4/M16 family of weapons while I was on Active duty and in the Guard/Reserves. I have owned, shot or used a lot of different brands over the years and have also leaned heavily on BCM in the past, however, their accuracy can leave a lot to be desired at times. I still have five BCM guns in the safe, which get regular workouts, but I don't plan on buying any more. As of late, I have really been drawn to Sionics Weapons Systems, Sons of Liberty Gun Works and Centurion Arms, when it comes to guns at or below the budget you have set. I personally know the owners of two of those three company's, SOLGW and Centurion, and have talked to Josh and his staff at Sionics on multiple occasions. The quality of the components that are used, and/or manufactured by these three companies are on par or better than some of the bigger brands and a gun from either of them would be my recommendation, based purely on your budget. All three offer mid-length barrels in 14.5 or 16", except for Sionics, which doesn't offer 14.5. You are going to get more customizability from SOLGW, while the guns from Sionics and Centurion will be a little more basic, and there is nothing wrong with that, because the quality of their components are all top notch.

My overall recommendation to you would be to make a list of all of your needs and wants, understanding that they are two different characteristics and that the wants will generally cost you more than your needs, and then go to all of the websites of the guns you are interested and compare your list of needs to the features of the guns in your price range and then make your decision. You will want to do the same thing with the optic you plan on putting on the gun. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by drtywk; 07-28-19 at 12:41.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If I were to buy a factory rifle it would be a Daniel Defense variant with a 16" government profile barrel. Not the lightest option but not really heavy either. I've had a few of those barrels and they have been very accurate with almost every bullet I tried in them. The 75gr Hornady bthp match bullets shot exceptionally accurate through them which surprised me because I never had much luck with those bullets in other barrels.

Feedback Score
    So I have checked into SOLGW's website and I am very impressed as to how much you can customize yourself. I am now in the process of trying to sort through their different models to see which would be best fit. For the BCM route, I've narrowed it down to either the RECCE-16 KMR-A with their Dark Bronze cerakote versus the RECCE-16 with their MCMR. I've read tons of forms and posts about BCM's current quality, and it seems that about half of the people absolutely crap on their accuracy, price for what you get, and that you are just "paying for a brand name" while the other half of people harp on their quality, fit, accuracy, and QC. I know that I shouldn't put all of my focus into other people's opinions and if I could put some rounds through a BCM I would in a heartbeat. Not to create a post within a post, but that is just something I have noticed about reviews and impressions online regarding BCM's firearms and QC.
    Last edited by GibsonBanjos; 07-28-19 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GibsonBanjos View Post
    ...I am currently in college and am not in the place where I can spend $2,000+ on an AR-15 without making sacrifices to necessities; however, I just want to make sure that I do it the right way and spend enough money to where I am able to have a solid, established brand, well-built, reliable, and dependable AR-15. I also apologize for the paragraph, I just want to make an educated decision.
    Spend that $1500 on a study abroad trip. It will be much, MUCH better spent stamping your passport at this particular juncture in your life than wasted on a rifle. You alluded to having 'several' 16-inch rifles in the home. Just use one of those for the time being, focus on your studies, and get abroad if at all possible.

Trust me. You'll look back on a trip overseas far more fondly than on a rifle.

If you're dead set on getting a rifle, I hear that the Army and local PDs are giving them away if you join up. After you finish your degree, you'll be a shoe-in at a PD or set up to commission into the armed forces.

Good luck.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 07-28-19 at 15:50. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Spend that $1500 on a study abroad trip. It will be much, MUCH better spent stamping your passport at this particular juncture in your life than wasted on a rifle. You alluded to having 'several' 16-inch rifles in the home. Just use one of those for the time being, focus on your studies, and get abroad if at all possible.

If you're dead set on getting a rifle, I hear that the Army and local PDs are giving them away if you join up. After you finish your degree, you'll be a shoe-in at a PD or set up to commission into the armed forces.

Good luck.
    Oops. Ignore my response. This is the correct answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Good luck.
    There’s not supposed to be such good, sensible advice on the internet. Knock it off.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I can't really agree with that. The only stuff that would be worthwhile would cost far more than $1,500 IMO. And I don't know about LE, but joining the military because you want your own gun is pretty stupid.
    Last edited by Wake27; 07-28-19 at 19:06.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Good luck.
    Maybe. But if the Democrats take over, the sky's the limit on gun control. Prices for prebans will go insane. You can go abroad any time. You may have a window in which to get the rifle you want. In which case you'll look far more fondly on your rifle than on that trip.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    but joining the military because you want your own gun is pretty stupid.
    You’re not wrong, but its a good gig, and has the potential for learning how to use the rifle, if you work your way into the right Units.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast