Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best non-firearm weapons against viscious dogs?

Feedback Score

Best non-firearm weapons against viscious dogs?

At home and outside of the home.

What are the best tools for discouraging or stopping a dog attack in an environment you'd rather not being firing a gun?

Right now I dont carry pepper spray and not always a suitable knife. I'd have to use my pistol.

At home my go-to (along with having a pistol) would be my Cold Steel spear. One good thrust (okay perhaps a few) to the right place should ensure a quick death that wont get me charged with "cruelty" or "discharging firearms".

I can only carry so many weapons but I may get some spray for the house. Dog attacks aren't always pitbulls and it might look bad to blast, shank, or take the axe handle to a 30lb terrier having a bad day.

So what are the best non-firearm weapons to use against viscious dogs?
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-28-19 at 20:18.

Feedback Score
    How about a Cattle Prod or Stun Gun? When you switch on one of those stun guns, the arcing sound freaks a dog out. They stop in their tracks. The Cattle Prod gives you some stand-off zapping power.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Cattle prod has been effective for me. Had a boss with an aggressive dog. He didn't mess with me when I had the prod but I'm pretty sure he had felt the effects previously lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    Pepper spray. "Counter Assault" is my brand of choice. The 1.4 ounce size is part of my EDC along with a folder in the other pocket and a Surefire in a belt holster. At home and in the car, I have the full size "bear spray" size canisters.

Works like a charm on A-hole dogs and two legged A-holes as well.

I arrived at this brand because a friend of mine owns and trains bears. Every once in a while one of them needs a little reminder to play nicely with the weak humans, and this stuff works. Several of the companies that make pepper spray send him product to try for free. Some of them have shoddy packaging or weak tops. Some of them don't last for very long, and some of them are ineffective. I met the manufacturer at the SHOT show one year and he explained why some of his competitors stuff was crap and how it is supposed to be done. Been using his products, successfully, for about a decade now. The labels wear off of the small canisters in my pocket over time. About once a year, when the wind is favorable, I'll do some practice with the old canister and replace it with a brand new one. I buy cases of the two sizes, so I always have it on hand and give it to friends and family too.

BTW, I'm a dog trainer by profession.

If you are just out walking around your own neighborhood few tools are more effective than a ski pole, or similar stick of some sort, with a tennis ball on the end. When you point that at a dog, most of them are very reluctant to go past it.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    Years ago when I worked on our Cut Out crew, (disconnecting electrical service), we had to deal with dogs all the time. The power company would provide us with a pepper spray that would stop everything but German Shepards. We would buy different brands on our own but never found one that would stop them.

Make sure you practice a lot because it’s critical to get it in their eyes, nose, and mouth on the first try.

Another note: Be SURE the dog poses a threat.. Spray someone’s animal that isn’t attacking and you can face criminal charges. Barking and growling in their yard does not count. I know what I’d do if I caught someone pepper spraying my animal unwarranted.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post

If you are just out walking around your own neighborhood few tools are more effective than a ski pole, or similar stick of some sort, with a tennis ball on the end. When you point that at a dog, most of them are very reluctant to go past it.
    Why is that?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

Benelli M1 Super90 Tactical.

Sorry - I just DON'T take chances with Pit Bulls and the like.

Failing that...

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pulled a can of pepper on a dog that had apparently been sprayed before based on how fast he stopped.

Interested in the tennis ball on a stick details too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jsbhike; 07-28-19 at 22:00.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    FIFY
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post

Flailing that...

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    At home my go-to (along with having a pistol) would be my Cold Steel spear. One good thrust (okay perhaps a few) to the right place should ensure a quick death that wont get me charged with "cruelty" or "discharging firearms".
    States may vary but up here, stabbing a dog with a spear seems guaranteed to bring a criminal prosecution, even if justified self-defense and even if shooting it with a gun, based on the same justification, would not have done so. YMMV, etc.

Without personal experience, post #4 seems right on. It's non-lethal, it's likely to work, and it's legal in most areas even where pistols aren't.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast