Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Daniel Defense DDM V3-5 rifles

Feedback Score

Cool New Daniel Defense DDM V3-5 rifles

Looks like they have 6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Remington models. I thought you needed a 22-24” barrel to maximize the benefit of those rounds though vs 18-20”?

https://danieldefense.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=DD5

https://youtu.be/ZSI8LK4BGo8

My question has to do with the gas block. If adjustable, how does it adjust and is the gas block pinned or set screw? I wonder what suppressors they prefer other than the DD Wave.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/DD5V4/382-292919/

Ambi controls sound nice along with the new charging handle (unclear if it is the ball bearing type like on the first version). The whole appeal would be the DD CHF barrel IMHO (I am only interested in the 16” version for this particular rifle). However, I would still lean towards Knights given their track record and considering they have been working out the bugs all these years. LMT is another proven option.

Bottom line: I am an idiot for wanting a new gun without any time to shoot (only work and two small kids). Not even sure why I need another .308 rifle. Probably would be best to let others be the guinea pig and save up for a Knights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    Looks like they have 6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Remington models. I thought you needed a 22-24” barrel to maximize the benefit of those rounds though vs 18-20”?

https://danieldefense.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=DD5

https://youtu.be/ZSI8LK4BGo8

My question has to do with the gas block. If adjustable, how does it adjust and is the gas block pinned or set screw? I wonder what suppressors they prefer other than the DD Wave.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/DD5V4/382-292919/

Ambi controls sound nice along with the new charging handle (unclear if it is the ball bearing type like on the first version). The whole appeal would be the DD CHF barrel IMHO (I am only interested in the 16” version for this particular rifle). However, I would still lean towards Knights given their track record and considering they have been working out the bugs all these years. LMT is another proven option.

Bottom line: I am an idiot for wanting a new gun without any time to shoot (only work and two small kids). Not even sure why I need another .308 rifle. Probably would be best to let others be the guinea pig and save up for a Knights
    The same can be said about any round really in regards to barrel length . I think with modern bullets, unless you are really shooting out to the outer limits of a cartridges effective range.

A 14.5 inch 6.5 CM, shooting a 147 at 2400fps, will go subsonic at around 1200 yards, and at 800 yards, has about 45 inches of wind drift in a 10 mph crosswind
    A 22 inch 6.5 CM shooting a 147 at 2700fps will go subsonic at around 1400 yards, and at 800 has around 40 inches of drift.

So is gaining 6 inches less wind at 800 worth having an extra 8 inches of barrel? If one plans to run a can on it, you are almost talking about a 30 inch barrel/can combo thats honestly not really practical.

get the gun, its an asset you can sell at any time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

New Daniel Defense DDM V3-5 rifles

I have a V1. It’s an interesting rifle. The gas block is indeed pinned (on V1). From the pictures of the V3-5, the charging handle will be normal. The DD5 upper receiver (at least the V1-2) is almost 100% proprietary both inside and out. It looks like KAC pattern, but it isn’t.

It’s a nice rifle, but in the end, I think I’ll trade mine off for another LMT.
    Last edited by Kyohte; 07-30-19 at 09:25. Reason: Corrected by DD sales rep

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The gas blocks on new DD5s will be attached with two set screws. Yes, the barrel is dimpled. The gas block is adjusted through the right side of the handguard. Just need a 3/32" allen wrench to adjust between the suppressed and unsuppressed settings.

The Ambi Charging Handle is our own design. It's a more traditional design but is not backwards compatible with the DD5 V1 or V2 Uppers. New DD5 Uppers will accept other AR10 style charging handles such as those offered by Radian, Geissele (shown), etc.

Geissele CH In DD5.jpg
    Joe Marler
    Law Enforcement Sales Manager

jmarler@danieldefense.com
    www.danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marler5811 View Post
    The gas blocks on new DD5s will be attached with two set screws. Yes, the barrel is dimpled. The gas block is adjusted through the right side of the handguard. Just need a 3/32" allen wrench to adjust between the suppressed and unsuppressed settings.

The Ambi Charging Handle is our own design. It's a more traditional design but is not backwards compatible with the DD5 V1 or V2 Uppers. New DD5 Uppers will accept other AR10 style charging handles such as those offered by Radian, Geissele (shown), etc.

Geissele CH In DD5.jpg
    Thanks for the clarification. Why backstep to set-screws for the gas block though?

Feedback Score
    Will barrels and bolts/bcg’s be offered as stand alone components? Are the barrel/handguard bolt holes in the receiver helicoiled? The change to the charging handle is welcome.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Double post..
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Geissele CH In DD5.jpg
    Very nice looking rifle(s). Great job on V3/V4/V5. Great to see chrome lined barrels on all of them. It would be great if we could see all three calibers offered on 16" just for mobility as some people prefer.

Feedback Score

Geissele CH In DD5.jpg
    Thanks for the reply (I’m also themao on AR15.com). https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/DD5V4/382-292919/

Good to hear you switched to a conventional AR-10 handle.

Any issues with the gas block coming lose when shooting suppressed over several thousand rounds? That is how I would use this weapon like my SCAR-H. I’d throw a 1-8x scope on top and shoot it mostly suppressed. Sort of surprised you didn’t pin the gas block like all your other rifles or develop something similar to Knight’s armament. Did you make and design the gas block or are you using someone else’s?

Last but not least, can I throw a Geissele trigger in the lower? What weight carbine buffer are you using? I would guess you tuned the gas block to the spring and buffer the rifle comes with.

Hope you guys get a military contract with this rifle. Your barrels are great. I own a DD upper and some of your 6 bolt handguards from way back. Love them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. Why backstep to set-screws for the gas block though?
    That's a question I don't currently have the answer to. I'll speak with the design engineer and get you an answer.
    Joe Marler
    Law Enforcement Sales Manager

jmarler@danieldefense.com
    www.danieldefense.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast