Thread: My 9mm AR came with a 5.56mm A2 flash hider and was factory test fired

Feedback Score

My 9mm AR came with a 5.56mm A2 flash hider and was factory test fired

So, I just got a brand new 9mm AR pistol. I won't mention the manufacturer (who I've contacted), but it was supposed to be a nice pistol. The pistol came with a 1/2x28 thread 5.56mm A2 flash hider and was factory test fired with it. There's bullet jacket and stuck in the A2. I discovered this after having my cleaning rod abruptly stop at the muzzle. I'm wondering if I would be good to go just changing out the muzzle device or if there might be some damage involved. Anyone's guess?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    See what the manufacturer says first before you touch anything - and do let us know what they say. If I had to guess at potential damage, I'd be worried that the threaded part of the barrel might be damaged - maybe stretched threads or not concentric anymore to the bore since the wall isn't that thick on a 9mm barrel with 1/2x28 threads.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, this is a helpful post. My guess is the barrel is shot. 115 grains of a .35 projectile going 1000s was trying to squeeze through a .22 opening sounds problematic to the long term barrel health.

My takeaways:
    1) good reminder of the basic safety inspection on a new gun
    2) another reminder that mistakes happen in assembly, with an OEM or home builds
    3) somebody actually read the forum rules and this did not become an instant thread lock

Hopefully this will be updated in the near future. I have gotten to the point in life that I expect trouble with anything new. Very interested to see what the failure analysis comes out as.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. The opening in the flash hider is bigger than .22 inch, but the thought of the force that was put on it makes me cringe. I'm surprised it's still on tight. Good point about possible damage to the barrel threading. I for sure won't be doing anything with the pistol until I hear back from the manufacturer. The pistol is covered under warranty. I'll let you guys know what they say.

Feedback Score
    I would make the manufacturer take the gun back and give you a new one. That is a lot of stress and no telling how that affected the other parts of the gun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Update to this. The pistol’s being shipped back to the manufacturer for inspection. I’ll update with the verdict about the barrel. Bummed to be without the pistol for a few weeks, since it’s my first and only PCC. Might just use that as an excuse to buy a second one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Androctonus View Post
    Update to this. The pistol’s being shipped back to the manufacturer for inspection. I’ll update with the verdict about the barrel. Bummed to be without the pistol for a few weeks, since it’s my first and only PCC. Might just use that as an excuse to buy a second one.
    Did you get any resolution?

Feedback Score
    Yes, I did. The manufacturer replaced the A2 flash suppressor and sent it back to me. It was determined that no damage occurred. I’ve since fired the pistol and I’m definitely satisfied with its accuracy. No other major issues. All’s well that ends well.